* [OpenRISC] Installing gcc commpiler on openrisc linux
@ 2016-08-24 23:03 Manaar Alam
From: Manaar Alam @ 2016-08-24 23:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: openrisc

Hello,

I have managed to boot Linux on de0-nano board with openrisc. But the
problem is, this linux image doesn't have any C Compiler in it. How to
install C compiler on the linux?

--
*Manaar Alam,*
Junior Research Fellow,

* [OpenRISC] Installing gcc commpiler on openrisc linux
@ 2016-08-24 23:44 ` Stafford Horne
                     ` (2 more replies)
From: Stafford Horne @ 2016-08-24 23:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: openrisc

Hello Manaar,

The openrisc Linux build creates an image with all the tools provided using
busybox (it's in the kernel source tree). So it's basically a busybox
embedded system.  You can Google about adding gcc or another c compiler to
busybox for details.

I don't think it's been done before. Gcc is rather large for de0 nano ;it's
not just gcc but linkers and assemblers and libraries you would want to
link in. However, I wouldnt bet it's impossible if you strip it down.

-Stafford

@ 2016-08-25  7:03   ` Jeremy Bennett
       [not found]   ` <CAFoY_ww=jonkgne6xTis6EvGLJFGTnw_O=HEhCbNZnvQFutO8A@mail.gmail.com>
From: Jeremy Bennett @ 2016-08-25  7:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: openrisc

On 25/08/16 01:44, Stafford Horne wrote:
> Hello Manaar,
>
> The openrisc Linux build creates an image with all the tools provided
> using busybox (it's in the kernel source tree). So it's basically a
> busybox embedded system.  You can Google about adding gcc or another c
> compiler to busybox for details.
>
> I don't think it's been done before. Gcc is rather large for de0 nano
> ;it's not just gcc but linkers and assemblers and libraries you would
> want to link in. However, I wouldnt bet it's impossible if you strip it
> down.

Hi Manaar,

I think you'll struggle to get GCC to work on the DE0-Nano, and even if
you could it would be dreadfully slow.  Getting modern GCC to work on
anything with less than 1GB is pretty hard.  The usual way of running
the OpenRISC tool chain is as a cross-compiler on a PC.

HTH,

Jeremy

> -Stafford
>

> On 25 Aug 2016 8:03 a.m., "Manaar Alam" <alam.manaar@gmail.com
> <mailto:alam.manaar@gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     Hello,
>
>     I have managed to boot Linux on de0-nano board with openrisc. But
>     the problem is, this linux image doesn't have any C Compiler in it.
>     How to install C compiler on the linux?
>
>     --
>     *Manaar Alam,*
>     Junior Research Fellow,
>     Department of Computer Science and Engineering,
>     Indian Institute of Technology, Kharagpur,
>     West Bengal, India.

Tel:     +44 (1590) 610184
Cell:    +44 (7970) 676050
SkypeID: jeremybennett
Twitter: @jeremypbennett
Email:   jeremy.bennett at embecosm.com
Web:     www.embecosm.com
PGP key: 1024D/BEF58172FB4754E1 2009-03-20

* [OpenRISC] Installing gcc commpiler on openrisc linux
@ 2016-08-25  7:13   ` Stefan Wallentowitz
       [not found]   ` <CAFoY_ww=jonkgne6xTis6EvGLJFGTnw_O=HEhCbNZnvQFutO8A@mail.gmail.com>
From: Stefan Wallentowitz @ 2016-08-25  7:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: openrisc

On 25.08.2016 01:44, Stafford Horne wrote:
> Hello Manaar,
>
> The openrisc Linux build creates an image with all the tools provided
> using busybox (it's in the kernel source tree). So it's basically a
> busybox embedded system.  You can Google about adding gcc or another c
> compiler to busybox for details.
>
> I don't think it's been done before. Gcc is rather large for de0 nano
> ;it's not just gcc but linkers and assemblers and libraries you would
> want to link in. However, I wouldnt bet it's impossible if you strip it
> down.
>
> -Stafford

Hi Manaar,

just to add to this and Jeremy's comment: It is not the standard way to
compile inside the target system. Instead you cross-compile on your host
and transfer the binary ELF to the target.

I am not sure if the tutorial already covers adding files to the ramdisk
(the image you load onto the target). Stafford, you are the expert on
this, right?

Cheers,
Stefan

From: Stafford Horne @ 2016-08-25  7:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: openrisc

Hello,

There are two ways.

1.
When building the Linux kernel you can place any files you want under /arch
<https://github.com/openrisc/linux/tree/master/arch>/openrisc
<https://github.com/openrisc/linux/tree/master/arch/openrisc>/support
<https://github.com/openrisc/linux/tree/master/arch/openrisc/support>/
*initramfs* and they will be there when you buy the system.

2. Not got this working myself
When you connect to your serial terminal there are ways to transfer through
the serial connection. You can maybe get builds of zmodem working there.

-Stafford

       [not found]     ` <CAAfxs77h1CeyF2awfWOrKDdGmVW2aGinJPAF_CatfMF4KdWKLg@mail.gmail.com>
@ 2016-08-25  7:19       ` Stafford Horne
From: Stafford Horne @ 2016-08-25  7:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: openrisc

+cc Mailing list.

@ 2016-08-25  8:15         ` Jeremy Bennett
From: Jeremy Bennett @ 2016-08-25  8:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: openrisc

Hi

IIRC we used FTP and telnet when running GCC regression tests.  You
probably need to add this to the BusyBox build.

You should also be able to get ssh/scp working, although I've never done
it.  BusyBox also supports NFS, although when I last looked (some years
ago) it was only NFS 3, not NFS 4, which can cause difficulty, because
they don't co-exist happily.

HTH,

Jeremy

Tel:     +44 (1590) 610184
Cell:    +44 (7970) 676050
SkypeID: jeremybennett
Twitter: @jeremypbennett
Email:   jeremy.bennett at embecosm.com
Web:     www.embecosm.com
PGP key: 1024D/BEF58172FB4754E1 2009-03-20