* [U-Boot] OT Flashing high volume of devices
@ 2010-11-18 20:25 Hamilton Vera
From: Hamilton Vera @ 2010-11-18 20:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: u-boot

Hi folks this is probably out off topic, we are happily using uboot in
our devices but I am wondering about the procedures to flash/deploy
uboot (or any bootloader) in a high scale production environment.

Are you guys aware of any documentation or procedure to do that?

Sorry about the off topic, but I am not finding useful info at google.

Thanks

--
Hamilton Vera
int Administrator (char Network[],char ComputationalSystems[])

* [U-Boot] OT Flashing high volume of devices
@ 2010-11-18 20:39 ` Wolfgang Denk
From: Wolfgang Denk @ 2010-11-18 20:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: u-boot

Dear Hamilton Vera,

In message <AANLkTim-w-ijiNpPMsmUM++9MwWsxbOntOdPb5HH6D0Z@mail.gmail.com> you wrote:
> Hi folks this is probably out off topic, we are happily using uboot in
> our devices but I am wondering about the procedures to flash/deploy
> uboot (or any bootloader) in a high scale production environment.

What sort of boot device are you using?  NOR flash? NAND flash?

For high volumes, you can get pre-programmed flash chips, so you have
a running system when the boards come from assembly.

Best regards,

Wolfgang Denk

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
Computers are not intelligent.  They only think they are.

* [U-Boot] OT Flashing high volume of devices
@ 2010-11-18 20:50   ` Peter Barada
From: Peter Barada @ 2010-11-18 20:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: u-boot

On 11/18/2010 03:39 PM, Wolfgang Denk wrote:
> Dear Hamilton Vera,
>
> In message<AANLkTim-w-ijiNpPMsmUM++9MwWsxbOntOdPb5HH6D0Z@mail.gmail.com>  you wrote:
>
>> Hi folks this is probably out off topic, we are happily using uboot in
>> our devices but I am wondering about the procedures to flash/deploy
>> uboot (or any bootloader) in a high scale production environment.
>>
> What sort of boot device are you using?  NOR flash? NAND flash?
>
> For high volumes, you can get pre-programmed flash chips, so you have
> a running system when the boards come from assembly.

Indeed, pre-programing flash used in the board assembly is the way to
go.  Most manufacturers make the initial image a self-test program that
initially exercise all I/O (the board is initially powered up attached
to a test/burn-in fixture), and if the test succeeds, then re-burns the
flash with the production image(u-boot/Linux/rootfs or otherwise) that
is part of the test-image.  If the test fails, then the board is
rejected and reworked to diagnose/fix found issues (cold-solder, lifted
pins, etc).

Speed of testing/initial burn-in can be increased by running more than
one fixture in parallel.

--
Peter Barada
peterb at logicpd.com

* [U-Boot] OT Flashing high volume of devices
@ 2010-11-18 20:52   ` Hamilton Vera
From: Hamilton Vera @ 2010-11-18 20:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: u-boot

Dear Wolfgang, thanks for your reply.

Actually we are using NAND, since NAND usually comes with some bad
blocks from the provider I am worried about the procedure and best
practices.

Thank you a lot.

Hamilton Vera

@ 2010-11-18 21:52 ` Grant Edwards
From: Grant Edwards @ 2010-11-18 21:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: u-boot

On 2010-11-18, Hamilton Vera <hamilton.listas@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi folks this is probably out off topic, we are happily using uboot in
> our devices but I am wondering about the procedures to flash/deploy
> uboot (or any bootloader) in a high scale production environment.
>
> Are you guys aware of any documentation or procedure to do that?

Send the hex file to the flash distributor and have them do it.

--
Grant Edwards               grant.b.edwards        Yow! I'm meditating on
                                  at               the FORMALDEHYDE and the

* [U-Boot] OT Flashing high volume of devices
@ 2010-11-19 12:33   ` Hamilton Vera
From: Hamilton Vera @ 2010-11-19 12:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: u-boot

Thank you all, I appreciate very much your tips.

We will study this tactic with our staff in China.

Thanks a lot.

Hamilton Vera