* Software RAID5 with 2.6.0-test
@ 2003-10-08 22:43 Måns Rullgård
From: Måns Rullgård @ 2003-10-08 22:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

Is software RAID5 stable in Linux 2.6.0-test7?  A while back I tried
running a software RAID5 with a 2.6.0-test kernel, and had to spend
the evening running fsck.  The corruption could have been caused by
something other than the RAID layer.  So, is it considered safe to use
RAID5 in 2.6.0 kernels?  I sort of dislike the try and see approach
with matters like this.

--
Måns Rullgård
mru@users.sf.net

* Re: Software RAID5 with 2.6.0-test
@ 2003-10-08 23:24 ` Torrey Hoffman
From: Torrey Hoffman @ 2003-10-08 23:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Måns Rullgård; +Cc: Linux Kernel

My experience:

I'm running 2.6.0-test6 on a dual pentium 3 with software raid-5 across
5 disks on two different IDE hardware controllers (VIA and Promise).
I've got a 224 GB reiserfs partition on that.

After 8 days uptime, it doesn't seem to have blown up yet.  However I
don't stress it heavily - just a nightly rsync or two which does a lot
of reading and writing, and I export my music collection on it via NFS,
which is a low level of read activity.

I mirror the RAID to an external firewire drive nightly for backup,
since I don't trust it 100% either, yet.

I'd also be interested to know if there are known problems with software
RAID5 in 2.6.

Hope that helps,

Torrey Hoffman
thoffman@arnor.net

--

@ 2003-10-08 23:44   ` Måns Rullgård
From: Måns Rullgård @ 2003-10-08 23:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

Torrey Hoffman <thoffman@arnor.net> writes:

> My experience:
>
> I'm running 2.6.0-test6 on a dual pentium 3 with software raid-5 across
> 5 disks on two different IDE hardware controllers (VIA and Promise).
> I've got a 224 GB reiserfs partition on that.
>
> After 8 days uptime, it doesn't seem to have blown up yet.  However I
> don't stress it heavily - just a nightly rsync or two which does a lot
> of reading and writing, and I export my music collection on it via NFS,
> which is a low level of read activity.

When I tried it, I was running 2.6.0-test4.  The RAID5 was 4 120 GB
Seagate disks on a Highpoint controller.  On top of that, I had LVM,
with ext3 fs.  After just minutes, strange things started happening to
files.  Some had random bits changed in the inode, others were just
trashed.  e2fsck complained a great deal.

I went back to 2.4.21, which is working OK.  A couple of things bother
me, though.  In the dmesg output there are many of these:

raid5: switching cache buffer size, 8192 --> 1024
raid5: switching cache buffer size, 1024 --> 4096
raid5: switching cache buffer size, 4096 --> 1024
raid5: switching cache buffer size, 1024 --> 4096
raid5: switching cache buffer size, 4096 --> 1024

ISTR reading somewhere, that this has a bad impact on performance.

The other thing that I don't like, is the performance of the RAID
array.  The disks individually give ~40 MB/s read speed, but the array
only measures 25 MB/s.  I was of the impression, that RAID5 would give
read speeds at least equal to the underlying disks.  Is this
incorrect?

--

@ 2003-10-09  0:51     ` Andre Tomt
From: Andre Tomt @ 2003-10-09  0:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel; +Cc: Måns Rullgård

On Thu, 2003-10-09 at 01:44, Måns Rullgård wrote:
> When I tried it, I was running 2.6.0-test4.  The RAID5 was 4 120 GB
> Seagate disks on a Highpoint controller.

<snip>

> The other thing that I don't like, is the performance of the RAID
> array.  The disks individually give ~40 MB/s read speed, but the array
> only measures 25 MB/s.  I was of the impression, that RAID5 would give
> read speeds at least equal to the underlying disks.  Is this
> incorrect?

Was this a 4 port or 2 port HPT controller? Keep in mind, two disks on
the same IDE channel severely degrades performance, *especially* with
RAID.

--
Mvh,
André Tomt

* Re: Software RAID5 with 2.6.0-test
@ 2003-10-09  8:55       ` Måns Rullgård
From: Måns Rullgård @ 2003-10-09  8:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andre Tomt; +Cc: linux-kernel

Andre Tomt <andre@tomt.net> writes:

>> When I tried it, I was running 2.6.0-test4.  The RAID5 was 4 120 GB
>> Seagate disks on a Highpoint controller.
>
> <snip>
>
>> The other thing that I don't like, is the performance of the RAID
>> array.  The disks individually give ~40 MB/s read speed, but the array
>> only measures 25 MB/s.  I was of the impression, that RAID5 would give
>> read speeds at least equal to the underlying disks.  Is this
>> incorrect?
>
> Was this a 4 port or 2 port HPT controller? Keep in mind, two disks on
> the same IDE channel severely degrades performance, *especially* with
> RAID.

