Kernel Newbies archive on lore.kernel.org
 help / color / Atom feed
* Current Instruction Pointer Along Memory Access for A specific Process
@ 2020-06-08 12:28 Irfan Ullah (울라 이르판)
  2020-06-08 12:35 ` Greg KH
  0 siblings, 1 reply; 4+ messages in thread
From: Irfan Ullah (울라 이르판) @ 2020-06-08 12:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Linux Kernel List

[-- Attachment #1.1: Type: text/plain, Size: 1361 bytes --]

Hi everyone,
I am trying to generate the log of instruction pointers (IPs) along with
corresponding memory accesses (including the page faults) in a sequence for
a specific application. I have generated the log of page faults along with
corresponding memory addresses by modifying the Linux Kernel code for a
specific application, but  I didn't find the location of the
current instruction pointers along with corresponding memory addresses;
being analyzing Linux kernel code for more than a week. I think what I need
is available in the code related to the CPU control unit because it handles
the fetch-execute cycle; I looked for it but couldn't find the code
responsible for the fetch-execute cycle in the kernel code.

Could anyone suggest to me where could I find the current value of  IP
along with the memory address in the Kernel code?

 There are some tools available to generate the log of instruction pointers
with memory accesses but I can't use them because I need a log of memory
accesses and page faults in exact sequence and order along with
corresponding IPs.

Thank you.

-- 
*Best Regards,*


*Mr. Irfan Ullah*
PhD Candidate
Data and Knowledge Engineering(DKE) Lab
Department of Computer Science and Engineering
Kyung Hee University, South Korea.
 +82-010-591-51651 <+82%2010-3877-8867>
  sahibzada.iu@gmail.com
*Skype*: sahibzada_irfanullah

[-- Attachment #1.2: Type: text/html, Size: 2980 bytes --]

[-- Attachment #2: Type: text/plain, Size: 170 bytes --]

_______________________________________________
Kernelnewbies mailing list
Kernelnewbies@kernelnewbies.org
https://lists.kernelnewbies.org/mailman/listinfo/kernelnewbies

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 4+ messages in thread

* Re: Current Instruction Pointer Along Memory Access for A specific Process
  2020-06-08 12:28 Current Instruction Pointer Along Memory Access for A specific Process Irfan Ullah (울라 이르판)
@ 2020-06-08 12:35 ` Greg KH
  2020-06-10  7:37   ` Irfan Ullah (울라 이르판)
  0 siblings, 1 reply; 4+ messages in thread
From: Greg KH @ 2020-06-08 12:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Irfan Ullah (울라 이르판); +Cc: Linux Kernel List

On Mon, Jun 08, 2020 at 09:28:37PM +0900, Irfan Ullah (울라 이르판) wrote:
> Hi everyone,
> I am trying to generate the log of instruction pointers (IPs) along with
> corresponding memory accesses (including the page faults) in a sequence for
> a specific application. I have generated the log of page faults along with
> corresponding memory addresses by modifying the Linux Kernel code for a
> specific application, but  I didn't find the location of the
> current instruction pointers along with corresponding memory addresses;
> being analyzing Linux kernel code for more than a week. I think what I need
> is available in the code related to the CPU control unit because it handles
> the fetch-execute cycle; I looked for it but couldn't find the code
> responsible for the fetch-execute cycle in the kernel code.
> 
> Could anyone suggest to me where could I find the current value of  IP
> along with the memory address in the Kernel code?
> 
>  There are some tools available to generate the log of instruction pointers
> with memory accesses but I can't use them because I need a log of memory
> accesses and page faults in exact sequence and order along with
> corresponding IPs.

That's an "odd" requirement, what problem are you trying to solve?

