* Can I change Git binary file's name when deploying Git-based product?
@ 2016-01-19  8:07 은교
From: 은교 @ 2016-01-19  8:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: git

Hi, my name is Jae Kwon Han.
I am developing Version Control program for designers called 'Indegs'.
Indegs is using Git binary file in my product to version control design files.

Problem is that whenever git command is executed, 'The Git command
requires the command line developer tools. Would you like to install
the tools now?' message comes out.

I found out that when i change Git binary file's name that my product
is executing, problem is solved. Since then i tried to read every
licenses regarding Git but can't find a clear answer.

Can i change Git binary file's name to for example 'Git-indegs',
'Indegs' when deploying my product?

* Re: Can I change Git binary file's name when deploying Git-based product?
@ 2016-01-19 18:57 ` Junio C Hamano
From: Junio C Hamano @ 2016-01-19 18:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 은교; +Cc: git

은교 <eunqyo@gmail.com> writes:

> Problem is that whenever git command is executed, 'The Git command
> requires the command line developer tools. Would you like to install
> the tools now?' message comes out.

As far as I know, that is not a message Git produces, but likely to
come from some magic wrapper (or "missing command handler") the
distro gives its users.

> I found out that when i change Git binary file's name that my product
> is executing, problem is solved. Since then i tried to read every
> licenses regarding Git but can't find a clear answer.
>
> Can i change Git binary file's name to for example 'Git-indegs',
> 'Indegs' when deploying my product?

The Git source code is licensed under GPLv2, and IIUC, there is
nothing that forbids you from naming the resulting binary other than
"git".

It is completely a separate issue if merely renaming the binary from
"git" to another name is sufficient to keep things working.  Many
subcommands of Git are built into a single binary and I suspect that
they would work regardless of what the name of that single binary
is, but others invoke other Git subcommands while they are running,
and when the do so they expect to find the other subcommand they are
invoking are "git foo", not "hju foo", even if they were invoked as
"hju".  That too is something you can modify under the licensing
terms of GPLv2, i.e. if you make such a modification and ship the
binaries based on that modified source, you must make the
modification available to the recipients of the binaries in the
source form under the same GPLv2 license.