* Improper Handling for Messages That Do Not Specify Source/Address Port
@ 2023-11-10 10:20 Sicelo
From: Sicelo @ 2023-11-10 10:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ofono

Hi

While running ofono in debug mode, I discovered that there are certain
types of sms-like messages that arrive in ofono core, but are discarded
without being sent to the client. For these, the ofono log shows a lot
of:

  ofonod[3424627]: Got an 8-bit encoded message, however no valid src/address port, ignore

These messages are valid, and ofono should not discard them. In my case,
for example, the messages come in while connected to mobile data. They
are sent by the carrier periodically to notify me about the credit that
has been deducted from my prepaid plan.

At first, I thought the issue was on the isimodem driver, but I later
found the same log on my laptop, whose modem uses plugin/ericsson-mbm.

I am currently working on other issues that I have with ofono on my
platform (isimodem), otherwise I would try to work on it.

Hope the report is clear enough. I can provide more information if
needed.

Sincerely
Sicelo

* Re: Improper Handling for Messages That Do Not Specify Source/Address Port
@ 2023-11-12 18:34 ` Denis Kenzior
From: Denis Kenzior @ 2023-11-12 18:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sicelo, ofono

Hi Sicelo,

On 11/10/23 04:20, Sicelo wrote:
> Hi
>
> While running ofono in debug mode, I discovered that there are certain
> types of sms-like messages that arrive in ofono core, but are discarded
> without being sent to the client. For these, the ofono log shows a lot
> of:
>
>    ofonod[3424627]: Got an 8-bit encoded message, however no valid src/address port, ignore

When that code was written, this was what the spec wanted.  There was no way to
identify the 8-bit character set of SMS messages, any 8-bit messages had to be a
binary SMS with port/destination provided.

Maybe this has changed since, but I'd need some link / document to refer to ...

> These messages are valid, and ofono should not discard them. In my case,
> for example, the messages come in while connected to mobile data. They
> are sent by the carrier periodically to notify me about the credit that
> has been deducted from my prepaid plan.

Sure, so how does oFono interpret these? ASCII? Latin1? UTF8?

Regards,
-Denis

* Re: Improper Handling for Messages That Do Not Specify Source/Address Port
@ 2023-11-12 20:29   ` Sicelo
From: Sicelo @ 2023-11-12 20:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Denis Kenzior; +Cc: ofono

Hi Denis

On Sun, Nov 12, 2023 at 12:34:29PM -0600, Denis Kenzior wrote:
> Hi Sicelo,
>
> On 11/10/23 04:20, Sicelo wrote:
> > Hi
> >
> > While running ofono in debug mode, I discovered that there are certain
> > types of sms-like messages that arrive in ofono core, but are discarded
> > without being sent to the client. For these, the ofono log shows a lot
> > of:
> >
> >    ofonod[3424627]: Got an 8-bit encoded message, however no valid src/address port, ignore
> >

> When that code was written, this was what the spec wanted.  There was no way
> to identify the 8-bit character set of SMS messages, any 8-bit messages had
> to be a binary SMS with port/destination provided.
>
> Maybe this has changed since, but I'd need some link / document to refer to ...

I am also not sure, but on an Android phone, for example, it shows up
somewhat similar to what most of us call flash messages.

> > These messages are valid, and ofono should not discard them. In my case,
> > for example, the messages come in while connected to mobile data. They
> > are sent by the carrier periodically to notify me about the credit that
> > has been deducted from my prepaid plan.
>
> Sure, so how does oFono interpret these? ASCII? Latin1? UTF8?

From tracing on isimodem on the Nokia N900, it seemed to be plain ASCII,
i.e. one byte-per-character. Unfortunately this message is carrier
initiated, so I don't have an easy way to get them to send it at will.

When I eventually get to it, I guess I will start by testing with
commenting out the code that checks for the src/dst port, and see where
things go.

Sicelo