* Status of BTRFS
@ 2010-07-16 11:55 Edward Ned Harvey
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Edward Ned Harvey @ 2010-07-16 11:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-btrfs

Is this a good place to get a clue about the status of BTRFS?=A0 Like .=
=2E.=A0 Is
it usable yet, and stuff like that?

Thank you...

in

* Re: Status of BTRFS
@ 2010-07-16 12:13 ` Sebastian 'gonX' Jensen
From: Sebastian 'gonX' Jensen @ 2010-07-16 12:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Edward Ned Harvey; +Cc: linux-btrfs

On 16 July 2010 13:55, Edward Ned Harvey <kernel@nedharvey.com> wrote:
> Is this a good place to get a clue about the status of BTRFS?=C2=A0 L=
ike ...=C2=A0 Is
> it usable yet, and stuff like that?
>
> Thank you...

" in
> More majordomo info at =C2=A0http://vger.kernel.org/majordomo-info.ht=
ml

It has been in a good state for quite a while. There seems to be quite
a lot of people who use it on enterprise-grade hardware and servers
that require high reliability.
in

* RE: Status of BTRFS
@ 2010-07-16 12:14   ` Edward Ned Harvey
From: Edward Ned Harvey @ 2010-07-16 12:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Sebastian 'gonX' Jensen'; +Cc: linux-btrfs

> From: Sebastian 'gonX' Jensen [mailto:gonx@overclocked.net]
>
> On 16 July 2010 13:55, Edward Ned Harvey <kernel@nedharvey.com> wrote:
> > Is this a good place to get a clue about the status of BTRFS?  Like
> ...  Is
> > it usable yet, and stuff like that?
> >

> It has been in a good state for quite a while. There seems to be quite
> a lot of people who use it on enterprise-grade hardware and servers
> that require high reliability.

Is it included in any distributions yet?  Do you just need to build the latest kernel or something like that?  Download the source code, and follow what it says in the INSTALL file?

* Re: Status of BTRFS
@ 2010-07-16 12:16     ` Tomasz Torcz
From: Tomasz Torcz @ 2010-07-16 12:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-btrfs

On Fri, Jul 16, 2010 at 08:14:49AM -0400, Edward Ned Harvey wrote:
> > From: Sebastian 'gonX' Jensen [mailto:gonx@overclocked.net]
> >
> > On 16 July 2010 13:55, Edward Ned Harvey <kernel@nedharvey.com> wrote:
> > > Is this a good place to get a clue about the status of BTRFS?  Like
> > ...  Is
> > > it usable yet, and stuff like that?
> > >

> > It has been in a good state for quite a while. There seems to be quite
> > a lot of people who use it on enterprise-grade hardware and servers
> > that require high reliability.
>
> Is it included in any distributions yet?  Do you just need to build the latest kernel or something like that?  Download the source code, and follow what it says in the INSTALL file?

  Of course it is. Fedora installer allows btrfs since for few releases now.

--
Tomasz Torcz                Only gods can safely risk perfection,
xmpp: zdzichubg@chrome.pl     it's a dangerous thing for a man.  -- Alia

* Re: Status of BTRFS
@ 2010-07-16 12:22       ` Sebastian 'gonX' Jensen
From: Sebastian 'gonX' Jensen @ 2010-07-16 12:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tomasz Torcz, linux-btrfs

On 16 July 2010 14:16, Tomasz Torcz <tomek@pipebreaker.pl> wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 16, 2010 at 08:14:49AM -0400, Edward Ned Harvey wrote:
>> > From: Sebastian 'gonX' Jensen [mailto:gonx@overclocked.net]
>> >
>> > On 16 July 2010 13:55, Edward Ned Harvey <kernel@nedharvey.com> wr=
ote:
>> > ... =C2=A0Is
>> > >

>> > It has been in a good state for quite a while. There seems to be q=
uite
>> > a lot of people who use it on enterprise-grade hardware and server=
>> > that require high reliability.
>>
>> Is it included in any distributions yet? =C2=A0Do you just need to b=
uild the latest kernel or something like that? =C2=A0Download the sourc=
e code, and follow what it says in the INSTALL file?

> =C2=A0Of course it is. Fedora installer allows btrfs since for few re=
leases now.

