alsa-devel.alsa-project.org archive mirror
* Re [1]:
@ 2004-09-30 17:08 Wendell Jack
From: Wendell Jack @ 2004-09-30 17:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: alsa-devel

* Spam on Alsa-devel.
@ 2004-09-30 17:43 ` Carsten Koch
From: Carsten Koch @ 2004-09-30 17:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: alsa-devel

It appears I am receiving more spam via Alsa-devel these days
than via the rest of my mail together (I am using this
http://angel.net/~nic/spam-x.html against spam, which is very
effective, but totally helpless against spam posted to a
list I am subscribed to).

I wonder why the list accepts postings from non-subscribers.

I will unsubscribe now.

Could any kind soul please inform me when the issue is resolved?
I will re-subscribe then.

Thanks and cheers,

Carsten.

* Re: Spam on Alsa-devel.
@ 2004-09-30 18:25   ` Lee Revell
From: Lee Revell @ 2004-09-30 18:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carsten Koch; +Cc: alsa-devel

On Thu, 2004-09-30 at 13:43, Carsten Koch wrote:
> It appears I am receiving more spam via Alsa-devel these days
> than via the rest of my mail together (I am using this
> http://angel.net/~nic/spam-x.html against spam, which is very
> effective, but totally helpless against spam posted to a
> list I am subscribed to).
>
> I wonder why the list accepts postings from non-subscribers.

We have to allow nonsubscribers to post because the kernel developers
need to be able to cc: alsa-devel.  The problem is inadequate spam
filtering on the server.  I would imagine Jaroslav has notified
SourceForge of the problem.

In the meantime, just filter the messages on spam score.  SF's mail
servers do assign a spam score, but the cutoff threshold is too low.

> I will unsubscribe now.

Don't let the door hit you in the ass on the way out.

Lee

* Re: Spam on Alsa-devel.
@ 2004-09-30 21:11     ` Lee Revell
From: Lee Revell @ 2004-09-30 21:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carsten Koch; +Cc: alsa-devel

On Thu, 2004-09-30 at 14:25, Lee Revell wrote:
> On Thu, 2004-09-30 at 13:43, Carsten Koch wrote:
> > It appears I am receiving more spam via Alsa-devel these days
> > than via the rest of my mail together (I am using this
> > http://angel.net/~nic/spam-x.html against spam, which is very
> > effective, but totally helpless against spam posted to a
> > list I am subscribed to).
> >
> > I wonder why the list accepts postings from non-subscribers.
> >

> We have to allow nonsubscribers to post because the kernel developers
> need to be able to cc: alsa-devel.  The problem is inadequate spam
> filtering on the server.  I would imagine Jaroslav has notified
> SourceForge of the problem.
>
> In the meantime, just filter the messages on spam score.  SF's mail
> servers do assign a spam score, but the cutoff threshold is too low.

Actually if you look at the headers of the spam, there's an
X-Spam-Report header that gives you a URL to report problems with the
spamassassin filtering.  The last spam I got has a spam score of only
2.1, so the system definitely is not perfect.  Just report the problem
using the URL in the X-Spam-Report header.

Lee

* Re: Spam on Alsa-devel.
@ 2004-10-01  6:01   ` Jaroslav Kysela
From: Jaroslav Kysela @ 2004-10-01  6:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carsten Koch; +Cc: alsa-devel

On Thu, 30 Sep 2004, Carsten Koch wrote:

> It appears I am receiving more spam via Alsa-devel these days
> than via the rest of my mail together (I am using this
> http://angel.net/~nic/spam-x.html against spam, which is very
> effective, but totally helpless against spam posted to a
> list I am subscribed to).
>
> I wonder why the list accepts postings from non-subscribers.

Because of kernel folks.

