* ISDB-T tuner
@ 2009-10-19 12:16 Romont Sylvain
From: Romont Sylvain @ 2009-10-19 12:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-media

Hello!

I actually live in Japan, I try to make working a tuner card ISDB-T with
linux. I searched a lot in internet but I find nothing....
How can I make it working?
My tuner card is a Pixela PIXDT090-PE0
in picture here:  http://bbsimg01.kakaku.com/images/bbs/000/208/208340_m.jpg

Thank you for your help!!!

ROMONT Sylvain

* Re: ISDB-T tuner
@ 2009-10-19 19:29 ` Mauro Carvalho Chehab
From: Mauro Carvalho Chehab @ 2009-10-19 19:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Romont Sylvain; +Cc: linux-media

Hi Romont,

Em Mon, 19 Oct 2009 12:16:30 +0000 (GMT)
Romont Sylvain <psgman24@yahoo.fr> escreveu:

> Hello!
>
> I actually live in Japan, I try to make working a tuner card ISDB-T with
> linux. I searched a lot in internet but I find nothing....
> How can I make it working?
> My tuner card is a Pixela PIXDT090-PE0
> in picture here:  http://bbsimg01.kakaku.com/images/bbs/000/208/208340_m.jpg
>
> Thank you for your help!!!

Unfortunately, only the Earthsoft PC1 board and the boards with dibcom 80xx USB
boards are currently supported. In the case of Dibcom, it can support several
different devices, but we may need to add the proper USB ID for the board at the driver.

I'm in Japan during this week for the Kernel Summit and Japan Linux Symposium.

One of objectives I'm expecting from this trip is to get more people involved on
creating more drivers for ISDB and other Asian digital video standards.

Cheers,
Mauro

* Re: ISDB-T tuner
@ 2009-10-19 19:40   ` Markus Rechberger
From: Markus Rechberger @ 2009-10-19 19:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mauro Carvalho Chehab; +Cc: Romont Sylvain, linux-media

On Mon, Oct 19, 2009 at 9:29 PM, Mauro Carvalho Chehab
<mchehab@infradead.org> wrote:
> Hi Romont,
>
> Em Mon, 19 Oct 2009 12:16:30 +0000 (GMT)
> Romont Sylvain <psgman24@yahoo.fr> escreveu:
>
>> Hello!
>>
>> I actually live in Japan, I try to make working a tuner card ISDB-T with
>> linux. I searched a lot in internet but I find nothing....
>> How can I make it working?
>> My tuner card is a Pixela PIXDT090-PE0
>> in picture here:  http://bbsimg01.kakaku.com/images/bbs/000/208/208340_m.jpg
>>
>> Thank you for your help!!!
>
> Unfortunately, only the Earthsoft PC1 board and the boards with dibcom 80xx USB
> boards are currently supported. In the case of Dibcom, it can support several
> different devices, but we may need to add the proper USB ID for the board at the driver.
>
> I'm in Japan during this week for the Kernel Summit and Japan Linux Symposium.
>
> One of objectives I'm expecting from this trip is to get more people involved on
> creating more drivers for ISDB and other Asian digital video standards.

Here we can add that we also have fully working Hybrid/ISDB-T USB
fullseg devices for Linux already, just in case someone is interested
in it.
Feel free to contact me to get some more information about it. The
driver works from Linux 2.6.15 on (easy installation everywhere
without compiling).

Best Regards,
Markus

* Re : ISDB-T tuner
@ 2009-10-19 23:11   ` Romont Sylvain
From: Romont Sylvain @ 2009-10-19 23:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mauro Carvalho Chehab; +Cc: linux-media

Thanks for your answer!!
please find me somebody for make working my tuner! lol
here, in japan, in 2011 the analog TV will stop and only Digital TV will work, the don't stop to speak about it in Tv and newspaper!
So lot of people buy new TV or TV card for computer (like me) and almost all of thess Digital tuner card have the same tuner than mine!
I know lot of people don't use linux because of this.....
If it's working, use it with MythTV is VERY cool!

Thank you for your help!

PS:I have this with the command lspci:
01:00.0 Multimedia controller: Fujitsu Limited. Device 2030 (rev 01)
        Subsystem: Device 1718:0020
        Control: I/O+ Mem+ BusMaster+ SpecCycle- MemWINV- VGASnoop- ParErr- Stepping- SERR+ FastB2B- DisINTx-
        Latency: 0, Cache Line Size: 64 bytes
        Interrupt: pin A routed to IRQ 10
        Region 0: Memory at cfdfc000 (64-bit, prefetchable) [size=16K]
        Region 2: Memory at f9bffc00 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=128]
        Capabilities: <access denied>

PS2: Here my Tuner card:
http://www.pixela.co.jp/products/tv_capture/pix_dt090_pe0/spec.html

Envoyé le : Mar 20 Octobre 2009, 4 h 29 min 13 s
Objet : Re: ISDB-T tuner

@ 2009-10-19 23:16     ` Romont Sylvain
From: Romont Sylvain @ 2009-10-19 23:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Markus Rechberger; +Cc: linux-media

Thank you for your answer!

