* gnupg strip down
@ 2017-04-25 12:57 star
From: star @ 2017-04-25 12:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: poky

Would like to include gnupg into my filesystem. If I add gnupg to my image, it become to big (12.5MB instead of 5MB with core-image-minimal).
It installs a lot of things I don't need: dozen libs, binaries and even helpfiles in all languages ?!?

In fact I need just gnupg-binary and around 5 libs for my need. Can you help me howto strip down the recipe or what has to be set in a bbappend file to achive that? My first experiments with adding things to ETXRA_OECONF like

EXTRA_OECONF = "....
   --disable-card-support \
   --disable-gnupg-iconv  \
   --disable-idea           \
   --disable-cast5          \
   --disable-exec           \
   --disable-photo-viewers  \
   --disable-keyserver-helpers   \

failed. Thank you.

* Re: gnupg strip down
@ 2017-04-25 13:10 ` Alexander Kanavin
From: Alexander Kanavin @ 2017-04-25 13:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: poky

On 04/25/2017 03:57 PM, star@gmx.li wrote:
> Would like to include gnupg into my filesystem. If I add gnupg to my image, it become to big (12.5MB instead of 5MB with core-image-minimal).
> It installs a lot of things I don't need: dozen libs, binaries and even helpfiles in all languages ?!?
>
> In fact I need just gnupg-binary and around 5 libs for my need. Can you help me howto strip down the recipe or what has to be set in a bbappend file to achive that? My first experiments with adding things to ETXRA_OECONF like
>
> EXTRA_OECONF = "....
>    --disable-card-support \
>    --disable-gnupg-iconv  \
>    --disable-idea           \
>    --disable-cast5          \
>    --disable-exec           \
>    --disable-photo-viewers  \
>    --disable-keyserver-helpers   \
>
> failed. Thank you.

This is your opportunity to contribute to oe-core :) Write a patch that
splits up gnupg recipe into several sub-packages, and send it to the
oe-core mailing list.

Alex

* Re: gnupg strip down
@ 2017-04-26  5:42   ` Arno Steffens
> > Would like to include gnupg into my filesystem. If I add gnupg to my image, it become to big (12.5MB instead of 5MB with core-image-minimal).
> > It installs a lot of things I don't need: dozen libs, binaries and even helpfiles in all languages ?!?
> >
> > In fact I need just gnupg-binary and around 5 libs for my need. Can you help me howto strip down the recipe or what has to be set in a bbappend file to achive that? My first experiments with adding things to ETXRA_OECONF like
> >
> > EXTRA_OECONF = "....
> >    --disable-card-support \
> >    --disable-gnupg-iconv  \
> >    --disable-idea           \
> >    --disable-cast5          \
> >    --disable-exec           \
> >    --disable-photo-viewers  \
> >    --disable-keyserver-helpers   \
> >
> > failed. Thank you.
> >

> This is your opportunity to contribute to oe-core :) Write a patch that
> splits up gnupg recipe into several sub-packages, and send it to the
> oe-core mailing list.
>
> Alex

Dear Alex,
split it into packets is a good idea, but far above my knowledge. I am happy if I can do slightest modifications to things that are less complex.
Sure, I checked documentation for hints about configuration. There is nothing - better said nothing I can handle. My attempt to add more --disable-*** has been just uneducated guesses and didn't work. That's why I am asking for help here.
At minimum I thing it is against the rules just to install all language stuff per default.

Best regards
Arno

* Re: gnupg strip down
@ 2017-04-26 10:54     ` Alexander Kanavin
From: Alexander Kanavin @ 2017-04-26 10:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Arno Steffens; +Cc: poky

On 04/26/2017 08:42 AM, Arno Steffens wrote:

> split it into packets is a good idea, but far above my knowledge. I
> am happy if I can do slightest modifications to things that are less
> complex. Sure, I checked documentation for hints about configuration.
> There is nothing - better said nothing I can handle. My attempt to
> add more --disable-*** has been just uneducated guesses and didn't
> work. That's why I am asking for help here. At minimum I thing it is
> against the rules just to install all language stuff per default.

Don't try to change configuration flags. You already have a pretty clear
idea of how the output files could be split in the recipe into separate
packages. It is not hard: you first define the list of packages using

PACKAGES += "pkg1 pkg2"

and then tell which files go where with

FILES_pkg1 = "file1 file2"
FILES_pkg2 = "file3 file4"

There is a lot of examples in oe-core; it's totally standard procedure.

