linux-arm-msm.vger.kernel.org archive mirror
* Regression: arm64: dts: sdm845-db845c: make firmware filenames follow linux-firmware
@ 2021-05-05  6:20 John Stultz
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: John Stultz @ 2021-05-05  6:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bjorn Andersson, Dmitry Baryshkov
  Cc: Vinod Koul, Srini Kandagatla, Amit Pundir, YongQin Liu, linux-arm-msm

Hey Dmitry, Bjorn,
  I wanted to raise a regression I caught in the merge window on db845c.

I was seeing troubles with audio and while there are a few other
pending fixes needed, they did not seem to work for me. So I spent
some time bisecting things down and found the problematic commit was
7443ff06da45 ("arm64: dts: sdm845-db845c: make firmware filenames
follow linux-firmware").

It seems for systems using the old firmware filenames, this will break
dependent devices on adsp_pas and cdsp_pas nodes.

Now, obviously updating the firmware files in userland should resolve
this, but it adds the complexity that we can't just replace the
firmware files because older LTS kernels will look for the old names,
while newer kernels will look for the new names. We can add both files
to the system images, but then there is some confusion on which
version of the firmware files are being used where.

So yes, we should align with linux-firmware file names, but I think
more care is needed for this sort of thing as it has the potential to
break folks, and this isn't the first time around we've had similar
firmware name changes break us.

So I'm working on fixing this by including both filenames in userland,
so we probably don't need a revert here, but *please* maybe take more
care on this sort of change.

thanks
-john