cip-dev.lists.cip-project.org archive mirror
* [cip-dev] CIP IRC weekly meeting today
@ 2019-09-26  2:46 SZ Lin (林上智)
       [not found] ` <CAFa_k0gBzv-2bOF_pGbpvZQyQ1ocEu-bsBNT_JsWi12cxrK-Pg@mail.gmail.com>
From: SZ Lin (林上智) @ 2019-09-26  2:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cip-dev

Hi all,

Kindly be reminded to attend the weekly meeting through IRC to discuss technical topics with CIP kernel today.

*Please note that IRC meeting was rescheduled to UTC (GMT) 09:00 starting from the first week of Apr. according to TSC meeting*
https://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/meetingdetails.html?year=2019&month=9&day=26&hour=9&min=0&sec=0&p1=241&p2=137&p3=179&p4=136&p5=37&p6=248

US-West US-East   UK     DE     TW     JP
02:00    05:00   10:00   11:00   17:00   18:00

Channel:
* irc:chat.freenode.net:6667/cip

Agenda:

* Action item
1. Provide the cases to cip-testing to build up the test environment - Iwamatsu-san

2. Test LTS (pre)releases directly - patersonc

* Kernel maintenance updates
* Kernel testing
* CIP Core
* Software update
* AOB

The meeting will take 30 min, although it can be extended to an hour if it makes sense and those involved in the topics can stay. Otherwise, the topic will be taken offline or in the next meeting.

Best regards,

SZ Lin, Moxa.

@ 2019-09-26  3:01   ` masashi.kudo at cybertrust.co.jp
From: masashi.kudo at cybertrust.co.jp @ 2019-09-26  3:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cip-dev

Hi, SZ-san, All,

Cybertrust would like to propose some contribution as described in the attached material.
I would appreciate it if this topic can be discussed in AOB.

Best regards,
--
M. Kudo
Cybertrust Japan Co., Ltd.

* irc:chat.freenode.net:6667/cip<http://chat.freenode.net:6667/cip>

Agenda:

* Action item
1. Provide the cases to cip-testing to build up the test environment - Iwamatsu-san

2. Test LTS (pre)releases directly - patersonc

* Kernel maintenance updates
* Kernel testing
* CIP Core
* Software update
* AOB

The meeting will take 30 min, although it can be extended to an hour if it makes sense and those involved in the topics can stay. Otherwise, the topic will be taken offline or in the next meeting.

Best regards,

SZ Lin, Moxa.
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...

* [cip-dev] CIP IRC weekly meeting today
@ 2019-09-28  4:30     ` masashi.kudo at cybertrust.co.jp
From: masashi.kudo at cybertrust.co.jp @ 2019-09-28  4:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cip-dev

Chris-san,

At the CIP kernel meeting, there was the following conversation regarding the Cybertrust proposal.
(BTW, 'masashi910' is me. )

[18:45] <patersonc> masashi910: Are you planning to set up your own LAVA worker?
[18:45] <masashi910> patersonc: Let me check. I will get back to you by email.

Cybertrust plans to set up our own LAVA worker in our Lab.
If you have comments or concerns, please let me know.

Best regards,
--
M. Kudo
Cybertrust Japan Co., Ltd.

@ 2019-09-30  7:19       ` Chris Paterson
From: Chris Paterson @ 2019-09-30  7:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cip-dev

Hello Kudo-san,

Thank you for the information.

Kind regards, Chris

@ 2019-10-01  2:47     ` masashi.kudo at cybertrust.co.jp
From: masashi.kudo at cybertrust.co.jp @ 2019-10-01  2:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cip-dev

Hi, Pavel-san,

At the CIP kernel meeting, there was the following conversation regarding the Cybertrust proposal.
(BTW, 'masashi910' is me. )

[18:43] <pave1> masashi910: We don't need working version at the moment. But if you could mail the patches, or post pointer for them, or at least diffstat... That would help.
[18:44] <masashi910> pavel: Thanks. Our work is currently being done locally. I will discuss our team how to share the patches with you.

The current work which contains all CIP kernel files is compiled into a tar ball, and I uploaded the ball under the following repository.
https://github.com/masashi910/tmp-cip-xilinx-mpsoc/

Please let me reiterate the following:
 - Cybertrust so far identified patches (in BSP) to be applied to CIP SLTS4.19 for some use cases
 - Those patches were from BSP, and our next step is to figure out which patches are actually in Mainline tree.
 - In another word, some of the current identified patches may not be in Mainline tree, yet.

Best regards,
--
M. Kudo

[...]

* [cip-dev] Xiling MPSOC -- was Re:  CIP IRC weekly meeting today
@ 2019-10-01  8:47       ` Pavel Machek
From: Pavel Machek @ 2019-10-01  8:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cip-dev

Hi!

