* [LARTC] Newbie question
@ 2002-02-27 11:11 suresh
                   ` (12 more replies)
From: suresh @ 2002-02-27 11:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: lartc

Hello All,

I have two Internet link and two LAN networks
I have Redhat-7.1 linux-2.4.17 kernel and 2 NICs
In eth0 172.16.1.1 and eth0:1 192.168.1.1
in eth1 are public ips of isps as eth1 a.b.c.d and eth1:0 w.x..y.z

I want do source routing using ip rule command.

echo 200 isp1 >> /etc/iproute2/rt_tables
ip rule add from 172.16.1.0/24 table isp1
ip rule ls
0:      from all lookup local
32765:  from 172.16.1.0/24 lookup isp1
32766:  from all lookup main
32767:  from all lookup default

ip route add default via a.b.c.d dev eth1 table isp1
ip route flush cache

Its work fine when request comes from 172.16.1.0 netwok

When i add
ip route add default via w.x.y.z dev eth1

to forward request from another lan network it works fine
but req from 172.16.1.0 does not work

if i remove
ip route del default via w.x.y.z dev eth1

its work well.

Did i leaveout anything in configuration?

Is my confifuration is correct?

Thanks,
Suresh

* Re: [LARTC] Newbie question
@ 2002-02-28 11:44 ` Ard van Breemen
                   ` (11 subsequent siblings)
From: Ard van Breemen @ 2002-02-28 11:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: lartc

On Wed, Feb 27, 2002 at 04:29:23PM +0530, suresh wrote:
> I have two Internet link and two LAN networks
> I have Redhat-7.1 linux-2.4.17 kernel and 2 NICs
> In eth0 172.16.1.1 and eth0:1 192.168.1.1
> in eth1 are public ips of isps as eth1 a.b.c.d and eth1:0 w.x..y.z
>
> I want do source routing using ip rule command.
>
> echo 200 isp1 >> /etc/iproute2/rt_tables
> ip rule add from 172.16.1.0/24 table isp1
> ip rule ls
> 0:      from all lookup local
> 32765:  from 172.16.1.0/24 lookup isp1
> 32766:  from all lookup main
> 32767:  from all lookup default
>
> ip route add default via a.b.c.d dev eth1 table isp1
> ip route flush cache
>
> Its work fine when request comes from 172.16.1.0 netwok
>
> When i add
> ip route add default via w.x.y.z dev eth1
>
> to forward request from another lan network it works fine
> but req from 172.16.1.0 does not work
>
> if i remove
> ip route del default via w.x.y.z dev eth1
>
> its work well.
>
> Did i leaveout anything in configuration?
Yep: by adding the rule:
ip rule add from 172.16.1.0/24 table isp1
everything *WILL* go to table isp1.
In my experience everything even local traffic that matches the rule
will go to the isp1 table, and hence will be routed to the gateway.

Use a normal routing table for isp1:
For instance:
ip route add 172.16.1.0/24 dev {right device} scope link
to make sure that you can still route back to 172.16.1.0...

Anyway: tcpdumping all of your interfaces will make you clear what is
actually happenning.

Thinking about it: it only contains a default route, which means, it
only knows that it should route to that default gateway.
The default is I guess some sort of end point in a routing table.

--
<ard@telegraafnet.nl> Telegraaf Elektronische Media  http://wwwijzer.nl
http://leerquoten.monster.org/ http://www.faqs.org/rfcs/rfc1855.html

* Re: [LARTC] Newbie question
@ 2002-02-28 12:30 ` suresh
                   ` (10 subsequent siblings)
From: suresh @ 2002-02-28 12:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: lartc

Hi  Ard,
Actually i need to distribute the traffic to two different routers.
So I tried to send traffic from 172.16.1.0/24 to a.b.c.d and another network
through
w.x.y.z

Thanks
Suresh

@ 2002-02-28 12:31 ` Arthur van Leeuwen
                   ` (9 subsequent siblings)
From: Arthur van Leeuwen @ 2002-02-28 12:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: lartc

On Thu, 28 Feb 2002, Ard van Breemen wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 27, 2002 at 04:29:23PM +0530, suresh wrote:
> > In eth0 172.16.1.1 and eth0:1 192.168.1.1
> > in eth1 are public ips of isps as eth1 a.b.c.d and eth1:0 w.x..y.z

> > echo 200 isp1 >> /etc/iproute2/rt_tables
> > ip rule ls
> > 0:      from all lookup local
> > 32765:  from 172.16.1.0/24 lookup isp1
> > 32766:  from all lookup main
> > 32767:  from all lookup default

> > ip route add default via a.b.c.d dev eth1 table isp1
> > ip route flush cache

> > Its work fine when request comes from 172.16.1.0 netwok
> > When i add   ip route add default via w.x.y.z dev eth1
> > to forward request from another lan network it works fine
> > but req from 172.16.1.0 does not work
> > if i remove  ip route del default via w.x.y.z dev eth1
> > its work well.

