* Switch raid mode without rebalance?
@ 2016-08-25 18:16 Gert Menke
From: Gert Menke @ 2016-08-25 18:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-btrfs

Hi,

I recently created a new btrfs on two disks - one 6TB, one 2TB - for
temporary backup purposes.
It apparently defaulted to raid0 for data, and I didn't realize at the
time that this would become a problem.
Now the 2TB is almost full, and df tells me I only have about 200GB of
free space. Which makes sense, because raid0 spreads the data evenly on
all disks.
However, I know that btrfs can have different raid modes on the same
filesystem at the same time. So I was hoping I could just tell it to
"switch to single mode for all new data", but I don't have a clue how to
do that. I *could* rebalance, of course, but is that really necessary?
How does btrfs find out which raid mode to use when writing new data?

Gert