Alex

* Re: gnupg strip down
@ 2017-04-26 12:52       ` Arno Steffens
> On 04/26/2017 08:42 AM, Arno Steffens wrote:
>
> > split it into packets is a good idea, but far above my knowledge. I
> > am happy if I can do slightest modifications to things that are less
> > complex. Sure, I checked documentation for hints about configuration.
> > There is nothing - better said nothing I can handle. My attempt to
> > add more --disable-*** has been just uneducated guesses and didn't
> > work. That's why I am asking for help here. At minimum I thing it is
> > against the rules just to install all language stuff per default.
>
> Don't try to change configuration flags. You already have a pretty clear
> idea of how the output files could be split in the recipe into separate
> packages. It is not hard: you first define the list of packages using

You know more than me ;)
I just checked the list of already existing packages.
I found 27 locale, one doc, one debug, one dev, one just gnugp.

Even in the latter one, there are a lot of help files and binaries, and not a single lib.
Looking at the bb file doesn't give me a clue how to go on. Seems I am a greenhorn.

> PACKAGES += "pkg1 pkg2"
>
> and then tell which files go where with
>
> FILES_pkg1 = "file1 file2"
> FILES_pkg2 = "file3 file4"
>
> There is a lot of examples in oe-core; it's totally standard procedure.

Did I understand you right? Instead of adding "gnupg" to my core-image I shall add my own recipe, wich install just the "gnupg_2.1.14-r0_cortexa9hf-neon.ipk" ?
How this looks like?
But this misses libs and has still to much help (again all languages). This seems not to follow the rules, as this doesn't happened to me with other packages ...

Arno

* Re: gnupg strip down
@ 2017-04-26 13:18         ` Alexander Kanavin
From: Alexander Kanavin @ 2017-04-26 13:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Arno Steffens; +Cc: poky

On 04/26/2017 03:52 PM, Arno Steffens wrote:
> You know more than me ;)
> I just checked the list of already existing packages.
> I found 27 locale, one doc, one debug, one dev, one just gnugp.
>
> Even in the latter one, there are a lot of help files and binaries, and not a single lib.
> Looking at the bb file doesn't give me a clue how to go on. Seems I am a greenhorn.

I just looked. There is a bunch of binaries (in /usr/bin and sbin), a
few helper binaries (in /usr/libexec) and the help files in
/usr/share/gnupg. I don't think you can further split up the binaries
(unless you *really* know what you are doing), and the help files aren't
taking much space at all, about 320 kilobytes.

If you insist, add a .bbappend file to your custom layer, where the
unnecessary binaries are removed in do_install_append() (again, plenty
of recipes in oe-core where this happens).

Alex

* Re: gnupg strip down
@ 2017-04-28  7:31           ` Arno Steffens
> On 04/26/2017 03:52 PM, Arno Steffens wrote:
> > You know more than me ;)
> > I just checked the list of already existing packages.
> > I found 27 locale, one doc, one debug, one dev, one just gnugp.
> >
> > Even in the latter one, there are a lot of help files and binaries, and not a single lib.
> > Looking at the bb file doesn't give me a clue how to go on. Seems I am a greenhorn.
>
> I just looked. There is a bunch of binaries (in /usr/bin and sbin), a
> few helper binaries (in /usr/libexec) and the help files in
> /usr/share/gnupg. I don't think you can further split up the binaries
> (unless you *really* know what you are doing), and the help files aren't
> taking much space at all, about 320 kilobytes.
>
> If you insist, add a .bbappend file to your custom layer, where the
> unnecessary binaries are removed in do_install_append() (again, plenty
> of recipes in oe-core where this happens).
>

> Alex

Hi Alex,

I did as advised, created a bbappend for gnupg, like that:

do_install_append() {
	rm ${D}${bindir}/gpgv
	rm ${D}${bindir}/gpgsm
	rm ${D}${bindir}/gpg-connect-agent
	rm ${D}${bindir}/dirmngr-client
	rm ${D}${bindir}/gpgscm
	rm ${D}${bindir}/watchgnupg
	rm ${D}${bindir}/gpgparsemail
	rm ${D}${bindir}/gpgconf
	rm ${D}${bindir}/dirmngr
	rm ${D}${bindir}/gpgtar
	rm ${D}${bindir}/gpgv2
	rm ${D}${bindir}/gpg-agent
	rm ${D}${bindir}/kbxutil
	rm ${D}/usr/sbin/*
	rmdir ${D}/usr/sbin
	rm ${D}/usr/share/gnupg/help*
	rm ${D}/usr/libexec/gpg-*
	rm ${D}/usr/libexec/scdaemon
	rmdir ${D}/usr/libexec
}

First I get errors, cleaning files and leave directory, but than I get it, that I have to remove empty folders too. Ok, that could be done smarter. So just gpg and few small files left.