It's a four port SATA controller.  I'd never even think about placing
two disks on the same cable.

--

@ 2003-10-09  9:10         ` Andre Tomt
From: Andre Tomt @ 2003-10-09  9:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Måns Rullgård; +Cc: linux-kernel

On Thu, 2003-10-09 at 10:55, Måns Rullgård wrote:
> > Was this a 4 port or 2 port HPT controller? Keep in mind, two disks on
> > the same IDE channel severely degrades performance, *especially* with
> > RAID.
>
> It's a four port SATA controller.  I'd never even think about placing
> two disks on the same cable.

You can't either, considering it is SATA :-)

However, I wouln't count on superior performance from software based
RAID 5 (ata/fakeraid or otherwise), that is whats real raid controllers
are for.

Out of couriosity, how well is it performing in lets say.. a RAID10 or
RAID1 setup?

--
Mvh,
André Tomt

* Re: Software RAID5 with 2.6.0-test
@ 2003-10-09  9:28           ` Måns Rullgård
From: Måns Rullgård @ 2003-10-09  9:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andre Tomt; +Cc: linux-kernel

Andre Tomt <andre@tomt.net> writes:

>> > Was this a 4 port or 2 port HPT controller? Keep in mind, two disks on
>> > the same IDE channel severely degrades performance, *especially* with
>> > RAID.
>>
>> It's a four port SATA controller.  I'd never even think about placing
>> two disks on the same cable.
>
> You can't either, considering it is SATA :-)
>
> However, I wouln't count on superior performance from software based
> RAID 5 (ata/fakeraid or otherwise), that is whats real raid controllers
> are for.

I've seen reports of people obtaining nearly 100 MB/s from software
RAID5.

> Out of couriosity, how well is it performing in lets say.. a RAID10 or
> RAID1 setup?

I didn't try.  I might, of course.

--

@ 2003-10-17 17:07           ` Bill Davidsen
From: Bill Davidsen @ 2003-10-17 17:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andre Tomt; +Cc: Måns Rullgård, linux-kernel

[-- Attachment #1: Type: TEXT/PLAIN; charset=US-ASCII, Size: 1356 bytes --]

On Thu, 9 Oct 2003, Andre Tomt wrote:

> On Thu, 2003-10-09 at 10:55, Måns Rullgård wrote:
> > > Was this a 4 port or 2 port HPT controller? Keep in mind, two disks on
> > > the same IDE channel severely degrades performance, *especially* with
> > > RAID.
> >
> > It's a four port SATA controller.  I'd never even think about placing
> > two disks on the same cable.
>
> You can't either, considering it is SATA :-)
>
> However, I wouln't count on superior performance from software based
> RAID 5 (ata/fakeraid or otherwise), that is whats real raid controllers
> are for.

While an overloaded system may benefit from offloaded the CPU
requirements of RAID, unless you go to a very expensive external unit
the kernel RAID will usually outperform the inexpensive RAID embedded on
a controller. The kernel simply knows more about the data needs and can
can do things a controller can't.

You can also use only part of a drive, by partition, in a RAID group,
leaving the rest to be used as dumb disk. Very cost effective, if only a
part of the data justified mirroring, you don't need to mirror whole
drives. Yes, that's a cost vs. speed tradeoff, but an effective one
where reliabiity is needed, but performance is not critical.

--
bill davidsen <davidsen@tmr.com>
  CTO, TMR Associates, Inc

* Re: Software RAID5 with 2.6.0-test
@ 2003-10-17 17:44             ` Måns Rullgård
                                 ` (2 more replies)
From: Måns Rullgård @ 2003-10-17 17:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

Bill Davidsen <davidsen@tmr.com> writes:

>> However, I wouln't count on superior performance from software based
>> RAID 5 (ata/fakeraid or otherwise), that is whats real raid controllers
>> are for.
>
> While an overloaded system may benefit from offloaded the CPU
> requirements of RAID, unless you go to a very expensive external unit
> the kernel RAID will usually outperform the inexpensive RAID embedded on
> a controller. The kernel simply knows more about the data needs and can
> can do things a controller can't.