> > Did i leaveout anything in configuration?

> Yep: by adding the rule:
> ip rule add from 172.16.1.0/24 table isp1
> everything *WILL* go to table isp1.

Bzt. Every packet with a source address matching 172.16.1.0 will have
table isp1 searched first. If no route comes up for it the packet will still
be routed according to table main.

> In my experience everything even local traffic that matches the rule
> will go to the isp1 table, and hence will be routed to the gateway.

Local traffic should not be routed over this host anyway. The only thing
that will break is traffic from this host to the local network.

> Use a normal routing table for isp1:
> For instance:
> ip route add 172.16.1.0/24 dev {right device} scope link
> to make sure that you can still route back to 172.16.1.0...

This is good advice. Very good advice. It makes for a much clearer
configuration.

> Anyway: tcpdumping all of your interfaces will make you clear what is
> actually happenning.

Not always. Besides, the information you need is in the routing tables...
why not look at that instead and try to figure out what should happen?

(Ofcourse, this will not show programs sneakily changing the TOS of a
connection... but still... the information can be found in the routing
tables, if you count the cache as a routing table as well... :))

> Thinking about it: it only contains a default route, which means, it
> only knows that it should route to that default gateway.
> The default is I guess some sort of end point in a routing table.

Any route is an endpoint. Once a route has been found, the routing algorithm
will quit searching, and just route out that route. This has interesting
consequences, as the first thing searched is always the cache... and you can
even manipulate *that* by hand. >:)

Doei, Arthur.

--
  /\    / |      arthurvl@sci.kun.nl      | Work like you don't need the money
 /__\  /  | A friend is someone with whom | Love like you have never been hurt

* Re: [LARTC] Newbie question
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2002-02-28 13:24 ` Ard van Breemen
                   ` (8 subsequent siblings)
From: Ard van Breemen @ 2002-02-28 13:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: lartc

On Thu, Feb 28, 2002 at 01:31:36PM +0100, Arthur van Leeuwen wrote:
> > Yep: by adding the rule:
> > ip rule add from 172.16.1.0/24 table isp1
> > everything *WILL* go to table isp1.
> Bzt. Every packet with a source address matching 172.16.1.0 will have
> table isp1 searched first. If no route comes up for it the packet will still
> be routed according to table main.
Yes, but that table contains a default route.
And since the gateway is accessible, it ends there...
> > In my experience everything even local traffic that matches the rule
> > will go to the isp1 table, and hence will be routed to the gateway.
> Local traffic should not be routed over this host anyway. The only thing
> that will break is traffic from this host to the local network.
If you have a local ip in that network (172.16.1.0/24), and connect to
that local ip...
> > Use a normal routing table for isp1:
> > For instance:
> > ip route add 172.16.1.0/24 dev {right device} scope link
> > to make sure that you can still route back to 172.16.1.0...
> This is good advice. Very good advice. It makes for a much clearer
> configuration.
It is not only clear, but also necessary in this case.
Because the next line is a default route...
Ehhh, unless the machine is not link local to 172.16.1.0/24...
> > Anyway: tcpdumping all of your interfaces will make you clear what is
> > actually happenning.
> Not always. Besides, the information you need is in the routing tables...
> why not look at that instead and try to figure out what should happen?
>
> (Ofcourse, this will not show programs sneakily changing the TOS of a
> connection... but still... the information can be found in the routing
> tables, if you count the cache as a routing table as well... :))
Allright, if you are experencied, you only have to do ip route get....
But to become experienced you need to know what is going on.
> > Thinking about it: it only contains a default route, which means, it
> > only knows that it should route to that default gateway.
> > The default is I guess some sort of end point in a routing table.
> Any route is an endpoint. Once a route has been found, the routing algorithm
> will quit searching, and just route out that route. This has interesting
Unless the gateway is considered dead, and an alternate route exists...
> consequences, as the first thing searched is always the cache... and you can
> even manipulate *that* by hand. >:)
Interesting side effects as in, "hey, it suddenly does not work
anymore!". :)

--
<ard@telegraafnet.nl> Telegraaf Elektronische Media  http://wwwijzer.nl
http://leerquoten.monster.org/ http://www.faqs.org/rfcs/rfc1855.html
Let your government know you value your freedom. Sign the petition:
http://petition.eurolinux.org/

* [LARTC] newbie question
                   ` (3 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2002-12-16 15:58 ` Del Riesgo, Christopher D
                   ` (7 subsequent siblings)
From: Del Riesgo, Christopher D @ 2002-12-16 15:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: lartc

Can someone kick me in the right direction on this one?
I searched the archive and saw nothing.  Google didn't help either.