> I will unsubscribe now.

http://sourceforge.net/docman/display_doc.php?docid=6695&group_id=1#spam_virus

						Jaroslav

-----
Jaroslav Kysela <perex@suse.cz>
Linux Kernel Sound Maintainer
ALSA Project, SUSE Labs

* Re: Spam on Alsa-devel.
@ 2004-10-01  8:32     ` James Courtier-Dutton
From: James Courtier-Dutton @ 2004-10-01  8:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jaroslav Kysela; +Cc: Carsten Koch, alsa-devel

Jaroslav Kysela wrote:
> On Thu, 30 Sep 2004, Carsten Koch wrote:
>

>>It appears I am receiving more spam via Alsa-devel these days
>>than via the rest of my mail together (I am using this
>>http://angel.net/~nic/spam-x.html against spam, which is very
>>effective, but totally helpless against spam posted to a
>>list I am subscribed to).
>>
>>I wonder why the list accepts postings from non-subscribers.
>

> Because of kernel folks.

Jaroslav,

We can still keep this email list private.

All you have to do is select:
"Send mail to poster when their posting is held for approval? NO"

So, any post by a non-member will have to be authorised, the the
authorisation will be quiet.
In this way, you can filter out all SPAM manually, so that it does not
get posted to the list.
If mail is from the kernel mailing list, accept it, if it is from a
non-member, manually reject it, saying only members can submit messages.

I think that would be acceptable to everyone.
I do this for my mailing lists.

James

* Re: Spam on Alsa-devel.
@ 2004-10-01  8:37       ` Jaroslav Kysela
From: Jaroslav Kysela @ 2004-10-01  8:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: James Courtier-Dutton; +Cc: Carsten Koch, alsa-devel

On Fri, 1 Oct 2004, James Courtier-Dutton wrote:

> So, any post by a non-member will have to be authorised, the the
> authorisation will be quiet.
> In this way, you can filter out all SPAM manually, so that it does not
> get posted to the list.
> If mail is from the kernel mailing list, accept it, if it is from a
> non-member, manually reject it, saying only members can submit messages.

I don't have a power to filter messages every day.. Any volunteer?

						Jaroslav

-----

@ 2004-10-01 16:12         ` Florian Schmidt
From: Florian Schmidt @ 2004-10-01 16:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jaroslav Kysela; +Cc: James Courtier-Dutton, Carsten Koch, alsa-devel

On Fri, 1 Oct 2004 10:37:04 +0200 (CEST)
Jaroslav Kysela <perex@suse.cz> wrote:

> On Fri, 1 Oct 2004, James Courtier-Dutton wrote:
>
> > So, any post by a non-member will have to be authorised, the the
> > authorisation will be quiet.
> > In this way, you can filter out all SPAM manually, so that it does
> > not get posted to the list.
> > If mail is from the kernel mailing list, accept it, if it is from a
> > non-member, manually reject it, saying only members can submit
> > messages.
>
> I don't have a power to filter messages every day.. Any volunteer?

couldn't this be automated? every message having lkml somewhere in its
headers comes through? everything else from non members not.

flo

* Re: Spam on Alsa-devel.
@ 2004-10-01 17:19           ` Lee Revell
From: Lee Revell @ 2004-10-01 17:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Florian Schmidt
  Cc: Jaroslav Kysela, James Courtier-Dutton, Carsten Koch, alsa-devel

On Fri, 2004-10-01 at 12:12, Florian Schmidt wrote:
> On Fri, 1 Oct 2004 10:37:04 +0200 (CEST)
> Jaroslav Kysela <perex@suse.cz> wrote:
>
> > On Fri, 1 Oct 2004, James Courtier-Dutton wrote:
> >
> > > So, any post by a non-member will have to be authorised, the the
> > > authorisation will be quiet.
> > > In this way, you can filter out all SPAM manually, so that it does
> > > not get posted to the list.
> > > If mail is from the kernel mailing list, accept it, if it is from a
> > > non-member, manually reject it, saying only members can submit
> > > messages.
> >
> > I don't have a power to filter messages every day.. Any volunteer?
>
> couldn't this be automated? every message having lkml somewhere in its
> headers comes through? everything else from non members not.

No, because the message could have come from any of the kernel
developers.  All this would do is allow any spam to the list to go
through as long as LKML was cc:ed.  In theory this has a HUGE hole, in
practice, maybe it could work well.

I still think it's worth a spam here and there to not have to subscribe
to a list to post to it.  It works for LKML, they do get spammed but
only one or two a day.  If the one or two spams a day are REALLY
intolerable then we should report the problem to sourceforge.

Lee