* Consensus on a new default branch name
@ 2020-06-15 20:57 Taylor Blau
                   ` (4 more replies)
From: Taylor Blau @ 2020-06-15 20:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: git; +Cc: Jeff King, James Ramsay, Bryan Turner

Hello,

Over the past few days or so, there has been significant discussion [1] and
patches [2] about changing the name of the default branch away from 'master' and
towards something else.

Concurrently with this, GitHub, GitLab [3], and Bitbucket are working together
in order to make a similar change across our respective products. Because of
this, we are met with a bit of a challenge: we would like to make these changes
before the next version(s) (and so need to settle on a new default branch name),
but we also want to avoid a situation where the community is fractured (eg.,
GitHub uses 'main', Git uses 'default', etc).

A related question is whether or not we plan to change the default value of
'core.defaultBranchName' at all (once Johannes' patches land, of course). That
seems to be the intent in [4], but forming consensus around this would be good,
too.

So, I would like to form some consensus here as to what the new name should be,
if that is something we're committing to doing. This way, we can make this
decision now (and allow hosts to make their corresponding changes) while still
giving us on the list some time to work on the implementation across one or
more release boundaries.

My interpretation thus far is that 'main' is the planned replacement for
'master'. Consensus seems to have formed around this name [5], but if that's
incorrect--or there are yet-unvoiced opinions that you would like to share--now
is the time to discuss further.

Thanks,
Taylor

[1]: https://lore.kernel.org/git/CAOAHyQwyXC1Z3v7BZAC+Bq6JBaM7FvBenA-1fcqeDV==apdWDg@mail.gmail.com/
[2]: https://lore.kernel.org/git/pull.656.v2.git.1592225416.gitgitgadget@gmail.com/
[3]: https://gitlab.com/gitlab-org/gitlab/-/issues/222204
[4]: https://lore.kernel.org/git/nycvar.QRO.7.76.6.2006111610000.56@tvgsbejvaqbjf.bet/
[5]: https://lore.kernel.org/git/nycvar.QRO.7.76.6.2006091126540.482@ZVAVAG-DN14RQO.ybpnyqbznva/

* Re: Consensus on a new default branch name
@ 2020-06-16  1:58 Nomen Nescio
From: Nomen Nescio @ 2020-06-16  1:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: git

> Over the past few days or so, there has been significant discussion
> [1] and patches [2] about changing the name of the default branch away
> from 'master' and towards something else.

> A related question is whether or not we plan to change the default
> value of 'core.defaultBranchName' at all (once Johannes' patches land,
> of course). That seems to be the intent in [4], but forming consensus
> around this would be good, too.
>
> So, I would like to form some consensus here as to what the new name
> should be,

Some interesting consensus this is trying to form... Let's look at it.

git-for-windows [1]: 76 upvotes, 490 downvotes, overwhelming consensus
in the comments rejecting the proposed change as unwarranted. Result:
comments massively moderated, even though they weren't even in majority
abusive; many dissenters blocked; thread locked, preventing further
input.

GitLab [2]: 23 upvotes, 145 downvotes, rejection in the comments.
Result: thread locked, preventing further input, and an online poll,
that doesn't even offer the option to voice support for keeping the
"master" name.

And in this mailing list: very few people from the community on behalf
of which this is done participating to give their actual opinion on
the issue, and even fewer of them actually supporting the claim that
"master" offends them and should be changed; unspecified people who
apparently believe that "master" offends people, apparently voicing
their opinions in private, which are then apparently not even relayed
but merely vaguely mentioned to us; and on the other side, people who
feel compelled to hide behind others or post anonymously to disagree,
even as their opinion is respectful and attempts to be constructive.

So not just some consensus here, quite some inclusiveness too, this
is achieving: this is put forward in the name of making things more
inclusive, but fails to bring to the table first-hand, people actually
offended by the issue, and makes disagreeing people feel unwelcome - or
enforces them and their input as unwelcome.

Several people are working on the assumption that this change would
surely make a positive impact, even if little, and would be some step
in the right direction. Several people have put forward the argument
explaining to skeptics that it can be difficult to relate to the
struggle of people from a different community without walking in their
shoes, and difficult to understand how they can feel about a certain
issue. Do people putting forward this argument, or the claim that
this community is offended by "master", are themselves part of this
community? If not, how can they be so sure to understand properly
whether and how much this truly offends that community, that they feel
in a position to best speak on their behalf?