> At the CIP kernel meeting, there was the following conversation regarding the Cybertrust proposal.
> (BTW, 'masashi910' is me. )
>
> [18:43] <pave1> masashi910: We don't need working version at the moment. But if you could mail the patches, or post pointer for them, or at least diffstat... That would help.
> [18:44] <masashi910> pavel: Thanks. Our work is currently being done locally. I will discuss our team how to share the patches with you.
>
> The current work which contains all CIP kernel files is compiled into a tar ball, and I uploaded the ball under the following repository.
> https://github.com/masashi910/tmp-cip-xilinx-mpsoc/

Thanks, let me take a look.

For the record, way to get the files is

git clone https://github.com/masashi910/tmp-cip-xilinx-mpsoc.git
cd tmp-cip*
cat linux-4.19.56.tar.bz2.00* > linux.tar.bz2
tar xjvf linux.tar.bz2

Unfortunately, git commands can not be used in that repository, since
it points to alternates somewhere.

I diffed that against v4.19.56; which unfortunately produced unclean
diff as it now also includes the -cip changes. I quickly reviewed and
hand-edited the diff.

I notice this includes staging drivers.

+obj-$(CONFIG_XILINX_APF)       += apf/
+obj-$(CONFIG_XILINX_FCLK)      += fclk/

I believe you should get those reviewed and moved outside of staging
before attempting to backport them.

Otherwise I don't see anything too scary.

     		      	      	  	  	     	     	     Pavel
* [cip-dev] Xiling MPSOC -- was Re: CIP IRC weekly meeting today
@ 2019-10-01  9:19         ` Pavel Machek
From: Pavel Machek @ 2019-10-01  9:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cip-dev

Hi!

> > The current work which contains all CIP kernel files is compiled into a tar ball, and I uploaded the ball under the following repository.
> > https://github.com/masashi910/tmp-cip-xilinx-mpsoc/
>
> Thanks, let me take a look.
>
> For the record, way to get the files is
> I diffed that against v4.19.56; which unfortunately produced unclean
> diff as it now also includes the -cip changes. I quickly reviewed and
> hand-edited the diff.
>
> I notice this includes staging drivers.
>
> +obj-$(CONFIG_XILINX_APF)       += apf/
> +obj-$(CONFIG_XILINX_FCLK)      += fclk/
>
> I believe you should get those reviewed and moved outside of staging
> before attempting to backport them.
>
> Otherwise I don't see anything too scary.

>From my point of view, I don't see anything that would prevent merge
to -cip. Steps to take would be:

a) Identify minimum usable subset of the patches. That would likely be
"whatever is neccessary to get some kind of output on serial console",
probably clock, pinctrl, serial, dts.

b) Verify that support is already in mainline, submit neccessary
patches if not.

c) Add this point it may be useful to start running tests of mainline
on your LAVA board.

d) Probably send a list of patches that will be needed for initial
boot.

e) Start submitting patches for review & merge.

Thanks and best regards,
								Pavel
@ 2019-10-01 12:41           ` masashi.kudo at cybertrust.co.jp
From: masashi.kudo at cybertrust.co.jp @ 2019-10-01 12:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cip-dev

Pavel-san,

Thanks very much for your quick review and suggestions for the next steps!
Those are very helpful for us, and should be the basis of the general guideline to contribute such code.
Anyway, I will wait for the official approval from the kernel team to move things forward.

SZ-san,

Please let me know if there is anything else I should prepare.

Best regards,
--
M. Kudo

@ 2019-10-01 16:02             ` Jan Kiszka
From: Jan Kiszka @ 2019-10-01 16:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cip-dev

On 01.10.19 14:41, masashi.kudo at cybertrust.co.jp wrote:
> Pavel-san,
>
> Thanks very much for your quick review and suggestions for the next steps!
> Those are very helpful for us, and should be the basis of the general guideline to contribute such code.

Indeed, creating some guide on how to write acceptable upstream backports would
be useful.

> Anyway, I will wait for the official approval from the kernel team to move things forward.

For the decision process, I would say the kernel maintainers are first of all in
charge to decide about accepting a backport set or not. If they see noteworthy
consequences on the additional effort that needs to be spend in maintenance or
testing (the latter implies a sync with the testing group), they should bring
this topic forward to the TSC.

Again my proposal to try to get Xilinx folks involved, at technical level ("Did
we get all dependencies?") as well as management level ("Strategically
interesting for you and your other customers?"). I'm trying the same with other
SoC vendors we are working with, and there is progress. At the bare minimum, it
creates awareness.

Jan

@ 2019-10-02  3:00         ` masashi.kudo at cybertrust.co.jp
From: masashi.kudo at cybertrust.co.jp @ 2019-10-02  3:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cip-dev

Pavel-san,

I'm sorry not to mention about the following:

> Unfortunately, git commands can not be used in that repository, since it points to alternates somewhere.

I am really sorry for the inconvenience.

Best regards,
--
M. Kudo