linux-block.vger.kernel.org archive mirror
* Re: A kernel warning when entering suspend
       [not found]         ` <20190404222955.GA25081@localhost.localdomain>
@ 2019-04-04 22:50           ` Ming Lei
From: Ming Lei @ 2019-04-04 22:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Keith Busch
  Cc: Thomas Gleixner, Dongli Zhang, fin4478 fin4478, keith.busch,
	axboe, linux-nvme, linux-kernel, linux-block

On Thu, Apr 04, 2019 at 04:29:56PM -0600, Keith Busch wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 05, 2019 at 06:19:50AM +0800, Ming Lei wrote:
> > Also in current blk-mq implementation, one irq may become shutdown
> > because of CPU hotplug even though when there is in-flight request
> > on the queue served by the irq. Then we depend on timeout handler to
> > cover this case, and this irq may be enabled in the timeout handler too,
> > please see nvme_poll_irqdisable().
>
> Right, but when the last CPU mapped to an hctx is taken offline, we really
> ought to have blk-mq wait for that hctx to reap all outstanding requests
> before letting the notifier continue with offlining that CPU. We just
> don't have the infrastructure to freeze an individual hctx yet.

Looks this issue isn't unique for storage device, anyone knows how other
device drivers deal with this situation? For example, one network packet is
submitted to NIC controller and not got completed, then the interrupt
may become down because of CPU hotplug.

Thanks,
Ming

* Re: A kernel warning when entering suspend
@ 2019-04-05 11:35             ` Thomas Gleixner
From: Thomas Gleixner @ 2019-04-05 11:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ming Lei
  Cc: Keith Busch, Dongli Zhang, fin4478 fin4478, keith.busch, axboe,

On Fri, 5 Apr 2019, Ming Lei wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 04, 2019 at 04:29:56PM -0600, Keith Busch wrote:
> > On Fri, Apr 05, 2019 at 06:19:50AM +0800, Ming Lei wrote:
> > > Also in current blk-mq implementation, one irq may become shutdown
> > > because of CPU hotplug even though when there is in-flight request
> > > on the queue served by the irq. Then we depend on timeout handler to
> > > cover this case, and this irq may be enabled in the timeout handler too,
> > > please see nvme_poll_irqdisable().
> >
> > Right, but when the last CPU mapped to an hctx is taken offline, we really
> > ought to have blk-mq wait for that hctx to reap all outstanding requests
> > before letting the notifier continue with offlining that CPU. We just
> > don't have the infrastructure to freeze an individual hctx yet.
>
> Looks this issue isn't unique for storage device, anyone knows how other
> device drivers deal with this situation? For example, one network packet is
> submitted to NIC controller and not got completed, then the interrupt
> may become down because of CPU hotplug.

If the interrupt is managed yes.

That was the constraint of managed interrupts from the very beginning:

  The driver/subsystem has to quiesce the interrupt line and the associated
  queue _before_ it gets shutdown in CPU unplug and not fiddle with it
  until it's restarted by the core when the CPU is plugged in again.

Thanks,

	tglx