But I don't have an idea howto remove the libs, that seems to be required only by the removed binaries,
like libgnutils.so, libgmp.so - which are rather big ...  They are not in the gnupg.ipk, but somewhere else.
As far as I found out gpg itself need just 5 libs (libassuan, libbz2, libgcrypt, libgpg-error, libreadline).

I am aware that this is a custom embedded solution, where just the ability to verify signed files is needed.

Howto solve that?

* Re: gnupg strip down
@ 2017-04-28  8:35             ` Jussi Kukkonen
From: Jussi Kukkonen @ 2017-04-28  8:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Arno Steffens, Wold, Saul; +Cc: poky

On 28 April 2017 at 10:31, Arno Steffens <star@gmx.li> wrote:

> I did as advised, created a bbappend for gnupg, like that:
>
> do_install_append() {
>         rm ${D}${bindir}/gpgv
>         rm ${D}${bindir}/gpgsm
>         rm ${D}${bindir}/gpg-connect-agent
>         rm ${D}${bindir}/dirmngr-client
>         rm ${D}${bindir}/gpgscm
>         rm ${D}${bindir}/watchgnupg
>         rm ${D}${bindir}/gpgparsemail
>         rm ${D}${bindir}/gpgconf
>         rm ${D}${bindir}/dirmngr
>         rm ${D}${bindir}/gpgtar
>         rm ${D}${bindir}/gpgv2
>         rm ${D}${bindir}/gpg-agent
>         rm ${D}${bindir}/kbxutil
>         rm ${D}/usr/sbin/*
>         rmdir ${D}/usr/sbin
>         rm ${D}/usr/share/gnupg/help*
>         rm ${D}/usr/libexec/gpg-*
>         rm ${D}/usr/libexec/scdaemon
>         rmdir ${D}/usr/libexec
> }
>
> First I get errors, cleaning files and leave directory, but than I get it,
> that I have to remove empty folders too. Ok, that could be done smarter. So
> just gpg and few small files left.
>
> But I don't have an idea howto remove the libs, that seems to be required
> only by the removed binaries,
> like libgnutils.so, libgmp.so - which are rather big ...

I don't see evidence that the binaries you mentioned would depend on those
libraries (at least with current sysroot behaviour -- it might happen by
mistake on older releases). But there is this line in the recipe:
RDEPENDS_${PN} = "gnutls"

Saul, do you happen to remember why that was added (more than two years ago
in poky 31059be9).

 - Jussi

* Re: gnupg strip down
@ 2017-04-28 10:06             ` Anders Darander
From: Anders Darander @ 2017-04-28 10:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: poky

Hi,

* Arno Steffens <star@gmx.li> [170428 09:35]:

> I did as advised, created a bbappend for gnupg, like that:

> do_install_append() {
>	rm ${D}${bindir}/gpgv
>	rm ${D}${bindir}/gpgsm
>	rm ${D}${bindir}/gpg-connect-agent
>	rm ${D}${bindir}/dirmngr-client
>	rm ${D}${bindir}/gpgscm
>	rm ${D}${bindir}/watchgnupg
>	rm ${D}${bindir}/gpgparsemail
>	rm ${D}${bindir}/gpgconf
>	rm ${D}${bindir}/dirmngr
>	rm ${D}${bindir}/gpgtar
>	rm ${D}${bindir}/gpgv2
>	rm ${D}${bindir}/gpg-agent
>	rm ${D}${bindir}/kbxutil
>	rm ${D}/usr/sbin/*
>	rmdir ${D}/usr/sbin
>	rm ${D}/usr/share/gnupg/help*
>	rm ${D}/usr/libexec/gpg-*
>	rm ${D}/usr/libexec/scdaemon
>	rmdir ${D}/usr/libexec
> }

> I am aware that this is a custom embedded solution, where just the ability to verify signed files is needed.

Have you looked at gpgv? It's already packages separately and supports
verification of signed files. It might very well fulfill all your
requirements.

