* extend environment with file
@ 2021-12-21 12:56 Frank Wunderlich
From: Frank Wunderlich @ 2021-12-21 12:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

currently i use distroboot on my board which sets some environment-variables, some other (memory addresses) were set in my soc-specific header file (include/configs/rk3568_common.h).

But distroboot is a bit too limited for my needs (no tftp, no script, ...), so imho i need to use the bootmenu way here, but for local kernel-bootup run distro_bootcmd.

I want to add some more variables (e.g. for bootmenu) and for easier maintaining i used a txt-file for it and defined

CONFIG_DEFAULT_ENV_FILE="uEnv_r2pro.txt"

but this option seems to clear the previous environment from distroboot and soc header file...i have now only the vars from the file defined.

i tried adding CONFIG_ENV_APPEND=y but i have still only the vars from the file.

Is there a way to append (distrocmd + soc-header + uenv-file) instead of overwriting?

regards Frank

* Aw: extend environment with file
@ 2021-12-21 18:01 ` Frank Wunderlich
From: Frank Wunderlich @ 2021-12-21 18:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

as far as i have debugged it:

soc-config is in CONFIG_EXTRA_ENV_SETTINGS
distroboot (include/config_distro_bootcmd.h) lands in BOOTENV

magic is in include/env_default.h where at least CONFIG_EXTRA_ENV_SETTINGS is only mapped
if CONFIG_USE_DEFAULT_ENV_FILE is not set, if set a generated headerfile generated/defaultenv_autogenerated.h
is included which contains some magic numbers (i guess hex-values of the chars from the file). this seems to
be generated in main Makefile, but i'm not sure how exactly (anyhow with tools/env/).

any idea to concatenate both sources?

regards Frank