Anyway, have you tried the 'perf' tool?  I think it will provide you
with everything you need here, right?

good luck!

greg k-h

_______________________________________________
Kernelnewbies mailing list
Kernelnewbies@kernelnewbies.org
https://lists.kernelnewbies.org/mailman/listinfo/kernelnewbies

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 4+ messages in thread

* Re: Current Instruction Pointer Along Memory Access for A specific Process
  2020-06-08 12:35 ` Greg KH
@ 2020-06-10  7:37   ` Irfan Ullah (울라 이르판)
  2020-06-11 12:53     ` Garrit Franke
  0 siblings, 1 reply; 4+ messages in thread
From: Irfan Ullah (울라 이르판) @ 2020-06-10  7:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Greg KH; +Cc: Linux Kernel List

[-- Attachment #1.1: Type: text/plain, Size: 2381 bytes --]

Thank you. I want to analyze the memory accesses of virtual machines on a
host system and propose efficient prefetchers. Currently, I am trying to
generate the memory accesses and page faults in the order in which they
occur. As said, I can gather page faults directly from "page faults
kvm_mmu_page_fault()
<https://elixir.bootlin.com/linux/latest/source/arch/x86/kvm/mmu/mmu.c#L5429>"
at run time, but I didn't find the location of memory accesses for
virtual machines.
I will check the "perf" that how it could be useful.

On Mon, Jun 8, 2020 at 9:35 PM Greg KH <greg@kroah.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Jun 08, 2020 at 09:28:37PM +0900, Irfan Ullah (울라 이르판) wrote:
> > Hi everyone,
> > I am trying to generate the log of instruction pointers (IPs) along with
> > corresponding memory accesses (including the page faults) in a sequence
> for
> > a specific application. I have generated the log of page faults along
> with
> > corresponding memory addresses by modifying the Linux Kernel code for a
> > specific application, but  I didn't find the location of the
> > current instruction pointers along with corresponding memory addresses;
> > being analyzing Linux kernel code for more than a week. I think what I
> need
> > is available in the code related to the CPU control unit because it
> handles
> > the fetch-execute cycle; I looked for it but couldn't find the code
> > responsible for the fetch-execute cycle in the kernel code.
> >
> > Could anyone suggest to me where could I find the current value of  IP
> > along with the memory address in the Kernel code?
> >
> >  There are some tools available to generate the log of instruction
> pointers
> > with memory accesses but I can't use them because I need a log of memory
> > accesses and page faults in exact sequence and order along with
> > corresponding IPs.
>
> That's an "odd" requirement, what problem are you trying to solve?
>
> Anyway, have you tried the 'perf' tool?  I think it will provide you
> with everything you need here, right?
>
> good luck!
>
> greg k-h
>


-- 
*Best Regards,*


*Mr. Irfan Ullah*
PhD Candidate
Data and Knowledge Engineering(DKE) Lab
Department of Computer Science and Engineering
Kyung Hee University, South Korea.
 +82-010-591-51651 <+82%2010-3877-8867>
  sahibzada.iu@gmail.com
*Skype*: sahibzada_irfanullah

[-- Attachment #1.2: Type: text/html, Size: 4275 bytes --]

[-- Attachment #2: Type: text/plain, Size: 170 bytes --]

_______________________________________________
Kernelnewbies mailing list
Kernelnewbies@kernelnewbies.org
https://lists.kernelnewbies.org/mailman/listinfo/kernelnewbies

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 4+ messages in thread

* Re: Current Instruction Pointer Along Memory Access for A specific Process
  2020-06-10  7:37   ` Irfan Ullah (울라 이르판)
@ 2020-06-11 12:53     ` Garrit Franke
  0 siblings, 0 replies; 4+ messages in thread
From: Garrit Franke @ 2020-06-11 12:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Irfan Ullah (울라 이르판)
  Cc: Greg KH, Linux Kernel List

Hi Irfan,

I just wanted to let you know that your mail got stuck in my spam
folder, because it's not in plain text.
Greg, correct me if I'm wrong, but kernel mails should always be in plain text.

