linux-audit.redhat.com archive mirror
* No more report of quantity of rules successfully loaded
@ 2023-05-23 23:12 warron.french
From: warron.french @ 2023-05-23 23:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Linux Audit

Hi, I am running auditd-3.0.7-4 on an Alma Linux v8.8.

I know that for all of RHEL 6 and RHEL 7 variants that I worked with, to
include CentOS (not Stream) that after I rebooted a server or restarted the
auditd service (with -e 1 set) that I would 100% of the time get a report
in /var/log/messages about the quantity of rules that successfully loaded.

I could compare that to my unified rules file
(/etc/audit/rules.d/Unified.rules - for a reference) and strip out the
typical for auditd Control rules (-D, -e 1, -f 1, -b, -r, for examples) and
then assess if I had the full set of files loaded or not.

With this implementation of auditd, on version 3.0.7-4, I am not getting
those results anymore.
Am I looking in the wrong place, because for me this is important
information?

Yes, I know that I can also manually execute "auditctl -l  | wc -l" and get
that information  too, but I was wondering if this is planned or if I am
looking in the wrong place, or what to do.

* Re: No more report of quantity of rules successfully loaded
@ 2023-05-24 14:42 ` Steve Grubb
From: Steve Grubb @ 2023-05-24 14:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Linux Audit

Hello Warron,

On Tuesday, May 23, 2023 7:12:07 PM EDT warron.french wrote:
> Hi, I am running auditd-3.0.7-4 on an Alma Linux v8.8.
>
> I know that for all of RHEL 6 and RHEL 7 variants that I worked with, to
> include CentOS (not Stream) that after I rebooted a server or restarted the
> auditd service (with -e 1 set) that I would 100% of the time get a report
> in /var/log/messages about the quantity of rules that successfully loaded.

It has never done that unless someone else has a patch they did not send
upstream.

> I could compare that to my unified rules file
> (/etc/audit/rules.d/Unified.rules - for a reference) and strip out the
> typical for auditd Control rules (-D, -e 1, -f 1, -b, -r, for examples) and
> then assess if I had the full set of files loaded or not.
>
> With this implementation of auditd, on version 3.0.7-4, I am not getting
> those results anymore.
> Am I looking in the wrong place, because for me this is important
> information?

It has never done that. auditctl -D gives the output of auditctl -s as a
convenience. But auditctl -s has never reported how many rules are loaded. I
don't think the kernel has a counter. It has a variable for if any rules are
loaded, but not the quantity.

> Yes, I know that I can also manually execute "auditctl -l  | wc -l" and get
> that information  too, but I was wondering if this is planned or if I am
> looking in the wrong place, or what to do.

It has never done that and is not planned.

-Steve

* Re: No more report of quantity of rules successfully loaded
@ 2023-05-24 20:01   ` Richard Guy Briggs
From: Richard Guy Briggs @ 2023-05-24 20:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Steve Grubb; +Cc: Linux Audit

On 2023-05-24 10:42, Steve Grubb wrote:
> Hello Warron,
>
> On Tuesday, May 23, 2023 7:12:07 PM EDT warron.french wrote:
> > Hi, I am running auditd-3.0.7-4 on an Alma Linux v8.8.
> >
> > I know that for all of RHEL 6 and RHEL 7 variants that I worked with, to
> > include CentOS (not Stream) that after I rebooted a server or restarted the
> > auditd service (with -e 1 set) that I would 100% of the time get a report
> > in /var/log/messages about the quantity of rules that successfully loaded.
>
> It has never done that unless someone else has a patch they did not send
> upstream.
>
> > I could compare that to my unified rules file
> > (/etc/audit/rules.d/Unified.rules - for a reference) and strip out the
> > typical for auditd Control rules (-D, -e 1, -f 1, -b, -r, for examples) and
> > then assess if I had the full set of files loaded or not.
> >
> > With this implementation of auditd, on version 3.0.7-4, I am not getting
> > those results anymore.
> > Am I looking in the wrong place, because for me this is important
> > information?
>
> It has never done that. auditctl -D gives the output of auditctl -s as a
> convenience. But auditctl -s has never reported how many rules are loaded. I
> don't think the kernel has a counter. It has a variable for if any rules are
> loaded, but not the quantity.

Minor correction: there is a kernel variable (audit_n_rules) that counts
the number of syscall rules in place, but it isn't reported directly
outside the kernel.  This feeds the boolean (struct
audit_context)->dummy.

> > Yes, I know that I can also manually execute "auditctl -l  | wc -l" and get
> > that information  too, but I was wondering if this is planned or if I am
> > looking in the wrong place, or what to do.
>
> It has never done that and is not planned.
>
> -Steve

- RGB

--
Richard Guy Briggs <rgb@redhat.com>
Sr. S/W Engineer, Kernel Security, Base Operating Systems

* Re: No more report of quantity of rules successfully loaded
@ 2023-05-26  0:41     ` warron.french
From: warron.french @ 2023-05-26  0:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Richard Guy Briggs; +Cc: Linux Audit