What do you mean by "Hybrid"?

My tuner is not a USB tuner... (PCI-E)

Here the lspci:
01:00.0 Multimedia controller: Fujitsu Limited. Device 2030 (rev 01)
        Subsystem: Device 1718:0020
        Control: I/O+ Mem+ BusMaster+ SpecCycle- MemWINV- VGASnoop- ParErr- Stepping- SERR+ FastB2B- DisINTx-
        Latency: 0, Cache Line Size: 64 bytes
        Interrupt: pin A routed to IRQ 10
        Region 0: Memory at cfdfc000 (64-bit, prefetchable) [size=16K]
        Region 2: Memory at f9bffc00 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=128]
        Capabilities: <access denied>

Please help me to make it working! lol

Thank you very much!

Envoyé le : Mar 20 Octobre 2009, 4 h 40 min 00 s

On Mon, Oct 19, 2009 at 9:29 PM, Mauro Carvalho Chehab
<mchehab@infradead.org> wrote:
> Hi Romont,
>
> Em Mon, 19 Oct 2009 12:16:30 +0000 (GMT)
> Romont Sylvain <psgman24@yahoo.fr> escreveu:
>
>> Hello!
>>
>> I actually live in Japan, I try to make working a tuner card ISDB-T with
>> linux. I searched a lot in internet but I find nothing....
>> How can I make it working?
>> My tuner card is a Pixela PIXDT090-PE0
>> in picture here:  http://bbsimg01.kakaku.com/images/bbs/000/208/208340_m.jpg
>>
>> Thank you for your help!!!
>
> Unfortunately, only the Earthsoft PC1 board and the boards with dibcom 80xx USB
> boards are currently supported. In the case of Dibcom, it can support several
> different devices, but we may need to add the proper USB ID for the board at the driver.
>
> I'm in Japan during this week for the Kernel Summit and Japan Linux Symposium.
>
> One of objectives I'm expecting from this trip is to get more people involved on
> creating more drivers for ISDB and other Asian digital video standards.

Here we can add that we also have fully working Hybrid/ISDB-T USB
fullseg devices for Linux already, just in case someone is interested
in it.
Feel free to contact me to get some more information about it. The
driver works from Linux 2.6.15 on (easy installation everywhere
without compiling).

Best Regards,
Markus

* Re: Re : ISDB-T tuner
@ 2009-10-20  2:39     ` Mauro Carvalho Chehab
From: Mauro Carvalho Chehab @ 2009-10-20  2:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Romont Sylvain; +Cc: linux-media

Em Mon, 19 Oct 2009 23:11:48 +0000 (GMT)
Romont Sylvain <psgman24@yahoo.fr> escreveu:

> Thanks for your answer!!
> please find me somebody for make working my tuner! lol

For it to work, a developer will need a similar board, and, ideally, having the
chipset datasheets. I'm trying to contact some vendors while here to see if we can
find a way for adding more support on Linux. It would be nice if japanese linux
communities could also try to help on this process.

As I'm living on an ISDB-T Country (Brazil), I'll probably buy some hardware
from myself and try to do some code on my very limited spare time, if I think I'll have
some chance of writing a driver on a short window. Currently, my attributions as the
maintainer is consuming much more time that I wanted, preventing me to have much time
for coding.

> here, in japan, in 2011 the analog TV will stop and only Digital TV will work, the don't stop to speak about it in Tv and newspaper!
> So lot of people buy new TV or TV card for computer (like me) and almost all of thess Digital tuner card have the same tuner than mine!
> I know lot of people don't use linux because of this.....
> If it's working, use it with MythTV is VERY cool!

We'll need some changes at the applications to fully support ISDB-T, as there
are some new API parameters that may need to be used on some situations.

