* Is exec still very slow compared to other aspects of UML?
@ 2021-10-06 19:40 Glenn Washburn
From: Glenn Washburn @ 2021-10-06 19:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-um

Hi all,

After reading this blog post[1], which I think is at least several years
old, I'm left wondering how much of an issue is the exec speed. Or
alternatively, could I see a significant speed up by reducing the
number of exec calls. Any one have opinions on this?

Glenn

[1] https://www.kot-begemot.co.uk/node/15

* Re: Is exec still very slow compared to other aspects of UML?
@ 2021-10-06 19:50 ` Anton Ivanov
From: Anton Ivanov @ 2021-10-06 19:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: development, linux-um

On 06/10/2021 20:40, Glenn Washburn wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> After reading this blog post[1], which I think is at least several years
> old, I'm left wondering how much of an issue is the exec speed. Or
> alternatively, could I see a significant speed up by reducing the
> number of exec calls. Any one have opinions on this?
>
> Glenn
>
> [1] https://www.kot-begemot.co.uk/node/15

Yes it is.

It causes a full tlb flush and that is really slow. We have fixed most
other areas, but this one seems to be fundamentally unfixable.

Most of the material on the blog has been migrated to the kernel doc.
The kernel doc is the authoritative source now.

Brgds,

--
Anton R. Ivanov
https://www.kot-begemot.co.uk/