* Enable histograms for events/ftrace/timerlat and osnoise
@ 2023-03-24 16:13 Daniel Bristot de Oliveira
From: Daniel Bristot de Oliveira @ 2023-03-24 16:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Steven Rostedt; +Cc: Masami Hiramatsu, Tom Zanussi, LKML

Hi Steven

I would like to collect histograms from timerlat and osnoise tracers event,
but I cannot collect them because they are not tracepoints but... tracer
events. So...

  # ls /sys/kernel/tracing/events/ftrace/timerlat/
  format	hist

no hist, filter, trigger files...

How hard would it be to enable histograms to the ftrace/osnoise and
ftrace/timerlat events?

This will allow me to reduce the overhead of rtla timerlat and rtla osnoise
tools...

Thanks in advance, Stephen!
-- Denny

* Re: Enable histograms for events/ftrace/timerlat and osnoise
@ 2023-03-27 12:37 ` Daniel Bristot de Oliveira
From: Daniel Bristot de Oliveira @ 2023-03-27 12:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Steven Rostedt; +Cc: Masami Hiramatsu, Tom Zanussi, LKML

On 3/24/23 17:13, Daniel Bristot de Oliveira wrote:
> Hi Steven
>
> I would like to collect histograms from timerlat and osnoise tracers event,
> but I cannot collect them because they are not tracepoints but... tracer
> events. So...
>
>   # ls /sys/kernel/tracing/events/ftrace/timerlat/
>   format	hist
>
> no hist, filter, trigger files...

Ooop, the hist file exists, what is missing is the trigger file, which is
used to enable the histogram...

it seems that the "limitation" is around TRACE_EVENT_FL_IGNORE_ENABLE flag, and
the fact that ftrace events cannot be enabled/disabled...

but wait, as the hist file exist, is there any other way to enable
the histogram? (or should we disable hist files for !TRACE_EVENT_FL_IGNORE_ENABLE)?

am I missing something?

@ 2023-03-27 15:27   ` Steven Rostedt
From: Steven Rostedt @ 2023-03-27 15:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Daniel Bristot de Oliveira; +Cc: Masami Hiramatsu, Tom Zanussi, LKML

On Mon, 27 Mar 2023 14:37:11 +0200
Daniel Bristot de Oliveira <bristot@redhat.com> wrote:

> On 3/24/23 17:13, Daniel Bristot de Oliveira wrote:
> > Hi Steven
> >
> > I would like to collect histograms from timerlat and osnoise tracers event,
> > but I cannot collect them because they are not tracepoints but... tracer
> > events. So...
> >
> >   # ls /sys/kernel/tracing/events/ftrace/timerlat/
> >   format	hist
> >
> > no hist, filter, trigger files...
>
> Ooop, the hist file exists, what is missing is the trigger file, which is
> used to enable the histogram...
>
> it seems that the "limitation" is around TRACE_EVENT_FL_IGNORE_ENABLE flag, and
> the fact that ftrace events cannot be enabled/disabled...
>
> but wait, as the hist file exist, is there any other way to enable
> the histogram? (or should we disable hist files for !TRACE_EVENT_FL_IGNORE_ENABLE)?

No, I think we just missed not creating the "hist" file, which should not
actually exist.

> am I missing something?
>
> > How hard would it be to enable histograms to the ftrace/osnoise and
> > ftrace/timerlat events?

I'll try to get some time to look at this. No guarantees :-p

-- Steve