Using tc, I get good results and flow control on a small network.  I have an
old device that sends a 8808 pause frame back to the main linux router to
have it throttle back.  But then instead of slowing down and allocating
bandwidth by the rules set up, it slows down the bandwidth and gives equal
time to all types of packets.  Is there a reason it dumps tc control and
goes to interleaving flow control?

TIA

* [LARTC] newbie question
                   ` (4 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2003-10-09 11:45 ` Muhammad Reza
                   ` (6 subsequent siblings)
From: Muhammad Reza @ 2003-10-09 11:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: lartc

hi all

in this schema in what device i should implement shapping (htb)

ISP-----eth0 -eth1----LAN

eth0 or eth1

cheers
.:NewBie:.

* Re: [LARTC] newbie question
                   ` (5 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2003-10-09 11:46 ` jeremie le-hen
                   ` (5 subsequent siblings)
From: jeremie le-hen @ 2003-10-09 11:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: lartc

> in this schema in what device i should implement shapping (htb)
>
> ISP-----eth0 -eth1----LAN

If you implement your shaping/scheduling on eth1, then your LAN will
be affected, but not the Linux box itself. If you want your gateway
to be affected too, then put it on eth0. Furthermore, if one day you
choose to add another LAN on eth2, shapping will also work for the
latter without any additional configuration.

Jeremie LE HEN aka TtZ/TataZ                          jeremie.le-hen@epita.fr
                                                                 ttz@epita.fr

* Re: [LARTC] newbie question
                   ` (6 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2003-10-09 12:15 ` Muhammad Reza
                   ` (4 subsequent siblings)
From: Muhammad Reza @ 2003-10-09 12:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: lartc

thanks

eth1 i guess..can I do shapping/scheduling on my LAN based on subnet ?.

|--subnet 10kbit
ISP---eth0-eth1---LAN---subnet 20kbit
|--subnet 15kbit

can htb or any tc do that for me..and how can i know my actual ceiling
b/w traffic at eth1, so i can set it ass parent ? i have a 10/100 ethernet.

cheers
.:NewBie:.

jeremie le-hen wrote:

>>in this schema in what device i should implement shapping (htb)
>>
>>ISP-----eth0 -eth1----LAN
>>

>If you implement your shaping/scheduling on eth1, then your LAN will
>be affected, but not the Linux box itself. If you want your gateway
>to be affected too, then put it on eth0. Furthermore, if one day you
>choose to add another LAN on eth2, shapping will also work for the
>latter without any additional configuration.
>
>Regards,

* [LARTC] newbie question
                   ` (7 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2003-10-13 11:38 ` Muhammad Reza
                   ` (3 subsequent siblings)
From: Muhammad Reza @ 2003-10-13 11:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: lartc

hi All.
this my script for shapping with htb, to shapping my network subnet

ISP--eth--eth1---lan with 4 subnet

 cat /etc/shorewall/tcstart
#!/bin/bash
/sbin/tc qdisc add dev eth1 root handle 1: htb default 20
/sbin/tc class add dev eth1 parent 1: classid 1:1 htb rate 2mbit ceil 2mbit
/sbin/tc class add dev eth1 parent 1:1 classid 1:10 htb rate 512kbps
ceil 2mbit
/sbin/tc class add dev eth1 parent 1:1 classid 1:11 htb rate 512kbps
ceil 2mbit
/sbin/tc class add dev eth1 parent 1:1 classid 1:12 htb rate 512kbps
ceil 2mbit
/sbin/tc class add dev eth1 parent 1:1 classid 1:13 htb rate 512kbps
ceil 2mbit
/sbin/tc filter add dev eth1 protocol ip parent 1: prio 1 u32 match ip
dst 172.16.0.0/24 flowid 1:10
/sbin/tc filter add dev eth1 protocol ip parent 1: prio 1 u32 match ip
dst 172.16.32.0/24 flowid 1:11
/sbin/tc filter add dev eth1 protocol ip parent 1: prio 1 u32 match ip
dst 172.16.64.0/24 flowid 1:12
/sbin/tc filter add dev eth1 protocol ip parent 1: prio 1 u32 match ip
dst 172.16.128.0/24 flowid 1:13

 /sbin/tc qdisc sh
qdisc htb 1: dev eth1 r2q 10 default 20 direct_packets_stat 0

when i test with iperf  from 172.16.0.227 /usr/local/bin/iperf -c
172.16.0.226
Client connecting to 172.16.0.226, TCP port 5001
TCP window size: 32.5 KByte (default)
[  5] local 172.16.0.228 port 49192 connected with 172.16.0.226 port 5001
[ ID] Interval       Transfer     Bandwidth
[  5]  0.0-10.0 sec   111 MBytes  92.8 Mbits/sec

i dont see bandwith limited that i excpected...
did my step correct..or i did something stupid..(again)

cheers
.:NeWBie:.

