* Trying to build "ceph-client-standalone" under kernel 2.6.32
@ 2012-03-13 14:55 Bryan Wright
From: Bryan Wright @ 2012-03-13 14:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ceph-devel

Hi folks,

     I'm trying to build the kernel client, following the directions here:

http://ceph.newdream.net/wiki/Building_kernel_client

I'm doing this under 32-bit CentOS 5.7 with a 2.6.32 kernel.  (Ultimately, I'll
have both 32-bit and 64-bit clients.)  My understanding is that the fuse
implementation won't work on 32-bit clients because fuse can't deal with ceph's
long inode numbers on that platform, so I'm trying to compile a kernel module
that I can maintain with dkms.

     The problem is that when I try "make -C libceph", I get errors of the form:

/usr/src/ceph-client-standalone/libceph/ceph_common.c:9:28: error:
keys/ceph-type.h: No such file or directory

      What am I doing wrong here?  Any advice would be appreciated.

                                              Thanks,
                                              Bryan

* Re: Trying to build "ceph-client-standalone" under kernel 2.6.32
@ 2012-03-13 18:29 ` Tommi Virtanen
From: Tommi Virtanen @ 2012-03-13 18:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bryan Wright; +Cc: ceph-devel

On Tue, Mar 13, 2012 at 07:55, Bryan Wright
<bkw1a@ayesha.phys.virginia.edu> wrote:
> I'm doing this under 32-bit CentOS 5.7 with a 2.6.32 kernel.  (Ultimately, I'll
>     The problem is that when I try "make -C libceph", I get errors of the form:
>
> /usr/src/ceph-client-standalone/libceph/ceph_common.c:9:28: error:
> keys/ceph-type.h: No such file or directory

I'm afraid the standalone tree is not really kept up to date, and
adjusting for the changes in the mainline kernel is making it ever
harder to do so.

Perhaps you could use a newer kernel on your CentOS install?

Or just run 64-bit and use FUSE. It's been a long time since I saw a
server that couldn't do 64-bit, or had less than 4GB of RAM.

* Re: Trying to build "ceph-client-standalone" under kernel 2.6.32
@ 2012-03-13 18:40 ` Bryan Wright
From: Bryan Wright @ 2012-03-13 18:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ceph-devel

Bryan Wright <bkw1a <at> ayesha.phys.virginia.edu> writes:

> I'm doing this under 32-bit CentOS 5.7 with a 2.6.32 kernel.

Sorry, let me correct that: I'm actually doing this under CentOS 6.2 with a
2.6.32 kernel.  We also have a bunch of CentOS 5.7 machines, but they'll be
upgraded before I try to make them ceph clients.

     Regarding the possibility of using a later kernel, I could do that, but
then I'd need to worry more about keeping on top of security updates.  If I can
use the stock CentOS kernel, then I can just let the CentOS maintainers worry
about that.

     Regarding the possibility of moving the 32-bit machines to 64-bit, it's an
option, but there's otherwise very little pressure to make the move, and some
trepidation about what might break.  For us, a 32-bit kernel with PAE has been a
fine configuration.

@ 2012-03-13 22:54   ` Tommi Virtanen
From: Tommi Virtanen @ 2012-03-13 22:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bryan Wright; +Cc: ceph-devel

On Tue, Mar 13, 2012 at 11:40, Bryan Wright
<bkw1a@ayesha.phys.virginia.edu> wrote:
> Sorry, let me correct that: I'm actually doing this under CentOS 6.2 with a
> 2.6.32 kernel.
>     Regarding the possibility of using a later kernel, I could do that, but
> then I'd need to worry more about keeping on top of security updates.  If I can
> use the stock CentOS kernel, then I can just let the CentOS maintainers worry
> about that.
>
>     Regarding the possibility of moving the 32-bit machines to 64-bit, it's an
> option, but there's otherwise very little pressure to make the move, and some
> trepidation about what might break.  For us, a 32-bit kernel with PAE has been a
> fine configuration.

Sorry, I don't have much else to tell you. We're not currently burning
developer hours in backporting the kernel client to old kernels. An
older version of ceph-client-standalone.git might work, or it might
not -- we don't regression test that code. If your need is big enough,
I'm sure the professional services side will take good care of you ;)

As for 64-bit, I've used it everywhere for a long time and haven't had
major breakage. I think it's a smaller risk than running an old ceph
kernel client on 2.6.32.