> Thank you for your help!
>
> PS:I have this with the command lspci:
> 01:00.0 Multimedia controller: Fujitsu Limited. Device 2030 (rev 01)
>         Subsystem: Device 1718:0020
>         Control: I/O+ Mem+ BusMaster+ SpecCycle- MemWINV- VGASnoop- ParErr- Stepping- SERR+ FastB2B- DisINTx-
>         Latency: 0, Cache Line Size: 64 bytes
>         Interrupt: pin A routed to IRQ 10
>         Region 0: Memory at cfdfc000 (64-bit, prefetchable) [size=16K]
>         Region 2: Memory at f9bffc00 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=128]
>         Capabilities: <access denied>
>
> PS2: Here my Tuner card:
> http://www.pixela.co.jp/products/tv_capture/pix_dt090_pe0/spec.html

Cheers,
Mauro

* Re: Re : ISDB-T tuner
@ 2009-10-20  3:07       ` Mauro Carvalho Chehab
From: Mauro Carvalho Chehab @ 2009-10-20  3:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Romont Sylvain; +Cc: Markus Rechberger, linux-media

Em Mon, 19 Oct 2009 23:16:26 +0000 (GMT)
Romont Sylvain <psgman24@yahoo.fr> escreveu:

> Thank you for your answer!
>
> What do you mean by "Hybrid"?

Just drop any answer from markus. He is just sending spam trying to sell his
products with closed-source binary drivers. Apparently, his products don't work
or don't have any market acceptance. So, he is trying to sell individual
pieces by abusing this mailing list.

> My tuner is not a USB tuner... (PCI-E)
>
> Here the lspci:
> 01:00.0 Multimedia controller: Fujitsu Limited. Device 2030 (rev 01)
>         Subsystem: Device 1718:0020
>         Control: I/O+ Mem+ BusMaster+ SpecCycle- MemWINV- VGASnoop- ParErr- Stepping- SERR+ FastB2B- DisINTx-
>         Latency: 0, Cache Line Size: 64 bytes
>         Interrupt: pin A routed to IRQ 10
>         Region 0: Memory at cfdfc000 (64-bit, prefetchable) [size=16K]
>         Region 2: Memory at f9bffc00 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=128]
>         Capabilities: <access denied>
>
> Please help me to make it working! lol
>
> Thank you very much!

Cheers,
Mauro

* Re: Re : ISDB-T tuner
@ 2009-10-20  3:41         ` Markus Rechberger
From: Markus Rechberger @ 2009-10-20  3:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mauro Carvalho Chehab; +Cc: Romont Sylvain, linux-media

On Tue, Oct 20, 2009 at 5:07 AM, Mauro Carvalho Chehab
<mchehab@infradead.org> wrote:
> Em Mon, 19 Oct 2009 23:16:26 +0000 (GMT)
> Romont Sylvain <psgman24@yahoo.fr> escreveu:
>
>> Thank you for your answer!
>>
>> What do you mean by "Hybrid"?
>
> Just drop any answer from markus. He is just sending spam trying to sell his
> products with closed-source binary drivers. Apparently, his products don't work
> or don't have any market acceptance. So, he is trying to sell individual
> pieces by abusing this mailing list.

Hybrid means Analog and Digital TV devices.
Mauro this shows up a poor image of you as you neither know our
situation nor anything else about our product. We have alot customers
already.
The devices are much easier to install than your kernel drivers you
know that and fear to loose the importance of the kernel drivers now.
Since you are or were supposed to teach students it will not draw a
good light on you to write incorrect things about other companies or
persons. Please think twice about what you do. If you would care about
your subsystem you would have checked my API bugreports which I sent
earlier already.

By the way some ISDB-T implementations (Japan as far as I know) are
tricky since they require encryption, the current official API model
does not cover this either.

Best Regards,
Markus

* Re: ISDB-T tuner
@ 2009-10-20  3:49 ` Akihiro TSUKADA
                     ` (2 more replies)
From: Akihiro TSUKADA @ 2009-10-20  3:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Romont Sylvain; +Cc: linux-media

> My tuner card is a Pixela PIXDT090-PE0

Hi Romont,

As you might know, all Japanese DTV programs are scrambled with BCAS.
BCAS scrambling algorithm itself is opend in the standard,
but in addition to that, PC devices have to encrypt received data
locally in order to get authorized for BCAS.
So most DTV devices sold in Japan cannot be used in Linux.

Some self-started vendors have sold their devices without BCAS
authentication (thus without local encryption).
They don't/can't include a BCAS PC-card necessary for descrambling,
and users must bring it from elsewhere, which is against the EULA
with the exclusive and private card issuer organization,
or just live with qcif-sized non scrambled 'one seg.' programs in TS.

This is why so few ISDB-T/S devices are supported in Linux.
And Pixela is one of the major vendors with BCAS authentication.
So I'm afraid there is almost no possibility to be supported in Linux.