Cheers,
Anders

--
Anders Darander, Senior System Architect
ChargeStorm AB / eStorm AB

* Re: gnupg strip down
@ 2017-04-28 12:30               ` Wold, Saul
From: Wold, Saul @ 2017-04-28 12:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: star, Kukkonen, Jussi; +Cc: poky

On Fri, 2017-04-28 at 11:35 +0300, Jussi Kukkonen wrote:
> On 28 April 2017 at 10:31, Arno Steffens <star@gmx.li> wrote:
> > I did as advised, created a bbappend for gnupg, like that:
> >
> > do_install_append() {
> >         rm ${D}${bindir}/gpgv
> >         rm ${D}${bindir}/gpgsm
> >         rm ${D}${bindir}/gpg-connect-agent
> >         rm ${D}${bindir}/dirmngr-client
> >         rm ${D}${bindir}/gpgscm
> >         rm ${D}${bindir}/watchgnupg
> >         rm ${D}${bindir}/gpgparsemail
> >         rm ${D}${bindir}/gpgconf
> >         rm ${D}${bindir}/dirmngr
> >         rm ${D}${bindir}/gpgtar
> >         rm ${D}${bindir}/gpgv2
> >         rm ${D}${bindir}/gpg-agent
> >         rm ${D}${bindir}/kbxutil
> >         rm ${D}/usr/sbin/*
> >         rmdir ${D}/usr/sbin
> >         rm ${D}/usr/share/gnupg/help*
> >         rm ${D}/usr/libexec/gpg-*
> >         rm ${D}/usr/libexec/scdaemon
> >         rmdir ${D}/usr/libexec
> > }
> >
> > First I get errors, cleaning files and leave directory, but than I
> > get it, that I have to remove empty folders too. Ok, that could be
> > done smarter. So just gpg and few small files left.
> >
> > But I don't have an idea howto remove the libs, that seems to be
> > required only by the removed binaries,
> > like libgnutils.so, libgmp.so - which are rather big ...
>
> I don't see evidence that the binaries you mentioned would depend on
> those libraries (at least with current sysroot behaviour -- it might
> happen by mistake on older releases). But there is this line in the
> recipe:
> RDEPENDS_${PN} = "gnutls"
>
> Saul, do you happen to remember why that was added (more than two
> years ago in poky 31059be9).

Sorry no, too long ago, but looking at the patch it seems that the
dirmngr_LDADD had LIBGNUTLS before and after the change so possibly
that showed it should have been available.

If something has changed with dirmngr than maybe that can be removed.

>  - Jussi

* Re: gnupg strip down
@ 2017-05-02  9:59               ` Arno Steffens
> > I did as advised, created a bbappend for gnupg, like that:
>
> > do_install_append() {
> >	rm ${D}${bindir}/gpgv
> >	rm ${D}${bindir}/gpgsm
> >	rm ${D}${bindir}/gpg-connect-agent
> >	rm ${D}${bindir}/dirmngr-client
> >	rm ${D}${bindir}/gpgscm
> >	rm ${D}${bindir}/watchgnupg
> >	rm ${D}${bindir}/gpgparsemail
> >	rm ${D}${bindir}/gpgconf
> >	rm ${D}${bindir}/dirmngr
> >	rm ${D}${bindir}/gpgtar
> >	rm ${D}${bindir}/gpgv2
> >	rm ${D}${bindir}/gpg-agent
> >	rm ${D}${bindir}/kbxutil
> >	rm ${D}/usr/sbin/*
> >	rmdir ${D}/usr/sbin
> >	rm ${D}/usr/share/gnupg/help*
> >	rm ${D}/usr/libexec/gpg-*
> >	rm ${D}/usr/libexec/scdaemon
> >	rmdir ${D}/usr/libexec
> > }
>
> > I am aware that this is a custom embedded solution, where just the ability to verify signed files is needed.
>
> Have you looked at gpgv? It's already packages separately and supports
> verification of signed files. It might very well fulfill all your
> requirements.
>
> Cheers,
> Anders
>
> --
> Anders Darander, Senior System Architect
> ChargeStorm AB / eStorm AB
> --

Sure, even that might be enough. But as far as I can see this is not separated.
As for example bitbake gpgv returns:
 gnupg RPROVIDES gpgv

Is a recipe for just this available in some other layer? I searched, but did not found.
Thanks
Arno