* Re: [LARTC] newbie question
                   ` (8 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2003-10-13 18:46 ` Stef Coene
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Stef Coene @ 2003-10-13 18:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: lartc

On Monday 13 October 2003 13:38, Muhammad Reza wrote:
> hi All.
> this my script for shapping with htb, to shapping my network subnet
>
> ISP--eth--eth1---lan with 4 subnet
>
>  cat /etc/shorewall/tcstart
> #!/bin/bash
> /sbin/tc qdisc add dev eth1 root handle 1: htb default 20
> /sbin/tc class add dev eth1 parent 1: classid 1:1 htb rate 2mbit ceil 2mbit
> /sbin/tc class add dev eth1 parent 1:1 classid 1:10 htb rate 512kbps
> ceil 2mbit
> /sbin/tc class add dev eth1 parent 1:1 classid 1:11 htb rate 512kbps
> ceil 2mbit
> /sbin/tc class add dev eth1 parent 1:1 classid 1:12 htb rate 512kbps
> ceil 2mbit
> /sbin/tc class add dev eth1 parent 1:1 classid 1:13 htb rate 512kbps
> ceil 2mbit
> /sbin/tc filter add dev eth1 protocol ip parent 1: prio 1 u32 match ip
> dst 172.16.0.0/24 flowid 1:10
> /sbin/tc filter add dev eth1 protocol ip parent 1: prio 1 u32 match ip
> dst 172.16.32.0/24 flowid 1:11
> /sbin/tc filter add dev eth1 protocol ip parent 1: prio 1 u32 match ip
> dst 172.16.64.0/24 flowid 1:12
> /sbin/tc filter add dev eth1 protocol ip parent 1: prio 1 u32 match ip
> dst 172.16.128.0/24 flowid 1:13
>

>  /sbin/tc qdisc sh
> qdisc htb 1: dev eth1 r2q 10 default 20 direct_packets_stat 0
>
> when i test with iperf  from 172.16.0.227 /usr/local/bin/iperf -c
> 172.16.0.226
> Client connecting to 172.16.0.226, TCP port 5001
> TCP window size: 32.5 KByte (default)
> [  5] local 172.16.0.228 port 49192 connected with 172.16.0.226 port 5001
> [ ID] Interval       Transfer     Bandwidth
> [  5]  0.0-10.0 sec   111 MBytes  92.8 Mbits/sec
>
> i dont see bandwith limited that i excpected...
> did my step correct..or i did something stupid..(again)
You are mixing bytes and bites.  512kbps is 512kiobyte/s and 2mbit is
2megabit/s.  So 512kbps = 512 * 8 = 4mbit/s.  It's still not 92.8 Mbit/sec.

Can you also post the output of
tc -s -d class show dev eth0

For more info about htb and the tests I did, see www.docum.org.

Stef

--
stef.coene@docum.org
 "Using Linux as bandwidth manager"

* [LARTC] Newbie question
                   ` (9 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2004-03-02 14:22 ` Aravind babu
From: Aravind babu @ 2004-03-02 14:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: lartc

Hi all,

   I am new to this mailing list.My doubt is  Is it possible to mark QOS bits in IP header using tc? I marked using iptables.

Thanks in advance,
Aravind.

* Re: [LARTC] Newbie question
                   ` (10 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2004-03-03  5:45 ` Martin A. Brown
From: Martin A. Brown @ 2004-03-03  5:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: lartc

Aravind,

 : I am new to this mailing list. My doubt is Is it possible to mark QOS
 : bits in IP header using tc?  I marked using iptables.

I saw your post on linux-diffserv as well.  I wonder if you have yet found
Leonardo Balliache's pages on using DiffServ with Linux. [0]  With all
good luck, this will be the jumpstart you need.

If not, try Werner Almesberger's slightly denser papers. [1]

-Martin

 [0] http://opalsoft.net/qos/DS.htm
 [1] http://www.almesberger.net/cv/papers.html

--
Martin A. Brown --- SecurePipe, Inc. --- mabrown@securepipe.com

* [LARTC] Newbie question
                   ` (11 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2004-09-28  7:35 ` Mark S. Nesterovich
From: Mark S. Nesterovich @ 2004-09-28  7:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: lartc

Hi guys!

I am newbie in QoS. Trying to solve 1 problem.
Which queueing should i use(sfq, pfifo, red, ...), to allow my client to
get maximum in single session?

--
mark@mark.org.ua
NMS-UANIC