And just  for you information, in addition to EarthSoft PT1,
there is a driver for 'Friio' ISDB-T USB receiver (which I wrote;) ,
and it is already included in the main repository.
Dibcom is maybe for Brazil and may or may not work in Japan.
(Some of the SKnet HDUS series USB receivers are known to be
 hack-able to avoid local encryption, but of course it's underground.)
----------
  tsukada
--------------------------------------
GyaO! - Anime, Dramas, Movies, and Music videos [FREE]
http://pr.mail.yahoo.co.jp/gyao/

* Re: ISDB-T tuner
@ 2009-10-20  4:04   ` Markus Rechberger
From: Markus Rechberger @ 2009-10-20  4:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Akihiro TSUKADA; +Cc: Romont Sylvain, linux-media

On Tue, Oct 20, 2009 at 5:49 AM, Akihiro TSUKADA <tskd2@yahoo.co.jp> wrote:
>> My tuner card is a Pixela PIXDT090-PE0
>
> Hi Romont,
>
> As you might know, all Japanese DTV programs are scrambled with BCAS.
> BCAS scrambling algorithm itself is opend in the standard,
> but in addition to that, PC devices have to encrypt received data
> locally in order to get authorized for BCAS.
> So most DTV devices sold in Japan cannot be used in Linux.
>
> Some self-started vendors have sold their devices without BCAS
> authentication (thus without local encryption).
> They don't/can't include a BCAS PC-card necessary for descrambling,
> and users must bring it from elsewhere, which is against the EULA
> with the exclusive and private card issuer organization,
> or just live with qcif-sized non scrambled 'one seg.' programs in TS.
>
> This is why so few ISDB-T/S devices are supported in Linux.
> And Pixela is one of the major vendors with BCAS authentication.
> So I'm afraid there is almost no possibility to be supported in Linux.
>
> And just  for you information, in addition to EarthSoft PT1,
> there is a driver for 'Friio' ISDB-T USB receiver (which I wrote;) ,
> and it is already included in the main repository.
> Dibcom is maybe for Brazil and may or may not work in Japan.
> (Some of the SKnet HDUS series USB receivers are known to be
>  hack-able to avoid local encryption, but of course it's underground.)

We are able to handle this legally already. The decryption is directly
implemented into our driver. The driver runs entirely in Userspace and
does not need
any additional kernel modules, our current devices are based on Empia ICs.

The installation is exactly the same as for our ATSC/DVB-T/DVB-C/ATV
Hybrid devices
http://support.sundtek.de/index.php/topic,4.0.html

Another topic are Applications which can handle MPEG4/AAC properly,
1Seg also requires
a dedicated player since none of the available players can handle it correctly.

I'm just adding this so people can get an idea what's currently going
on in the Linux
area for ISDB-T. Everyone's free to make his own decision about buying
devices in
the end.

Best Regards,
Markus Rechberger

* Re: ISDB-T tuner
@ 2009-10-20  7:43   ` Patrick Boettcher
From: Patrick Boettcher @ 2009-10-20  7:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Akihiro TSUKADA; +Cc: Romont Sylvain, linux-media

Hi all,

On Tue, 20 Oct 2009, Akihiro TSUKADA wrote:
> And just  for you information, in addition to EarthSoft PT1,
> there is a driver for 'Friio' ISDB-T USB receiver (which I wrote;) ,
> and it is already included in the main repository.
> Dibcom is maybe for Brazil and may or may not work in Japan.

I'm just stepping in here to clarify Dibcom's ISDB-T support: it's purely
limited to demodulation with the dib8000-driver. Meaning, using a Dibcom
reference-design in Japan will give you the BCAS encrypted transport
stream, not more. This way is primarily used in set-top-boxes and
car-receivers and things like that.

--

Patrick Boettcher - Kernel Labs
http://www.kernellabs.com/

* Re : ISDB-T tuner
@ 2009-10-20 12:54   ` Romont Sylvain
From: Romont Sylvain @ 2009-10-20 12:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Akihiro TSUKADA; +Cc: linux-media

Thank you for the explain!
so, which device can I buy, working in Japan, in linux, and in digital (working after 2011)?
really NOTHING is working??
Thank you very much for your help!

Envoyé le : Mar 20 Octobre 2009, 12 h 49 min 21 s

@ 2009-10-20 13:03     ` Romont Sylvain
From: Romont Sylvain @ 2009-10-20 13:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Patrick Boettcher; +Cc: linux-media, tskd2

Dibcom's tuner is only working in brazil no?
the Brazil's ISDB-T and Japanese one is not excatly same, no?

