linux-arm-msm.vger.kernel.org archive mirror
From: Prashant Malani <pmalani@chromium.org>
To: Doug Anderson <dianders@chromium.org>
Cc: Bjorn Andersson <bjorn.andersson@linaro.org>,
	Laurent Pinchart <laurent.pinchart@ideasonboard.com>,
	Rob Clark <robdclark@gmail.com>, Sean Paul <sean@poorly.run>,
	David Airlie <airlied@linux.ie>, Daniel Vetter <daniel@ffwll.ch>,
	linux-arm-msm <linux-arm-msm@vger.kernel.org>,
	LKML <linux-kernel@vger.kernel.org>,
	Abhinav Kumar <abhinavk@codeaurora.org>,
	Stephen Boyd <swboyd@chromium.org>,
	Kuogee Hsieh <khsieh@codeaurora.org>,
	dri-devel <dri-devel@lists.freedesktop.org>,
	Vara Reddy <varar@codeaurora.org>,
	freedreno <freedreno@lists.freedesktop.org>,
	Enric Balletbo i Serra <enric.balletbo@collabora.com>,
	Benson Leung <bleung@chromium.org>,
	Heikki Krogerus <heikki.krogerus@linux.intel.com>
Subject: Re: [RFC] drm/msm/dp: Allow attaching a drm_panel
Date: Wed, 6 Oct 2021 13:26:35 -0700	[thread overview]

(CC+ Heikki)

Hi,

On Wed, Oct 6, 2021 at 8:19 AM Doug Anderson <dianders@chromium.org> wrote:

> [...]
> In that code it passes NULL for the mux_desc and I'm nearly certain
> that it just handles one "mux" per connector despite the fact that it
> handles lots of different types of alternate modes. That doesn't mean
> that the cros_ec implementation is correct / finalized, but it's a
> reference point.
>

> > And in the DisplayPort node I provide svid = /bits/ 16 <0xff01>;
> >
> > So I will be able to reference multiple different altmode
> > implementors using this scheme.
>
> OK, so I'm trying to grok this more. Let's see.
>
> I'm looking at ucsi_glink_probe() and looking at the matching dts in
> your WIP tree [1] in "sc8180x-lenovo-flex-5g.dts" OK, so:
>
> 1. It's looping once per _connector_ by looping with
> `device_for_each_child_node(dev, fwnode)`.
>
> 2. For each connector, it has exactly one `alt_port` structure.
>
> 3. For each `alt_port` structure it has exactly one `mux`.
>
> ...so currently with your WIP tree there is one "mux" per type C connector.
>

> Perhaps what you're saying, though, is that the UCSI code in your WIP
> tree can/should be changed to support more than one mux per port. Then
> I guess it would have logic figuring out what muxes to notify about
> which things? ...and I guess that would mean that it's currently a bug
> that the ucsi_altmode_enable_usb() notifies "the DP type C mux" about
> USB changes?
>

> > > I _think_ a mux is supposed to be something more like
> > > `drivers/phy/rockchip/phy-rockchip-typec.c` (though that code predates
> > > the type C framework we're looking at here). There the phy can do all
> > > the work of remuxing things / flipping orientation / etc. I don't
> > > think it's a requirement that every SoC be able to do this remuxing
> > > itself but (if memory serves) rk3399 implemented it so we didn't have
> > > to do it on the TCPC and could use a cheaper solution there.
> > >

> > I'm afraid I don't see how this interacts with a display controller.
>
> This was actually kinda my point. ;-) Specifically I think
> `phy-rockchip-typec.c` is the thing that's supposed to be a "mux". I
> think your display controller isn't a mux. Yeah, it's handy that muxes
> get told about DP HPD status, but that doesn't mean it's the right
> abstraction for you to implement. In my mental model, it's the same as
> implementing your "i2c" controller with a "pinctrl" driver. :-P
>

> > It
> > seems more like it's the phy side of things, what we have split between
> > the Type-C controller and the QMP phy to set the pins in the right
> > state.
> >
> > > In any case, my point is that I think there is supposed to be a
> > > _single_ mux per port that handles reassigning pins and that's what
> > > this API is for.
> > >

> > If that's the case things such as typec_mux_match() is just completely
> > backwards.
>
> Yeah, I have no explanation for typec_mux_match(). Let me see if I can
> lure some type C folks into this discussion.

This aligns with the model I have in my mind (not that that is
necessarily the right one).
I took that matching code to be meant to handle cases where the
firmware doesn't explicitly
define a "mode-switch" for the port (and so we look at the SVIDs
listed in the Mux fwnode descriptor).

The matcher code does suggest there could be a mux for each alternate
mode. But then, how does the
bus code know which mux to set [2] ? In that code, the struct altmode
has a pointer to the struct typec_mux, but I
don't see where that pointer is assigned. I assumed that it was set to
whatever the mux node of the
Type C port was whenever the port driver registered its altmodes for
each port, but I can't substantiate
that assumption in code.

Heikki, do you have any guidance regarding what the expected usage is
here? One typec_mux struct per type C port? Or
1 typec_mux per altmode per port?

[2]: https://elixir.bootlin.com/linux/v5.15-rc4/source/drivers/usb/typec/bus.c#L27