* Help with Mutt
@ 2018-03-01 20:34 Nishka Dasgupta
From: Nishka Dasgupta @ 2018-03-01 20:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: outreachy-kernel

I have been having trouble loading my inbox into mutt. Consequently, I can't reply properly to emails. How can I address this?

Thank you for your time.

Regards,
Nishka Dasgupta

* Re: [Outreachy kernel] Help with Mutt
@ 2018-03-01 20:37 ` Julia Lawall
From: Julia Lawall @ 2018-03-01 20:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nishka Dasgupta; +Cc: outreachy-kernel

On Fri, 2 Mar 2018, Nishka Dasgupta wrote:

> I have been having trouble loading my inbox into mutt. Consequently, I
> can't reply properly to emails. How can I address this?

I think you will need to give more information.  Do you get some error
message?  Does nothing happen?  Does it crash?  What did you do before, in
terms of setting up configuration files?  etc.  Any particular thing about
the situation that you can think of.

julia

> Thank you for your time.
>
> Regards,
> Nishka Dasgupta

* Help with Mutt
@ 2018-03-01 20:56   ` Nishka Dasgupta
From: Nishka Dasgupta @ 2018-03-01 20:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: outreachy-kernel

This is with response to your email: I think you will need to give more
information. Do you get some error message? Does nothing happen? Does it
crash? What did you do before, in terms of setting up configuration
files? etc. Any particular thing about the situation that you can think
of.

My response to your email is as follows: I followed the instructions at
OutreachyfirstpatchSetup and Outreachyfirstpatch at Linux kernel
newbies. The instructions said to "say 'no' to creating an inbox for
now". That is what I did. If I send an email to myself from within mutt
(using the "m" command) it shows up in the inbox; but no other email
sent to my account is visible. (Up until now I have been viewing emails
and responses in a browser and composing replies in vim.)

In accordance with the instructions, my muttrc file contains the
following lines:
set sendmail="/usr/bin/esmtp"
set envelope_from=yes
set from="Nishka Dasgupta <nishka....ashoka.edu.in>"
set use_from=yes
set edit_headers=yes

My smtp and git appear to be set up fine, since those are how I have
been sending emails so far. However, I don't know how to ensure that
emails sent to my email account show up in mutt. How can I address this?

@ 2018-03-02  6:47     ` Shraddha Barke
From: Shraddha Barke @ 2018-03-02  6:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nishka Dasgupta, outreachy-kernel

On Thu, Mar 1, 2018 at 9:56 PM, Nishka Dasgupta <
nishka.dasgupta_ug18@ashoka.edu.in> wrote:

> This is with response to your email: I think you will need to give more
> information. Do you get some error message? Does nothing happen? Does it
> crash? What did you do before, in terms of setting up configuration
> files? etc. Any particular thing about the situation that you can think
> of.

Hello Nishka,

You don't need to follow this format of responding to emails. Just respond
inline.

My response to your email is as follows: I followed the instructions at
> OutreachyfirstpatchSetup and Outreachyfirstpatch at Linux kernel
> newbies. The instructions said to "say 'no' to creating an inbox for
> now". That is what I did. If I send an email to myself from within mutt
> (using the "m" command) it shows up in the inbox; but no other email
> sent to my account is visible. (Up until now I have been viewing emails
> and responses in a browser and composing replies in vim.)
>
> In accordance with the instructions, my muttrc file contains the
> following lines:
> set sendmail="/usr/bin/esmtp"
> set envelope_from=yes
> set from="Nishka Dasgupta <nishka....ashoka.edu.in>"
> set use_from=yes
> set edit_headers=yes
>
> My smtp and git appear to be set up fine, since those are how I have
> been sending emails so far. However, I don't know how to ensure that
> emails sent to my email account show up in mutt. How can I address this?

So you are able to send emails but not receive them? Is that all your
muttrc file contains? Have you also made a .esmtprc file?
You could try setting up mutt with smtp by searching google for .muttrc
configuration files that use smtp.

Thank you for your time.

> Regards,
> Nishka Dasgupta

> msgid/outreachy-kernel/1519937773-28053-1-git-send-
> email-nishka.dasgupta_ug18%40ashoka.edu.in.

Shraddha

* Re: [Outreachy kernel] Help with Mutt
@ 2018-03-02  7:16       ` Julia Lawall
From: Julia Lawall @ 2018-03-02  7:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Shraddha Barke; +Cc: Nishka Dasgupta, outreachy-kernel

On Fri, 2 Mar 2018, Shraddha Barke wrote:

> On Thu, Mar 1, 2018 at 9:56 PM, Nishka Dasgupta
> <nishka.dasgupta_ug18@ashoka.edu.in> wrote:
>       This is with response to your email: I think you will need to
>       give more
>       information. Do you get some error message? Does nothing happen?
>       Does it
>       crash? What did you do before, in terms of setting up
>       configuration
>       files? etc. Any particular thing about the situation that you
>       can think
>       of.
>

> Hello Nishka,
>
> You don't need to follow this format of responding to emails. Just respond
> inline.

She can't because she doesn't have her inbox, so she has nothing to
respond to...

julia

@ 2018-03-02 18:01     ` Julia Lawall
From: Julia Lawall @ 2018-03-02 18:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nishka Dasgupta; +Cc: outreachy-kernel

On Fri, 2 Mar 2018, Nishka Dasgupta wrote:

> This is with response to your email: I think you will need to give more
> information. Do you get some error message? Does nothing happen? Does it
> crash? What did you do before, in terms of setting up configuration
> files? etc. Any particular thing about the situation that you can think
> of.
>
> My response to your email is as follows: I followed the instructions at
> OutreachyfirstpatchSetup and Outreachyfirstpatch at Linux kernel
> newbies. The instructions said to "say 'no' to creating an inbox for
> now". That is what I did. If I send an email to myself from within mutt
> (using the "m" command) it shows up in the inbox; but no other email
> sent to my account is visible. (Up until now I have been viewing emails
> and responses in a browser and composing replies in vim.)
>
> In accordance with the instructions, my muttrc file contains the
> following lines:
> set sendmail="/usr/bin/esmtp"
> set envelope_from=yes
> set from="Nishka Dasgupta <nishka....ashoka.edu.in>"
> set use_from=yes
> set edit_headers=yes
>
> My smtp and git appear to be set up fine, since those are how I have
> been sending emails so far. However, I don't know how to ensure that
> emails sent to my email account show up in mutt. How can I address this?

Maybe this will be helpful:

https://www.linux.com/news/fetching-email-mutt

julia

> Thank you for your time.
>
> Regards,
> Nishka Dasgupta

* Re:
@ 2018-03-03 18:27       ` Nishka Dasgupta
From: Nishka Dasgupta @ 2018-03-03 18:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: julia.lawall, outreachy-kernel

This is with reference to your link with instructions on how to load my inbox in mutt. The instructions worked and I should be able to access all future correspondence in mutt. (The most recent emails, however, failed to load in mutt, which is why I am still not replying inline.)

Thank you for your help!

Regards,
Nishka Dasgupta

* Re:
@ 2018-03-03 18:38         ` Julia Lawall
From: Julia Lawall @ 2018-03-03 18:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nishka Dasgupta; +Cc: outreachy-kernel

On Sat, 3 Mar 2018, Nishka Dasgupta wrote:

> This is with reference to your link with instructions on how to load my inbox in mutt. The instructions worked and I should be able to access all future correspondence in mutt. (The most recent emails, however, failed to load in mutt, which is why I am still not replying inline.)

OK, it's great that you got the problem solved :)

julia