What about the RAID controllers in the $400 category?  Surely, they
must be doing something better than the $50 fakeraid controllers.

--

@ 2003-10-17 18:39               ` Samuel Flory
From: Samuel Flory @ 2003-10-17 18:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Måns Rullgård; +Cc: linux-kernel

Måns Rullgård wrote:
> Bill Davidsen <davidsen@tmr.com> writes:
>

>>>However, I wouln't count on superior performance from software based
>>>RAID 5 (ata/fakeraid or otherwise), that is whats real raid controllers
>>>are for.
>>
>>While an overloaded system may benefit from offloaded the CPU
>>requirements of RAID, unless you go to a very expensive external unit
>>the kernel RAID will usually outperform the inexpensive RAID embedded on
>>a controller. The kernel simply knows more about the data needs and can
>>can do things a controller can't.
>

> What about the RAID controllers in the $400 category?  Surely, they
> must be doing something better than the $50 fakeraid controllers.

   Yes, but follow this logic.

1)You are willing to devote 10% of 2Ghz xeon to software raid.
2)A $500+ controller has a 100Mhz proccessor.

   Thus just from this you could guess that software raid has x2 as many
clock cycles availble to it.  It's even worse when you realize the 2Ghz
xeon is a better proccessor in many more ways than just clock cycles.

   The reasons to use that 500-1000 raid controller are due the features
the controller gives you.  Things like gracefull recovery from bad
sectors, and SAF-TE support.

--
Once you have their hardware. Never give it back.
(The First Rule of Hardware Acquisition)

* Re: Software RAID5 with 2.6.0-test
@ 2003-10-17 19:18                 ` Måns Rullgård
From: Måns Rullgård @ 2003-10-17 19:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

Samuel Flory <sflory@rackable.com> writes:

>> What about the RAID controllers in the $400 category?  Surely, they
>> must be doing something better than the $50 fakeraid controllers.
>>

>    Yes, but follow this logic.
>
> 1)You are willing to devote 10% of 2Ghz xeon to software raid.
> 2)A $500+ controller has a 100Mhz proccessor.
>
>    Thus just from this you could guess that software raid has x2 as
>    many clock cycles availble to it.  It's even worse when you realize
>    the 2Ghz xeon is a better proccessor in many more ways than just
>    clock cycles.

How about this logic:

1) If the processor on the RAID controller can handle the full
bandwidth of the disks, it's fast enough.
2) If someone else does the 10% work, the CPU can do 10% more work.

--

@ 2003-10-17 19:24               ` Jakob Oestergaard
From: Jakob Oestergaard @ 2003-10-17 19:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Måns Rullgård; +Cc: linux-kernel

On Fri, Oct 17, 2003 at 07:44:31PM +0200, Måns Rullgård wrote:

> What about the RAID controllers in the $400 category?  Surely, they
> must be doing something better than the $50 fakeraid controllers.

The RAID controllers in the $400 category are exactly the ones who
include (inferior) processors, and add an extra layer in the 'chain of
command'.

The inexpensive 'fakeraid' controllers include some form of SW RAID in
their driver, and could therefore perform as well as Linux SW RAID (if
the driver's RAID code is as clever and efficient as the Linux SW RAID
code - which it may not be).

Ironic, maybe  ;)

I have never tried using one of the 'fakeraid' controllers, so I can't
speak for their actual real-world performance.  They could include a
crap IDE controller, or they could have crap drivers - both could give
poor performance.

Could, would, should, don't know...

However, the "hardware RAID" controllers that were discussed here would
be the ones in the $400->$(obscene) price range.

Now that I'm posting anyway - I thought of a plus for the HW RAID
controllers (hey, they're way behind on the scoreboard so far, so I
might as well be a gentleman and give them a point or two):
*) Battery backed write cache

This will allow the controller to say 'ok I'm done with your sync()',
way before the data actually reaches the disk platters.  For some
workloads this can be a big win.  For some odd reason, it seems that
'most' (read: all that I could find) HW RAID controllers are unable to
control more than 256 MB of memory - which is odd. That amound of memory
is almost so low that it defeats the purpose of having it in the first
place.  But again, some workloads may well benefit.  And this is
something you just can't do with SW RAID (at least not before someone
implements support for an NVRAM buffer store in the Linux I/O layer).

While on that topic: SDRAM PCI cards with battery backup can be had
relatively cheap up to at least a few gigabytes.  It'd be pretty cool to
have the kernel recognize that for buffer storage. I could see the fun
in doing half a million random writes and a sync(), and having the
system tell me it's done the microsecond I issue the sync().

