linux-bluetooth.vger.kernel.org archive mirror
* Improving error messages in BlueZ
@ 2018-11-08 13:27 Robbert Hofman
From: Robbert Hofman @ 2018-11-08 13:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-bluetooth

Hi,

I am not familiar with the way pull requests work on git.kernel.org,
so I'm trying to make my proposal via email. Excuse me if I'm doing
something wrong here.

I wanted to improve the error messages that gatttool prints, a.o. when
not specifying a value to write to a certain characteristic. See
https://github.com/pauloborges/bluez/pull/8/commits/745e8308bacb0e60e39237c821b08960cf0aba55
where I made a commit that would do so.

When following the tutorial on how to make a pull request
(https://www.kernel.org/doc/html/v4.17/maintainer/pull-requests.html),
upon trying to push my commit to a new branch, I got an "access
denied" error message from git. So I guess not everyone can just make
a pull request? Can I get any help on how to make this work?

Kind regards,
Robbert

* Re: Improving error messages in BlueZ
@ 2018-11-08 14:45 ` Luiz Augusto von Dentz
From: Luiz Augusto von Dentz @ 2018-11-08 14:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: hofman.robbert; +Cc: linux-bluetooth

Hi Robbert,
On Thu, Nov 8, 2018 at 3:34 PM Robbert Hofman <hofman.robbert@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am not familiar with the way pull requests work on git.kernel.org,
> so I'm trying to make my proposal via email. Excuse me if I'm doing
> something wrong here.

Did you check the HACKING documentation:

https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/bluetooth/bluez.git/tree/HACKING#n95

> I wanted to improve the error messages that gatttool prints, a.o. when
> not specifying a value to write to a certain characteristic. See
> https://github.com/pauloborges/bluez/pull/8/commits/745e8308bacb0e60e39237c821b08960cf0aba55
> where I made a commit that would do so.

gatttool is a deprecated tool, you should be able to do the same using
bluetoothctl nowadays.

--
Luiz Augusto von Dentz