Envoyé le : Mar 20 Octobre 2009, 16 h 43 min 34 s

@ 2009-10-20 13:16       ` Patrick Boettcher
From: Patrick Boettcher @ 2009-10-20 13:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, 20 Oct 2009, Romont Sylvain wrote:

> Dibcom's tuner is only working in brazil no?
> the Brazil's ISDB-T and Japanese one is not excatly same, no?

On the physical layer it is exactly the same. It is the content
(video/audio/data inside the MPEG2 transport-stream) which differs in the
two countries. This is typically not handled by the 'tuner', but by the
'backend'.

This 'backend' is either another hardware chip or a software-stack. This
is what has to be different between Japan and Brazil.

--

Patrick
http://www.kernellabs.com/

* Re : Re : ISDB-T tuner
@ 2009-10-20 13:29         ` Romont Sylvain
From: Romont Sylvain @ 2009-10-20 13:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Patrick Boettcher; +Cc: linux-media, tskd2

ok...
so it's mean, now, all the  japanese ISDB-T tuner card are not working in linux?

Envoyé le : Mar 20 Octobre 2009, 22 h 16 min 42 s
Objet : Re: Re : ISDB-T tuner

@ 2009-10-20 14:05     ` Akihiro TSUKADA
From: Akihiro TSUKADA @ 2009-10-20 14:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Romont Sylvain; +Cc: linux-media

> so, which device can I buy, working in Japan, in linux, and in digital (working after 2011)?
known to work devices

0. 774 Friio white
 http://www.friio.com/  (in Japanese)
 USB2.0 ISDB-T, with a card-reader device, without BCAS card
 DVB driver: in v4l-dvb main repository

 direct net shopping only, pretty expensive.
 card reader is very unstable due to its large initial
 power consumption,  and pratically needs a self-powered USB hub
 to used this reader. (receiver itself is OK in bus-powered)

1. Earthsoft PT1
 http://earthsoft.jp/PT/index.html  (in Japanese)
 PCI 2xISDB-T + 2xISDB-S, 4 concurrent streaming
 no BCAS card, no card-reader.
 DVB driver: in v4l-dvb main repository

 very popular in this area but discontinued.
 PT2 has been released but highly out of stock, and no driver yet.

2. SKNet MonsterTV HDUS, or HDUSF
 http://www.sknet-web.co.jp/product/mtvhdus.html
 USB2.0 ISDB-T, with BCAS card&reader, remote-controller

 a bit old but maybe most available in stores.
 I don't know much about this device, but it is reported to
 work in Linux, (with some firmware hack?)
 and some people seems to have written DVB driver.
 you may find it from
  http://2sen.dip.jp/cgi-bin/hdusup/upload.cgi
  (up0432.zip??)
 I heard that some another version(series?) have internal encryption and
 are difficult to make it work in Linux.

note 0.
  DVB drivers output scrambled streams as is.
  an user-land application is necessary to descramble.
  stand-alone descrambler:
    http://www.marumo.ne.jp/junk/arib_std_b25-0.2.4.lzh
  patch to mplayer/gstreamer demuxer:
    http://2sen.dip.jp/cgi-bin/dtvup/source/up0176.zip

note 1.
  you have to prepare yourself PC/SC card reader and
  a BCAS card if the device does not bundle them.
  I guess  you already have a BCAS card in hand already;)
  Card reader must be supported by PC/SC to be used with the
  above descrambling applications.
  for example,

http://www.amazon.co.jp/gp/switch-language/product/B001NEIRH0/ref=dp_change_lang?ie=UTF8&language=en_JP
  is told to work, but I'm not sure.

note 2.
  re-using a BCAS card for non-autorized (bundeled) devices
  is probably against the EULA of the card.
  (one seg. programs are not scrambled and can be viewed
   without a BCAS card).

---------
 akihiro
--------------------------------------

@ 2009-10-20 14:49       ` Romont Sylvain
From: Romont Sylvain @ 2009-10-20 14:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Akihiro TSUKADA; +Cc: linux-media

Thanks for your answer!
I will give back my pixela to the shop!
and I think I will choose the SKNet MonsterTV HDUS.
I don't have BCAS card because I will give back the pixela!
Do you think than SKNet MonsterTV HDUS is good?
Can I use it with Mythtv? (if you know mythtv)

Thank you very much for your help!

Envoyé le : Mar 20 Octobre 2009, 23 h 05 min 14 s

@ 2009-10-20 15:38       ` Romont Sylvain
From: Romont Sylvain @ 2009-10-20 15:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Akihiro TSUKADA; +Cc: linux-media

I search a little about the SKNet MonsterTV HDUS and the dvb driver, but I think the BCAS card-reader is not working, is it true?

@ 2009-10-19 11:59 Romont Sylvain