Taylor, how do you propose to build this consensus you're talking about
on the name change? Guesswork? What sounds like it has a good ring
to it? Going with the most popular name - i.e., letting the decision
process degenerate into a popularity contest? Whoever yells the loudest,
whatever group or project has most clout? Can you propose a consensus
process that reconciles with the loud majority of commenters who
downvoted this proposal, or justifies why their arguments are not the
right decision criteria?

I know you mean well, and my question is sincere. The stated purpose is
to avoid offending people, based on the premise that some terms offend
people, so I would propose that this would be an important aspect to
correctly assess; in order to base the renaming decision on a real
assessment of what actually offends people, rather than on what some
group says could be offensive, or on some possible drawback with such or
such name that someone did or didn't think to foresee.

So, and this would follow good software development and release
management practices, but even just for the sake of appeasement with
people who think this is not a real issue, and for the sake of going
forward with a constructive process on solid grounds, I would love to
see some data that backs up, details, clarifies and quantifies the claim
that the current "master" name offends people.

I haven't seen any such data so far. All I've seen is a popular trend,
and mentions of groups or projects who have got on board with that trend
- which as I said, is hardly relevant to the merits of its premise. I
haven't seen first-hand accounts of people being offended, anecdotal
or not. I haven't seen serious studies being linked. I haven't seen
representative surveys; opinion polls, especially online, can be
completely skewed and nearly worthless, but I haven't even seen one of
those getting brought forward in support of the name change. I haven't
seen expert or authoritative opinions being brought to the debate as
such.

So I haven't seen any assessment of people being offended by "master",
which could be solved by moving from it; and I haven't seen either
any assessment of whether the change itself would in turn offend and
alienate people who think it is unwarranted, ridiculous, outrageous
and whatnot. I haven't seen any assessment of whether people who find
this proposal offensive are a loud reactionary minority, or a silent
majority. And given the stated purpose of avoiding offending people,
that would seem important to assess too.

So again, I would love to see data that backs up the claim that this
change is necessary to solve a fathomable problem, and will have the
intended impact. I would preferably love measurable and verifiable data,
but any if possible.

I have to assume that people driving this forward would care to make
sure to effect change that actually helps. If not, then you may want
to do some soul-searching; if you don't care to determine whether your
effort actually helps, then you may want to double-check that this isn't
more about virtue signalling, or slacktivism only making yourself feel
good.

And either way, as this is all happening on the public place, putting
forward that data and even just addressing these concerns and processing
this proposal properly would help to reconcile the software community
dividing over this, and strengthen the trust and credibility that
important tools and platforms hold among it.

So please show me the data.

[1]: https://github.com/git-for-windows/git/issues/2674
[2]: https://gitlab.com/gitlab-org/gitlab/-/issues/221164

* Re: Consensus on a new default branch name
@ 2020-06-17  0:01 Anonymous Remailer (austria)
From: Anonymous Remailer (austria) @ 2020-06-17  0:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: git

> I think it's clear that this _is_ a politically-driven change. It is
> not helping the software in any technical way to change the name. The
> question is whether the more abstract benefits to people are worth the
> potential costs.
>
> But I don't think anybody has been able to quantify the benefits in a
> meaningful way. Or at least a way that everyone agrees on.

I'm glad that we can agree on this point, and start giving attention to
it. Thank you, Jeff. It seems that we're still in the dark about how
helpful this change would really be, and whether its impact, if any,
would go into the right direction.

So far, the best evidence I've seen comes from people expressing that
contrary to what is alleged on their behalf, not only the term "master"
does not offend them, but it is in fact this renaming proposal that
comes off as racist and uncomfortable to them; and from the lots of
people expressing dismay and outrage against this proposal that they see
as unwarranted. Please consider that this is still very poor evidence,
and data of poorly ascertained quality. I hope we can hear about data
both of better quality, and from the other side.

Ideally, the first to put forward this convincing data would be the ones
who came forward with this issue in the first place, with the claim
that "master" offends people, and the intent to drive change about it -
so this would be Simon and Don. Simon, Don, can you help here? Strong
elements to back up and ground in reality this obviously controversial
claim could really help to get people on board with this effort; I hope
you don't drop the ball here!