* Re: gnupg strip down
@ 2017-05-02 10:06                 ` Arno Steffens
> On Fri, 2017-04-28 at 11:35 +0300, Jussi Kukkonen wrote:
> > On 28 April 2017 at 10:31, Arno Steffens <star@gmx.li> wrote:
> > > I did as advised, created a bbappend for gnupg, like that:
> > >
> > > do_install_append() {
> > >         rm ${D}${bindir}/gpgv
> > >         rm ${D}${bindir}/gpgsm
> > >         rm ${D}${bindir}/gpg-connect-agent
> > >         rm ${D}${bindir}/dirmngr-client
> > >         rm ${D}${bindir}/gpgscm
> > >         rm ${D}${bindir}/watchgnupg
> > >         rm ${D}${bindir}/gpgparsemail
> > >         rm ${D}${bindir}/gpgconf
> > >         rm ${D}${bindir}/dirmngr
> > >         rm ${D}${bindir}/gpgtar
> > >         rm ${D}${bindir}/gpgv2
> > >         rm ${D}${bindir}/gpg-agent
> > >         rm ${D}${bindir}/kbxutil
> > >         rm ${D}/usr/sbin/*
> > >         rmdir ${D}/usr/sbin
> > >         rm ${D}/usr/share/gnupg/help*
> > >         rm ${D}/usr/libexec/gpg-*
> > >         rm ${D}/usr/libexec/scdaemon
> > >         rmdir ${D}/usr/libexec
> > > }
> > >
> > > First I get errors, cleaning files and leave directory, but than I
> > > get it, that I have to remove empty folders too. Ok, that could be
> > > done smarter. So just gpg and few small files left.
> > >
> > > But I don't have an idea howto remove the libs, that seems to be
> > > required only by the removed binaries,
> > > like libgnutils.so, libgmp.so - which are rather big ...
> >
> > I don't see evidence that the binaries you mentioned would depend on
> > those libraries (at least with current sysroot behaviour -- it might
> > happen by mistake on older releases). But there is this line in the
> > recipe:
> > RDEPENDS_${PN} = "gnutls"
> >
> > Saul, do you happen to remember why that was added (more than two
> > years ago in poky 31059be9).
> >
> Sorry no, too long ago, but looking at the patch it seems that the
> dirmngr_LDADD had LIBGNUTLS before and after the change so possibly
> that showed it should have been available.
>
> If something has changed with dirmngr than maybe that can be removed.
>

> >  - Jussi

How would you avoid installation of this gnutls in this case? So what do I have to add in my bbappend (see above)? To my shame: my skill are rather limited in handling this.

* Re: gnupg strip down
@ 2017-05-02 10:38                   ` Jussi Kukkonen
From: Jussi Kukkonen @ 2017-05-02 10:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Arno Steffens; +Cc: poky

On 2 May 2017 at 13:06, Arno Steffens <star@gmx.li> wrote:

> > Gesendet: Freitag, 28. April 2017 um 14:30 Uhr
> > Von: "Wold, Saul" <saul.wold@intel.com>
> > An: "star@gmx.li" <star@gmx.li>, "Kukkonen, Jussi" <
> jussi.kukkonen@intel.com>
> > Cc: "poky@yoctoproject.org" <poky@yoctoproject.org>, "
> alexander.kanavin@linux.intel.com" <alexander.kanavin@linux.intel.com>
> > Betreff: Re: [poky] gnupg strip down

> > > I don't see evidence that the binaries you mentioned would depend on
> > > those libraries (at least with current sysroot behaviour -- it might
> > > happen by mistake on older releases). But there is this line in the
> > > recipe:
> > > RDEPENDS_${PN} = "gnutls"
> > >
> > > Saul, do you happen to remember why that was added (more than two
> > > years ago in poky 31059be9).
> > >
> > Sorry no, too long ago, but looking at the patch it seems that the
> > dirmngr_LDADD had LIBGNUTLS before and after the change so possibly
> > that showed it should have been available.
> >
> > If something has changed with dirmngr than maybe that can be removed.
>
> How would you avoid installation of this gnutls in this case? So what do I
> have to add in my bbappend (see above)? To my shame: my skill are rather
> limited in handling this.

The runtime dependency on gnutls can be removed in the original recipe file
by just removing the RDEPENDS_{PN} line. If you want to do it in a bbappend
then this should work:
   RDEPENDS_${PN}_remove = "gnutls"
That should lead to gnutls not being automatically added to the image when
gnupg is added.

I think this change won't break anything but there's only one way to find
out...

Jussi

* Re: gnupg strip down
@ 2017-05-02 12:14                     ` Arno Steffens
From: Arno Steffens @ 2017-05-02 12:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jussi Kukkonen; +Cc: poky

* Re: gnupg strip down
@ 2017-05-02 13:30                 ` Anders Darander
> > > I am aware that this is a custom embedded solution, where just the
> > > ability to verify signed files is needed.

> > Have you looked at gpgv? It's already packages separately and
> > supports verification of signed files. It might very well fulfill
> > all your requirements.

> Sure, even that might be enough. But as far as I can see this is not
> separated.
> As for example bitbake gpgv returns:
> gnupg RPROVIDES gpgv

>  Is a recipe for just this available in some other layer? I searched,
>  but did not found.

Sure, the gnupg itself. Or rather, the gnupg_1.4.7 does this. It doesn't
seem like the gnupg_2.x series recipe does that any longer...

So if gpgv2 does work standalone, it might be a good first step to split
that one out again.

Cheers,
Anders