kernelnewbies.kernelnewbies.org archive mirror
* Setting up to debug kernel
@ 2019-10-17  1:14 Jerry DeLisle
From: Jerry DeLisle @ 2019-10-17  1:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

I have a fairly new processor and motherboard. I recently upgraded the BIOS on
this system and found that the kernel just locks up, everything freezes within a
few minutes.  I want to see if I can capture any data from the kernel as this
happens.

My first thought is to try to connect via a serial port or similarly a USB based
port and get some sort of continuous stream of log data that I can capture on
another machine.

I also suppose that I could use SSH to login remotely and likewise grab logs.

Regardless I am looking for recommended best approach here.  I suspect a driver
issue, so I am going to try to boot to runlevel 3 with just basic console (fancy
graphics interface) and proceed from there.

Any pointers would be appreciated.

Jerry