* [Bluez-users] hcid not working - bluez 3.9
@ 2007-03-30  5:46 Sumeet Verma
From: Sumeet Verma @ 2007-03-30  5:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: bluez-users

Hi
I have been trying to bring up bluez-utils-3.9 and hcid is not working. It
says

[root@dlhl0330 tools]# hcid -n
hcid[29560]: Bluetooth HCI daemon
hcid[29560]: Can't connect to system message bus: Failed to connect to
socket /usr/local/var/run/dbus/system_bus_socket: No such file or directory
hcid[29560]: Unable to get on D-Bus

I have looked into the mailing list and followed the mentioned procedure. I
have installed dbus-0.61 and started the system bus by calling dbus-launch

[root@dlhl0330 dbus]# dbus-launch
DBUS_SESSION_BUS_ADDRESS='unix:abstract=/tmp/dbus-
BcAG8pbfI2,guid=adea0b46b6c8607cd9bc4162ffe90200';
DBUS_SESSION_BUS_PID=29606;
[root@dlhl0330 dbus]#

I can see the dbus-daemon running when is do ps -e

system_bus_socket is present at the location /var/run/dbus/system_bus_socket
Is there any way I can configure hcid to take the system_bus_socket
from /var/run/dbus instead of /usr/local/var/run/dbus

Please suggest.

Sumeet

* Re: [Bluez-users] hcid not working - bluez 3.9
@ 2007-03-31 13:46 ` Marcel Holtmann
From: Marcel Holtmann @ 2007-03-31 13:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: BlueZ users

Hi Sumeet,

> I have been trying to bring up bluez-utils-3.9 and hcid is not working. It
> says
>
> [root@dlhl0330 tools]# hcid -n
> hcid[29560]: Bluetooth HCI daemon
> hcid[29560]: Can't connect to system message bus: Failed to connect to
> socket /usr/local/var/run/dbus/system_bus_socket: No such file or directory
> hcid[29560]: Unable to get on D-Bus
>
> I have looked into the mailing list and followed the mentioned procedure. I
> have installed dbus-0.61 and started the system bus by calling dbus-launch
>
> [root@dlhl0330 dbus]# dbus-launch
> DBUS_SESSION_BUS_ADDRESS='unix:abstract=/tmp/dbus-
> BcAG8pbfI2,guid=adea0b46b6c8607cd9bc4162ffe90200';
> DBUS_SESSION_BUS_PID=29606;
> [root@dlhl0330 dbus]#
>
> I can see the dbus-daemon running when is do ps -e
>
> system_bus_socket is present at the location /var/run/dbus/system_bus_socket
> Is there any way I can configure hcid to take the system_bus_socket
> from /var/run/dbus instead of /usr/local/var/run/dbus

the session bus is not the same as the system bus. You need a running
system bus for hcid. And normally your distribution ensures that it is
setup correctly.

Regards

Marcel

* Re: [Bluez-users] hcid not working - bluez 3.9
@ 2007-04-02  6:23   ` Sumeet VERMA
From: Sumeet VERMA @ 2007-04-02  6:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'BlueZ users'

Hi Marcel,
How would I know that the system bus is up and running? Basically I think
the problem is the socket system_bus_socket is created in /var/run/dbus
instead of /usr/local/var/run/dbus.

I tried to configure the dbus-0.61 package with the following string

./configure --prefix=/usr/local --disable-gtk --disable-selinux
--with-session-socket-dir=/usr/local/var/run/dbus
--with-dbus-user=messagebus --with-test-socket-dir=/usr/local/var/run/dbus
But still it doesn't work.

Any pointers?

Regards,

Sumeet

@ 2007-04-02 12:14     ` Claudio Takahasi
From: Claudio Takahasi @ 2007-04-02 12:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: BlueZ users

On 4/2/07, Sumeet VERMA <sumeet.verma@st.com> wrote:
> Hi Marcel,
> How would I know that the system bus is up and running? Basically I think
> the problem is the socket system_bus_socket is created in /var/run/dbus
> instead of /usr/local/var/run/dbus.
>
> I tried to configure the dbus-0.61 package with the following string
>
> ./configure --prefix=/usr/local --disable-gtk --disable-selinux
> --with-session-socket-dir=/usr/local/var/run/dbus
> --with-dbus-user=messagebus --with-test-socket-dir=/usr/local/var/run/dbus
> But still it doesn't work.
>
> Any pointers?
>
> Regards,
>
> Sumeet

Hi Sumeet,

Here are my message BUS processes  running:

1001      4725     1  0 08:36 ?        00:00:00 /usr/bin/dbus-daemon
--fork --print-pid 8 --print-address 6 --session
104       6791     1  0 09:07 ?        00:00:00 /usr/bin/dbus-daemon --system

Check the following lock file in order to verify if the system BUS is running:
/var/run/dbus/pid

Remove this file if the system message BUS is not running and execute
"dbus-daemon --system"

BR,
Claudio.
Claudio Takahasi
Instituto Nokia de Tecnologia - INdT

@ 2007-04-09  8:23       ` Sumeet VERMA
From: Sumeet VERMA @ 2007-04-09  8:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'BlueZ users'

Hi Claudio
I have already done that. I remove the file
/usr/local/var/run/messagebus.pid and run dbus-daemon --system
The dbus-daemon is also started in the background.
The problem is system_bus_socket is present in /var/run/dbus and not created
in /usr/local/var/run/dbus
Is it possible to configure hcid so that it takes the system_bus_socket from
/var/run/dbus

One more question:- There  is a default version of dbus installed (0.22).
system_bus_socket is also present at /var/run/dbus (I think it is created by
the default version of dbus). When I install dbus-0.61, there is no
system_bus_socket created in /usr/local/var/run/dbus. How do I overcome this
problem?

My distribution is Red Hat Linux Kernelversion - 2.6.9-42

BR,
Sumeet