> --
> Tomasz Torcz =C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0O=
nly gods can safely risk perfection,
> xmpp: zdzichubg@chrome.pl =C2=A0 =C2=A0 it's a dangerous thing for a =
man. =C2=A0-- Alia

" in
> More majordomo info at =C2=A0http://vger.kernel.org/majordomo-info.ht=
ml

Yes, Fedora is one of the releases that has officially supported it
for a while now. Additionally an initrd hook for btrfs has just been
implemented for Arch Linux, so you might see btrfs being an option for
that in the next version of the installer :-)

Regards,
Sebastian J.
in

* Re: Status of BTRFS
@ 2010-07-16 14:46         ` Ken D'Ambrosio
From: Ken D'Ambrosio @ 2010-07-16 14:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sebastian 'gonX' Jensen; +Cc: Tomasz Torcz, linux-btrfs

> Yes, Fedora is one of the releases that has officially supported it
> for a while now. Additionally an initrd hook for btrfs has just
> been implemented for Arch Linux, so you might see btrfs being an
> option for that in the next version of the installer :-)

I also believe that Ubuntu 10.10 is slated to have it; I think it's in the
current alpha, though based on my reading, there are still some rough
edges.  I think Fedora's actually got a rollback feature, using snapshots,
which should be super nice -- hopefully, others come up with similar
features to take advantage of btrfs's features.

-Ken

believed to be clean.

* Re: Status of BTRFS
@ 2010-07-16 15:07 ` Josef Bacik
From: Josef Bacik @ 2010-07-16 15:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Edward Ned Harvey; +Cc: linux-btrfs

On Fri, Jul 16, 2010 at 07:55:26AM -0400, Edward Ned Harvey wrote:
> Is this a good place to get a clue about the status of BTRFS?=A0 Like=
 ...=A0 Is
> it usable yet, and stuff like that?
>=20

Use it if you don't care about the data on your box or do regular backu=
ps.  All
of us developers run it on our workstations without much of an issue th=
ough.
Thanks,

Josef
in

* Re: Status of BTRFS
@ 2010-07-16 15:21 ` Johannes Hirte
From: Johannes Hirte @ 2010-07-16 15:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Edward Ned Harvey; +Cc: linux-btrfs

Am Freitag 16 Juli 2010, 13:55:26 schrieb Edward Ned Harvey:
> Is this a good place to get a clue about the status of BTRFS?  Like ...  Is
> it usable yet, and stuff like that?
>
> Thank you...

I wouldn't suggest to use it in productive environments. Especially as the
error handling is very rudimentarily for now. If you run into errors, you
won't be able to repair the filesystem. For productive environments there are
also way to much situations where the whole kernel panics instead only the
affected filesystem. Another construction area is still the ENOSPC handling.

regards,
  Johannes

* Re: Status of BTRFS
@ 2010-07-18  5:11     ` Chris Samuel
From: Chris Samuel @ 2010-07-18  5:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-btrfs

[-- Attachment #1: Type: Text/Plain, Size: 474 bytes --]

On Fri, 16 Jul 2010 10:14:49 pm Edward Ned Harvey wrote:

> Is it included in any distributions yet?

You can use it after installation in Ubuntu 10.04.  In fact
I'm pretty sure it was enabled in the kernel of 9.10 too.

It's not (yet) an option for installation though.

This email may come with a PGP signature as a file. Do not panic.
For more info see: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OpenPGP

* Re: Status of BTRFS
@ 2010-07-18  5:19       ` Aaron Toponce
From: Aaron Toponce @ 2010-07-18  5:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-btrfs

On 07/17/2010 11:11 PM, Chris Samuel wrote:
> On Fri, 16 Jul 2010 10:14:49 pm Edward Ned Harvey wrote:
>> Is it included in any distributions yet?
>
> You can use it after installation in Ubuntu 10.04.  In fact
> I'm pretty sure it was enabled in the kernel of 9.10 too.
>
> It's not (yet) an option for installation though.

It's included as an installation choice with openSUSE 11.3.

--
. O .   O . O   . . O   O . .   . O .
. . O   . O O   O . O   . O O   . . O

* Re: Status of BTRFS
@ 2010-07-19 14:17           ` Sander
From: Sander @ 2010-07-19 14:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ken D'Ambrosio, Edward Ned Harvey
  Cc: Sebastian 'gonX' Jensen, Tomasz Torcz, linux-btrfs

Ken D'Ambrosio wrote (ao):
> > Edward Ned Harvey wrote (ao):
> > > Is it included in any distributions yet?
> >
> > Yes, Fedora is one of the releases that has officially supported it
> > for a while now.
> > been implemented for Arch Linux, so you might see btrfs being an
> > option for that in the next version of the installer :-)
>
> I also believe that Ubuntu 10.10 is slated to have it; I think it's in the
> current alpha, though based on my reading, there are still some rough
> edges.

Btrfs is in Ubuntu 10.10 alpha and that installs and works oke is my
experience.

	Sander

--
Humilis IT Services and Solutions