Enough with the daydreaming already  ;)

:   jakob@unthought.net   : And I see the elder races,         :
:.........................: putrid forms of man                :
:   Jakob Østergaard      : See him rise and claim the earth,  :
:        OZ9ABN           : his downfall is at hand.           :
:.........................:............{Konkhra}...............:

* Re: Software RAID5 with 2.6.0-test
@ 2003-10-17 19:37                   ` Jakob Oestergaard
From: Jakob Oestergaard @ 2003-10-17 19:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Måns Rullgård; +Cc: linux-kernel

On Fri, Oct 17, 2003 at 09:18:24PM +0200, Måns Rullgård wrote:
> Samuel Flory <sflory@rackable.com> writes:
> >    many clock cycles availble to it.  It's even worse when you realize
> >    the 2Ghz xeon is a better proccessor in many more ways than just
> >    clock cycles.
>
> How about this logic:
>
> 1) If the processor on the RAID controller can handle the full
> bandwidth of the disks, it's fast enough.
> 2) If someone else does the 10% work, the CPU can do 10% more work.

3) You have a four year old machine - one day the RAID controller dies.
   The company that produced it has been acquired by someone else, and
   the product is no longer availble.  Can you get a new adapter with
   firmware that can actually read your disks?   Or are your data lost?
   Can you find a replacement controller on e-bay?  And would you want
   to?

Anyway, not wanting to spread more FUD than stricly necessary: It's a
matter of cost/benefit and risk management.   Everyone has their
personal preferences on this - and even if it wasn't so, let's not
begin to pretend that there is a simple answer to what's "best".

@ 2003-10-17 19:52                     ` Måns Rullgård
From: Måns Rullgård @ 2003-10-17 19:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

Jakob Oestergaard <jakob@unthought.net> writes:

>> >    many clock cycles availble to it.  It's even worse when you realize
>> >    the 2Ghz xeon is a better proccessor in many more ways than just
>> >    clock cycles.
>>
>> How about this logic:
>>
>> 1) If the processor on the RAID controller can handle the full
>> bandwidth of the disks, it's fast enough.
>> 2) If someone else does the 10% work, the CPU can do 10% more work.
>
> 3) You have a four year old machine - one day the RAID controller dies.
>    The company that produced it has been acquired by someone else, and
>    the product is no longer availble.  Can you get a new adapter with
>    firmware that can actually read your disks?   Or are your data lost?
>    Can you find a replacement controller on e-bay?  And would you want
>    to?

What are backups for?  That argument applies to any controller, for
anything.  What if you wanted to read those old 8" floppies?  Or that
hard disk from the PDP/11.

If a four year old RAID controller breaks, maybe it's time to get new
disks anyway.

--

@ 2003-10-18 22:55                   ` jw schultz
From: jw schultz @ 2003-10-18 22:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

On Fri, Oct 17, 2003 at 09:18:24PM +0200, Måns Rullgård wrote:
> Samuel Flory <sflory@rackable.com> writes:
>
> >> What about the RAID controllers in the $400 category?  Surely, they
> >> must be doing something better than the $50 fakeraid controllers.
> >>

> >    Yes, but follow this logic.
> >
> > 1)You are willing to devote 10% of 2Ghz xeon to software raid.
> > 2)A $500+ controller has a 100Mhz proccessor.
> >
> >    Thus just from this you could guess that software raid has x2 as
> >    many clock cycles availble to it.  It's even worse when you realize
> >    the 2Ghz xeon is a better proccessor in many more ways than just
> >    clock cycles.
>
> How about this logic:
>
> 1) If the processor on the RAID controller can handle the full
> bandwidth of the disks, it's fast enough.
> 2) If someone else does the 10% work, the CPU can do 10% more work.

And as has been addressed on this list before:

3) If the additional I/O traffic of the RAID can be kept off
of the system busses the overall system throughput goes up.

Once the CPU reaches a certain level of performance it is
the I/O and memory that limit things.  Do you really want to
pollute L1 cache with RAID-5?  When the $400 RAID server
card can saturate the PCI buss it doesn't matter how much
spare CPU you have, SW RAID will not be able to match the
performance.

	email address:		jw@pegasys.ws

		Remember Cernan and Schmitt

* Re: Software RAID5 with 2.6.0-test
@ 2003-10-19  9:25                 ` Pavel Machek
From: Pavel Machek @ 2003-10-19  9:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jakob Oestergaard, kernel list

Hi!

