kernelnewbies.kernelnewbies.org archive mirror
* Changelog of features / drivers removed from kernel?
@ 2021-02-07 22:30 Evan T Mesterhazy
From: Evan T Mesterhazy @ 2021-02-07 22:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

Apologies if this comes off as a lazy question, but after a fair bit of
searching I've been unable to find a changelog indicating which device
drivers / features were dropped from various versions of the kernel. Does
such a changelog exist?

I'm specifically trying to narrow down why the PCI devices on a server I
have work with 5.8 and don't work with 5.9+. The server is circa 2014, so I
suppose there's an off chance support for some component got dropped.

Thanks in advance,
Evan

--
Evan Mesterhazy
etm2131@columbia.edu

* Re: Changelog of features / drivers removed from kernel?
@ 2021-02-08  6:52 ` Greg KH
From: Greg KH @ 2021-02-08  6:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Evan T Mesterhazy; +Cc: kernelnewbies

On Sun, Feb 07, 2021 at 05:30:34PM -0500, Evan T Mesterhazy wrote:
> Apologies if this comes off as a lazy question, but after a fair bit of
> searching I've been unable to find a changelog indicating which device
> drivers / features were dropped from various versions of the kernel. Does
> such a changelog exist?

`git log v5.1..v5.2` will show you the whole log, but that's a lot.

> I'm specifically trying to narrow down why the PCI devices on a server I
> have work with 5.8 and don't work with 5.9+. The server is circa 2014, so I
> suppose there's an off chance support for some component got dropped.

I doubt support for such modern hardware has been dropped in kernel
versions like this.  Odds are you just forgot to update a configuration
option.

Try using `git bisect` to track down the offending commit, that will go
much faster.

good luck!

greg k-h

* Re: Changelog of features / drivers removed from kernel?
@ 2021-02-08 14:00   ` Evan T Mesterhazy
From: Evan T Mesterhazy @ 2021-02-08 14:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Greg KH; +Cc: kernelnewbies

Thanks, Greg - good suggestion regarding `git bisect`. I was able to narrow
it down to a change between 5.8 and 5.9, so maybe that's the next logical
thing to do. None of the config options added between those releases seemed
relevant to the issue, but perhaps one of them is and I just don't realize
it.

- Evan

--

@ 2021-02-09  9:03     ` Valdis Klētnieks
From: Valdis Klētnieks @ 2021-02-09  9:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Evan T Mesterhazy; +Cc: Greg KH, kernelnewbies

On Mon, 08 Feb 2021 09:00:27 -0500, Evan T Mesterhazy said:

> Thanks, Greg - good suggestion regarding `git bisect`. I was able to narrow
> it down to a change between 5.8 and 5.9, so maybe that's the next logical
> thing to do. None of the config options added between those releases seemed
> relevant to the issue, but perhaps one of them is and I just don't realize
> it.

You're probably looking for a config option that was *removed* between
those releases.

[-- Attachment #1.2: Type: application/pgp-signature, Size: 832 bytes --]

* Re: Changelog of features / drivers removed from kernel?
@ 2021-02-09 14:44       ` Evan T Mesterhazy
From: Evan T Mesterhazy @ 2021-02-09 14:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Valdis Klētnieks; +Cc: Greg KH, kernelnewbies

It turns out, after building 14 different commits between v5.8 and v5.9,
that a three line change in drivers/pci/controller/pci-xgene.c breaks PCI
on this machine. If I revert this file and build the commit that changed
it, PCI works properly. No config options changed between these commits.

I suppose now it's just a matter of figuring out why this change breaks it,
and how it can be fixed and applied to 5.9+.

--

@ 2021-02-09 14:45         ` Greg KH
From: Greg KH @ 2021-02-09 14:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Evan T Mesterhazy; +Cc: Valdis Klētnieks, kernelnewbies

On Tue, Feb 09, 2021 at 09:44:03AM -0500, Evan T Mesterhazy wrote:
> It turns out, after building 14 different commits between v5.8 and v5.9,
> that a three line change in drivers/pci/controller/pci-xgene.c breaks PCI
> on this machine. If I revert this file and build the commit that changed
> it, PCI works properly. No config options changed between these commits.
>
> I suppose now it's just a matter of figuring out why this change breaks it,
> and how it can be fixed and applied to 5.9+.

Please let the upstream developers of that change, and the mailing list
associated with it, know about this regression so they can help you out
in resolving it.

thanks,

greg k-h