On Wed, Jun 10, 2020 at 9:38 PM, Irfan Ullah (울라 이르판)
<irfan@dke.khu.ac.kr> wrote:
>
> Thank you. I want to analyze the memory accesses of virtual machines on a host system and propose efficient prefetchers. Currently, I am trying to generate the memory accesses and page faults in the order in which they occur. As said, I can gather page faults directly from "page faults kvm_mmu_page_fault()" at run time, but I didn't find the location of memory accesses for virtual machines.
> I will check the "perf" that how it could be useful.
>
> On Mon, Jun 8, 2020 at 9:35 PM Greg KH <greg@kroah.com> wrote:
>>
>> On Mon, Jun 08, 2020 at 09:28:37PM +0900, Irfan Ullah (울라 이르판) wrote:
>> > Hi everyone,
>> > I am trying to generate the log of instruction pointers (IPs) along with
>> > corresponding memory accesses (including the page faults) in a sequence for
>> > a specific application. I have generated the log of page faults along with
>> > corresponding memory addresses by modifying the Linux Kernel code for a
>> > specific application, but  I didn't find the location of the
>> > current instruction pointers along with corresponding memory addresses;
>> > being analyzing Linux kernel code for more than a week. I think what I need
>> > is available in the code related to the CPU control unit because it handles
>> > the fetch-execute cycle; I looked for it but couldn't find the code
>> > responsible for the fetch-execute cycle in the kernel code.
>> >
>> > Could anyone suggest to me where could I find the current value of  IP
>> > along with the memory address in the Kernel code?
>> >
>> >  There are some tools available to generate the log of instruction pointers
>> > with memory accesses but I can't use them because I need a log of memory
>> > accesses and page faults in exact sequence and order along with
>> > corresponding IPs.
>>
>> That's an "odd" requirement, what problem are you trying to solve?
>>
>> Anyway, have you tried the 'perf' tool?  I think it will provide you
>> with everything you need here, right?
>>
>> good luck!
>>
>> greg k-h
>
>
>
> --
> Best Regards,
>
>
> Mr. Irfan Ullah
> PhD Candidate
> Data and Knowledge Engineering(DKE) Lab
> Department of Computer Science and Engineering
> Kyung Hee University, South Korea.
>  +82-010-591-51651
>   sahibzada.iu@gmail.com
> Skype: sahibzada_irfanullah
> _______________________________________________
> Kernelnewbies mailing list
> Kernelnewbies@kernelnewbies.org
> https://lists.kernelnewbies.org/mailman/listinfo/kernelnewbies

_______________________________________________
Kernelnewbies mailing list
Kernelnewbies@kernelnewbies.org
https://lists.kernelnewbies.org/mailman/listinfo/kernelnewbies

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 4+ messages in thread

end of thread, back to index

Thread overview: 4+ messages (download: mbox.gz / follow: Atom feed)
-- links below jump to the message on this page --
2020-06-08 12:28 Current Instruction Pointer Along Memory Access for A specific Process Irfan Ullah (울라 이르판)
2020-06-08 12:35 ` Greg KH
2020-06-10  7:37   ` Irfan Ullah (울라 이르판)
2020-06-11 12:53     ` Garrit Franke

Kernel Newbies archive on lore.kernel.org

Archives are clonable:
	git clone --mirror https://lore.kernel.org/kernelnewbies/0 kernelnewbies/git/0.git

	# If you have public-inbox 1.1+ installed, you may
	# initialize and index your mirror using the following commands:
	public-inbox-init -V2 kernelnewbies kernelnewbies/ https://lore.kernel.org/kernelnewbies \
		kernelnewbies@kernelnewbies.org
	public-inbox-index kernelnewbies

Example config snippet for mirrors

Newsgroup available over NNTP:
	nntp://nntp.lore.kernel.org/org.kernelnewbies.kernelnewbies


AGPL code for this site: git clone https://public-inbox.org/public-inbox.git