kernelnewbies.kernelnewbies.org archive mirror
* Predicting Process crash / Memory utlization using machine learning
@ 2019-10-09  8:23 prathamesh naik
From: prathamesh naik @ 2019-10-09  8:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

Hi all,
            I want to work on project which can predict kernel process
crash or even user space process crash (or memory usage spikes) using
machine learning algorithms. Can someone point me what all data can be
useful for tuning my algorithm ? is there already paper on this (could not
find much articles on this) ?

Thanks,
Prathamesh

* Re: Predicting Process crash / Memory utlization using machine learning
@ 2019-10-09 21:28 ` Valdis Klētnieks
From: Valdis Klētnieks @ 2019-10-09 21:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: prathamesh naik; +Cc: kernelnewbies

On Wed, 09 Oct 2019 01:23:28 -0700, prathamesh naik said:
>             I want to work on project which can predict kernel process
> crash or even user space process crash (or memory usage spikes) using
> machine learning algorithms.

This sounds like it's isomorphic to the Turing Halting Problem, and there's
plenty of other good reasons to think that predicting a process crash is, in
general, somewhere between "very difficult" and "impossible".

Even "memory usage spikes" are going to be a challenge.

Consider a program that's doing an in-memory sort. Your machine has 16 gig of
memory, and 2 gig of swap.  It's known that the sort algorithm requires 1.5G of
memory for each gigabyte of input data.

Does the system start to thrash, or crash entirely, or does the sort complete
without issues?  There's no way to make a prediction without knowing the size
of the input data.  And if you're dealing with something like

grep <regexp> file | predictable-memory-sort

where 'file' is a logfile *much* bigger than memory....

You can see where this is heading...

Bottom line:  I'm pretty convinced that in the general case, you can't do much
better than current monitoring systems already do: Look at free space, look at
the free space trendline for the past 5 minutes or whatever, and issue an alert
if the current trend indicates exhaustion in under 15 minutes.

Now, what *might* be interesting is seeing if machine learning across multiple
events is able to suggest better values than 5 and 15 minutes, to provide a
best tradeoff between issuing an alert early enough that a sysadmin can take
action, and avoiding issuing early alerts that turn out to be false alarms.

The problem there is that getting enough data on actual production systems
will be difficult, because sysadmins usually don't leave sub-optimal configuration
settings in place so you can gather data.

And data gathered for machine learning on an intentionally misconfigured test
system won't be applicable to other machines.

Good luck, this problem is a lot harder than it looks....

[-- Attachment #1.2: Type: application/pgp-signature, Size: 832 bytes --]

* Re: Predicting Process crash / Memory utlization using machine learning
@ 2019-10-09 23:40   ` prathamesh naik
From: prathamesh naik @ 2019-10-09 23:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Valdis Klētnieks; +Cc: kernelnewbies

Thanks a lot for sharing.
One of the problem I am facing is not having enough actual data. I can
create simulated data but it is overfitting my algorithm.
Second problem is I am not sure what all factors (called features in ML
terms) are useful for pattern creation.
Some of the factors I could think of were :
1. Memory used
2. CPU
3. shared memory
4. vmstat
5. message queue sizes

Regards,
Prathamesh

@ 2019-10-10  7:17     ` Greg KH
From: Greg KH @ 2019-10-10  7:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: prathamesh naik; +Cc: Valdis Klētnieks, kernelnewbies

On Wed, Oct 09, 2019 at 04:40:45PM -0700, prathamesh naik wrote:
> Thanks a lot for sharing.
> One of the problem I am facing is not having enough actual data. I can
> create simulated data but it is overfitting my algorithm.
> Second problem is I am not sure what all factors (called features in ML
> terms) are useful for pattern creation.
> Some of the factors I could think of were :
> 1. Memory used
> 2. CPU
> 3. shared memory
> 4. vmstat
> 5. message queue sizes

There are loads and loads of things you can monitor in a system.  See
any of the talks by Brendan Gregg http://www.brendangregg.com/ for lots
of examples.

good luck!

greg k-h

* Re: Predicting Process crash / Memory utlization using machine learning
@ 2019-10-10  8:23 ` Ruben Safir
From: Ruben Safir @ 2019-10-10  8:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

On 10/9/19 4:23 AM, prathamesh naik wrote:
> Hi all,
>             I want to work on project which can predict kernel process
> crash or even user space process crash (or memory usage spikes) using
> machine learning algorithms. Can someone point me what all data can be
> useful for tuning my algorithm ? is there already paper on this (could not
> find much articles on this) ?
>
> Thanks,
> Prathamesh

is there an echo here?