($INBOX_DIR/description missing)
* version/tags for fsverity-utils
@ 2019-11-06 15:57 Colin Walters
From: Colin Walters @ 2019-11-06 15:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-fscrypt

Hi, I'm looking at fsverity for Fedora CoreOS (a bit more background in https://github.com/ostreedev/ostree/pull/1959 )
I have a bunch of questions there (feel free to jump in), but just to start here:

I'd like to get fsverity-utils as a Fedora package, but there don't seem to be any git tags on the repo https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/ebiggers/fsverity-utils.git/  - I could make up a datestamped version number, but I think it'd be better if there were upstream tags - it is useful to have releases with human-consumable version numbers for the usual reasons. And RPM/dpkg/etc really care about the version numbers of packages.

Other distributions/some packagers think "release" means tarballs, so someone may want to consider that too, personally
I use https://github.com/cgwalters/git-evtag for making git tags since I think it helps replace tarballs.

* Re: version/tags for fsverity-utils
@ 2019-11-06 18:43 ` Eric Biggers
From: Eric Biggers @ 2019-11-06 18:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Colin Walters; +Cc: linux-fscrypt

On Wed, Nov 06, 2019 at 10:57:08AM -0500, Colin Walters wrote:
> Hi, I'm looking at fsverity for Fedora CoreOS (a bit more background in https://github.com/ostreedev/ostree/pull/1959 )
> I have a bunch of questions there (feel free to jump in), but just to start here:
>
> I'd like to get fsverity-utils as a Fedora package, but there don't seem to be any git tags on the repo https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/ebiggers/fsverity-utils.git/  - I could make up a datestamped version number, but I think it'd be better if there were upstream tags - it is useful to have releases with human-consumable version numbers for the usual reasons. And RPM/dpkg/etc really care about the version numbers of packages.
>
> Other distributions/some packagers think "release" means tarballs, so someone may want to consider that too, personally
> I use https://github.com/cgwalters/git-evtag for making git tags since I think it helps replace tarballs.

Yes, I think it's time for a formal release of fsverity-utils now that fs-verity
is in the upstream kernel.  I've tagged v1.0 and uploaded the tarball to here:
https://kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/people/ebiggers/fsverity-utils/v1.0/

- Eric