* Proposition - latency histogram
@ 2016-11-28 16:22 Bartłomiej Święcki
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Bartłomiej Święcki @ 2016-11-28 16:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ceph Development

Hi,

Currently we can query OSD for op latency but it's given as an average.
Average may not give
the bets information in this case - i.e. spikes can easily get hidden there.

Instead of an average we could easily do a simple histogram - quantize
the latency into
predefined set of time intervals, for each of them have a simple
performance counter,
at each op increase one of them. Since those are per OSD, we could have
pretty high resolution
with fractional memory usage, performance impact should be negligible
since only one (two if split
into read and write) of those counters would be incremented per one osd op.

In addition we could also do this in 2D - each counter matching given
latency range and op size range.
having such 2D table would show both latency histogram, request size
histogram and combinations of those
(i.e. latency histogram of ~4k ops only).

What do you think about this idea? I can prepare some code - a simple
proof of concept looks really
straightforward to implement.

Bartek