> Now that I'm posting anyway - I thought of a plus for the HW RAID
> controllers (hey, they're way behind on the scoreboard so far, so I
> might as well be a gentleman and give them a point or two):
> *) Battery backed write cache
>
> This will allow the controller to say 'ok I'm done with your sync()',
> way before the data actually reaches the disk platters.  For some

Well, this would mean not only battery-backed controller,
but battery-backed drives, too. (Unless you want to assume that
memory-backup-battery never goes empty).

> While on that topic: SDRAM PCI cards with battery backup can be had
> relatively cheap up to at least a few gigabytes.  It'd be pretty cool to
> have the kernel recognize that for buffer storage. I could see the fun
> in doing half a million random writes and a sync(), and having the
> system tell me it's done the microsecond I issue the sync().

Sync would still take some time as it still makes sense to
do writeback... Main memory is still faster than PCI.
				Pavel
--
				Pavel
Written on sharp zaurus, because my Velo1 broke. If you have Velo you don't need...

* Re: Software RAID5 with 2.6.0-test
@ 2003-10-21 21:36               ` bill davidsen
From: bill davidsen @ 2003-10-21 21:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

In article <yw1xu167kbcw.fsf@users.sourceforge.net>,
=?iso-8859-1?q?M=E5ns_Rullg=E5rd?= <mru@users.sourceforge.net> wrote:
| Bill Davidsen <davidsen@tmr.com> writes:
|
| >> However, I wouln't count on superior performance from software based
| >> RAID 5 (ata/fakeraid or otherwise), that is whats real raid controllers
| >> are for.
| >
| > While an overloaded system may benefit from offloaded the CPU
| > requirements of RAID, unless you go to a very expensive external unit
| > the kernel RAID will usually outperform the inexpensive RAID embedded on
| > a controller. The kernel simply knows more about the data needs and can
| > can do things a controller can't.
|
| What about the RAID controllers in the $400 category?  Surely, they
| must be doing something better than the $50 fakeraid controllers.

Unfortunately my experience is with either the cheap motherboard ones I
get for free and the IBM ServRAID controllers which are kind of in the
"more than that" category. The benefit of the m/b ones is that with
RAID-1 you will get a boot if the boot drive fails. Period. Unlike
optimal RAID-1 which will read mirrored data from any non-busy drive,
the cheap ones seem to do fail-over only, and read the second drive
only if the first fails, or even require both drives to be on the same
cable, ensuring that the bus will be busy when either drive is busy.
They do buy reliability, however, so there are places where they are
very cost effective.

The IBM controllers are everything you ever wanted in a controller. It
supports four SCSI busses for bandwidth, all the RAID types including
5e, and it has Linux config software so you can do most reconfigures on
a running system. I would choose them over anything else I've personally
used, mainly Adaptec and PERC. They are really great for multi-TB
storage systems.

But in between is where software RAID wins. In many medium
applications, the limit isn't CPU, and it isn't bus bandwidth, it's the
base speed of the disk access counted as either access time or
bandwidth depending on the application. So the major benefits of
midprice RAID for ATAPI/SATA aren't realized, performance is the issue.

It's obvious that the o/s has information which a RAID controller
doesn't in terms of ordering i/o. And similarly true that adding a GB to
the main system is going to help overall more than a GB on a controller
(as noted, 256MB seems the limit on some), because the o/s will use it
more effectively for buffers, and because it will eliminate some i/o
entirely, particularly swap. And nothing speeds a disk operation more
than avoiding the need to do it.

Anyone who says that any one solution is best for everything is clearly
misguided, but I do think that for many midsize applications that
software RAID is the most cost effective solution, and vs. moderately
priced controllers very likely to be the higher performance solution as
well.

--

@ 2003-10-21 21:44                 ` bill davidsen
From: bill davidsen @ 2003-10-21 21:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

In article <20031017192419.GG8711@unthought.net>,
Jakob Oestergaard  <jakob@unthought.net> wrote:

| Now that I'm posting anyway - I thought of a plus for the HW RAID
| controllers (hey, they're way behind on the scoreboard so far, so I
| might as well be a gentleman and give them a point or two):
| *) Battery backed write cache
|
| This will allow the controller to say 'ok I'm done with your sync()',
| way before the data actually reaches the disk platters.  For some
| workloads this can be a big win.

Unless the drives are battery backed up as well, I'm not sure that this
is a good thing, or at least a safe thing. And if a write error happens
after the controller tells you the sync() is done? That's a question,
not a comment, I'm not sure Linux software RAID would relocate if the
drive was out of spare sectors, either, but it at least could.

