From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@cox.net>
To: linux-btrfs@vger.kernel.org
Subject: Re: mount hangs after disk crash (RAID-1)
Date: Thu, 22 May 2014 21:06:26 +0000 (UTC)	[thread overview]

Tomasz Chmielewski posted on Thu, 22 May 2014 18:50:25 +0100 as excerpted:

> It *does* mount as ro,degraded, but then, it's not possible to add a
> disk and recover to a functioning RAID-1.
> Also, when I try to remount rw, the mount command hangs as well.
>
> Is there anything else I can try?

It's a long shot, but in addition to Chris's excellent suggestions, try
the skip_balance mount option.  In the outside case that it's just a
resumed balance that's triggering the hang, that should allow the rw
mount to succeed as it kills the balance that would otherwise be
immediately resumed as soon as the filesystem goes writable, possibly
before the mount returns.

Otherwise, I'd go with Chris's suggestion, mount read-only and ensure
your backups are current, then go experimental on it, since there's
nothing further to lose at that point anyway.