linux-can.vger.kernel.org archive mirror
* presume-ack option exact meaning
@ 2022-11-04 10:56 Stéphane Grosjean
From: Stéphane Grosjean @ 2022-11-04 10:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-can

Hello all,

I have searched the net, but I can't find a clear explanation of what the "presume-ack" option available in socket-can is.

Some PEAK-System devices offer an option called "self-ack" which allows the controller sending the frame to also send the ACK itself.

Does this behavior correspond to what the "presume-ack" option should enable?

Thank you all for your help and regards,

-- Stephane

--
PEAK-System Technik GmbH
Sitz der Gesellschaft Darmstadt - HRB 9183

* Re: presume-ack option exact meaning
@ 2022-11-04 11:03 ` Marc Kleine-Budde
From: Marc Kleine-Budde @ 2022-11-04 11:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stéphane Grosjean; +Cc: linux-can

On 04.11.2022 10:56:16, Stéphane Grosjean wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I have searched the net, but I can't find a clear explanation of what
> the "presume-ack" option available in socket-can is.
>
> Some PEAK-System devices offer an option called "self-ack" which
> allows the controller sending the frame to also send the ACK itself.

Does it actually send an ACK to the bus or ignore the missing ACK?

> Does this behavior correspond to what the "presume-ack" option should
> enable?
>
> Thank you all for your help and regards,

In

Nikita Edward Baruzdin writes:

| Most CAN controllers have a support for ignoring ACK absence. Some of
| them refer to this feature as a self test mode (e. g. SJA1000) and some
| include it as a part of a loopback mode (e. g. MCP2510).
|
| Setting the introduced flag via netlink should make CAN controller
| perform a successful transmission, even if there is no acknowledgement
| (dominant ACK bit) received.

Does that answer your question?

Marc

--
Pengutronix e.K.                 | Marc Kleine-Budde           |
Embedded Linux                   | https://www.pengutronix.de  |

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* RE: presume-ack option exact meaning
@ 2022-11-04 13:49 Stéphane Grosjean
From: Stéphane Grosjean @ 2022-11-04 13:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Marc Kleine-Budde; +Cc: linux-can

> Does it actually send an ACK to the bus or ignore the missing ACK?

The controller sends the ACK to the bus.

> | Setting the introduced flag via netlink should make CAN controller

> | perform a successful transmission, even if there is no acknowledgement

> | (dominant ACK bit) received.

> Does that answer your question?

This partially answers my question because in this case, the ACK is still transmitted.

-- Stéphane