I don't question your statement that caching helps performance, but I
think there is some loss of reliability. I have no numbers to estimate
the effect, so take it as a comment only.
--

@ 2003-10-22 15:17                 ` Chuck Campbell
From: Chuck Campbell @ 2003-10-22 15:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

On Tue, Oct 21, 2003 at 09:36:39PM +0000, bill davidsen wrote:
> In article <yw1xu167kbcw.fsf@users.sourceforge.net>,
> =?iso-8859-1?q?M=E5ns_Rullg=E5rd?= <mru@users.sourceforge.net> wrote:
> | Bill Davidsen <davidsen@tmr.com> writes:
>
> Unfortunately my experience is with either the cheap motherboard ones I
> get for free and the IBM ServRAID controllers which are kind of in the
> "more than that" category. The benefit of the m/b ones is that with
> RAID-1 you will get a boot if the boot drive fails. Period. Unlike
> optimal RAID-1 which will read mirrored data from any non-busy drive,
> the cheap ones seem to do fail-over only, and read the second drive
> only if the first fails, or even require both drives to be on the same
> cable, ensuring that the bus will be busy when either drive is busy.
> They do buy reliability, however, so there are places where they are
> very cost effective.

In this situation that you describe, how does one recover from this?  Do
these cheap motherboard RAID-1's do an autorebuild when the failed
disk is replaced?  (Obviously not hot-swap, but on reboot to replace
the drive).

> The IBM controllers are everything you ever wanted in a controller. It
> supports four SCSI busses for bandwidth, all the RAID types including
> 5e, and it has Linux config software so you can do most reconfigures on
> a running system. I would choose them over anything else I've personally
> used, mainly Adaptec and PERC. They are really great for multi-TB
> storage systems.

Do they compare favorable against 3Ware as well?

> Anyone who says that any one solution is best for everything is clearly
> misguided, but I do think that for many midsize applications that
> software RAID is the most cost effective solution, and vs. moderately
> priced controllers very likely to be the higher performance solution as
> well.

Is this statement true, in your opinion, for RAID-5 as well?

-chuck

* Re: Software RAID5 with 2.6.0-test
@ 2003-10-22  2:37   ` jw schultz
From: jw schultz @ 2003-10-22  2:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

On Tue, Oct 21, 2003 at 09:51:59PM +0000, bill davidsen wrote:
> In article <20031018115049.GB760@gallifrey>,
> Dr. David Alan Gilbert <gilbertd@treblig.org> wrote:
>
> |   I'd love to see some real benchmarks to prove me wrong however!
>
> Okay, I'm scheduled to build a system next month, give me the name of a
> good controller which will do four drives and which can be used as a
> dumb controller as well, and I'll grab six drives for the build and run
> a test (baring a change in schedule, obviously).

I'd try the 3ware.  AC and others have reported good
throughput and, at least compared to SCSI, they aren't that
expensive and claim to support JBOD.  I just checked on
pricewatch and the 7506-4 can be had for about $250US and
the eight port for about $375.  Older models can be had for
less.  When the economy picks back up enough to improve my
bank ballance i'm planning to buy a few.

@ 2003-10-21 21:51 ` bill davidsen
From: bill davidsen @ 2003-10-21 21:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

@ 2003-10-18 11:50 Dr. David Alan Gilbert
From: Dr. David Alan Gilbert @ 2003-10-18 11:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

Hi,
  First off, I am never going to try building a software IDE RAID 5
on Linux again in an important production system - my experience
says that it just isn't possible to get that many IDE channels
to work together reliably.  I know there are some people who
have managed it, and I did hear there was a race condition
and a patch to fix it - but in the end in a production system
with a serious size of RAID throwing in a 3-ware or similar
is a hell of a lot simpler and just works.

  As for speed; well I'm not sure.  I think the comparisons of
100MHz processors vs the speed of your xeon are bogus.  I would
hope at least some of the work on the hardware raid controllers
is done in hardware (XORing blocks of data isn't exactly hard
in hardware), and in addition the amount of CPU used is going
to be limited by memory bandwidth (and associated cache pollution?)
before the clock rate of the processor gets involved I would
have thought.

  I'd love to see some real benchmarks to prove me wrong however!

Dave

/ Dr. David Alan Gilbert    | Running GNU/Linux on Alpha,68K| Happy  \
\ gro.gilbert @ treblig.org | MIPS,x86,ARM,SPARC,PPC & HPPA | In Hex /