kernelnewbies.kernelnewbies.org archive mirror
* How to debug throughput issues?
@ 2019-06-25 16:56 Subhashini Rao Beerisetty
From: Subhashini Rao Beerisetty @ 2019-06-25 16:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

 Hi All,

 I’ve two Bluetooth dongles and connected to two Linux
systems(hostname1, hostname2). I’ve a test executable and it creates a
BT link does the file transfer and calculates the throughput.

 I repeated the same test with the same BT dongles on another
different Linux systems(hostname3, hostname4), here I’m getting less
data rate.

Here first I want to narrow down whether the issue is below device
driver level or above device driver level and where the bottleneck is?
which tools will help me to debug this kind of issue?

Thanks

* Re: How to debug throughput issues?
@ 2019-06-26  2:14 ` Hariprasad Kelam
From: Hariprasad Kelam @ 2019-06-26  2:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Subhashini Rao Beerisetty, kernelnewbies

On Tue, Jun 25, 2019 at 10:26:54PM +0530, Subhashini Rao Beerisetty wrote:
Hi  Subhashini,

Please see inline,
>  Hi All,
>
>  I’ve two Bluetooth dongles and connected to two Linux
> systems(hostname1, hostname2). I’ve a test executable and it creates a
> BT link does the file transfer and calculates the throughput.

Are these dongle supports classic mode or Ble?
Which profile are you using to establish connection between these two? (
PAN, ..etc)
>  I repeated the same test with the same BT dongles on another
> different Linux systems(hostname3, hostname4), here I’m getting less
> data rate.

After inserting dongles to host are you getting serial interface
/dev/tty* or hci interface ?
If its hci interface ,you can use hcidump to see packets  and check MTU
size
> Here first I want to narrow down whether the issue is below device
> driver level or above device driver level and where the bottleneck is?
> which tools will help me to debug this kind of issue?

I think before jumping into driver level ,its better to ensure all
bluetooth parameters are same on both the setups.

Thanks,
Hariprasad k

@ 2019-06-26  5:26   ` Subhashini Rao Beerisetty
From: Subhashini Rao Beerisetty @ 2019-06-26  5:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Hariprasad Kelam; +Cc: kernelnewbies

On Wed, Jun 26, 2019 at 7:44 AM Hariprasad Kelam
<hariprasad.kelam@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Jun 25, 2019 at 10:26:54PM +0530, Subhashini Rao Beerisetty wrote:
> Hi  Subhashini,
>
> Please see inline,
> >  Hi All,
> >
> >  I’ve two Bluetooth dongles and connected to two Linux
> > systems(hostname1, hostname2). I’ve a test executable and it creates a
> > BT link does the file transfer and calculates the throughput.
> >
> Are these dongle supports classic mode or Ble?
It supports classic mode.

> Which profile are you using to establish connection between these two? (
> PAN, ..etc)
> >  I repeated the same test with the same BT dongles on another
> > different Linux systems(hostname3, hostname4), here I’m getting less
> > data rate.
> >
> After inserting dongles to host are you getting serial interface
> /dev/tty* or hci interface ?
Using serial interface /dev/tty*

> If its hci interface ,you can use hcidump to see packets  and check MTU
> size
> > Here first I want to narrow down whether the issue is below device
> > driver level or above device driver level and where the bottleneck is?
> > which tools will help me to debug this kind of issue?
> >
> I think before jumping into driver level ,its better to ensure all
> bluetooth parameters are same on both the setups.
Except the kernel version(hostname1 & 2 are having same kernel and it
differs with hostname3 & 4 kernel version) rest all other stuff is
same. So I'd like to know how to know which part of kernel mode
functions causing more delay and any tools are there to debug these
issues?

@ 2019-06-26  5:47     ` hariprasad kelam
From: hariprasad kelam @ 2019-06-26  5:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Subhashini Rao Beerisetty; +Cc: kernelnewbies

Hi subhashini,

On Wed, 26 Jun, 2019, 10:56 AM Subhashini Rao Beerisetty, <
subhashbeerisetty@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Jun 26, 2019 at 7:44 AM Hariprasad Kelam
> <hariprasad.kelam@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > On Tue, Jun 25, 2019 at 10:26:54PM +0530, Subhashini Rao Beerisetty
> wrote:
> > Hi  Subhashini,
> >
> > Please see inline,
> > >  Hi All,
> > >
> > >  I’ve two Bluetooth dongles and connected to two Linux
> > > systems(hostname1, hostname2). I’ve a test executable and it creates a
> > > BT link does the file transfer and calculates the throughput.
> > >
> > Are these dongle supports classic mode or Ble?
> It supports classic mode.
>
> > Which profile are you using to establish connection between these two? (
> > PAN, ..etc)
> > >  I repeated the same test with the same BT dongles on another
> > > different Linux systems(hostname3, hostname4), here I’m getting less
> > > data rate.
> > >
> > After inserting dongles to host are you getting serial interface
> > /dev/tty* or hci interface ?
> Using serial interface /dev/tty*
> If it's inbuilt serial profile ..kernel simply creates serial interface.

    You may focus on serial driver .

@ 2019-06-26  5:52       ` Subhashini Rao Beerisetty
From: Subhashini Rao Beerisetty @ 2019-06-26  5:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: hariprasad kelam; +Cc: kernelnewbies

On Wed, Jun 26, 2019 at 11:17 AM hariprasad kelam
<hariprasad.kelam@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi subhashini,
>
> On Wed, 26 Jun, 2019, 10:56 AM Subhashini Rao Beerisetty, <subhashbeerisetty@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> On Wed, Jun 26, 2019 at 7:44 AM Hariprasad Kelam
>> <hariprasad.kelam@gmail.com> wrote:
>> >
>> > On Tue, Jun 25, 2019 at 10:26:54PM +0530, Subhashini Rao Beerisetty wrote:
>> > Hi  Subhashini,
>> >
>> > Please see inline,

>> > Are these dongle supports classic mode or Ble?
>> It supports classic mode.
>>
>> > Which profile are you using to establish connection between these two? (
>> > PAN, ..etc)
>> > >
>> > After inserting dongles to host are you getting serial interface
>> > /dev/tty* or hci interface ?
>> Using serial interface /dev/tty*
>> If it's inbuilt serial profile ..kernel simply creates serial interface.
>
>     You may focus on serial driver .
Does kernel has any tools to identify the costly(long time taken) API's?