* automatic recipe upgrades - making them better and sweeter
@ 2017-11-06 11:50 Alexander Kanavin
From: Alexander Kanavin @ 2017-11-06 11:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Patches and discussions about the oe-core layer, Richard Purdie,
	Burton, Ross, Paul Eggleton, Leonardo Sandoval

Hello,

I've been asked by RP to look into making automatic package upgrades
work better, so here's what I'd like to improve:

1) when using 'devtool upgrade', remove the need to specify version and
source revision on the command line, if we want to upgrade to the latest
release. There is now distrodata/checkpkg code in place to determine
both, so 'devtool upgrade <recipe>' could simply default to that.

2) help with LICENSE checksum changes a bit more; both devtool and AUH
have some code for this, so I want to review what they do, and
consolidate it in a single place. Maintainers should be able to see a
diff of what the changes are.

3) 'devtool finish' currently does not handle the recipe upgrade
situation well: the new recipe and patches are placed side by side with
the current recipe. The old stuff should be removed, and a tentative
commit should be created. So maybe add a 'devtool finish-upgrade'.

4) AUH should be stripped to its core business: sending useful emails to
maintainers, and leave the rest to devtool. If 'devtool upgrade'
succeeded, then corresponding patches should be attached, otherwise (if
patch rebase failed, or a fetch issue), at least it could tell what
happened and suggest a devtool upgrade command to get started. Any
duplicate functionality for upgrading (stuff that is also in devtool)
should be removed.

Anything I missed? Comments?

Thanks,
Alex