linux-iio.vger.kernel.org archive mirror
From: Alexandru Ardelean <ardeleanalex@gmail.com>
To: Jonathan Cameron <jic23@kernel.org>
Cc: Greg KH <gregkh@linuxfoundation.org>,
	linux-iio@vger.kernel.org,
	Alexandru Ardelean <alexandru.ardelean@analog.com>
Subject: Re: [PULL v2] First set of iio new device support etc for the 5.5 cycle
Date: Sat, 12 Oct 2019 21:41:45 +0300	[thread overview]

On Sat, Oct 12, 2019 at 7:18 PM Jonathan Cameron <jic23@kernel.org> wrote:

> On Sat, 12 Oct 2019 17:28:41 +0200
> Greg KH <gregkh@linuxfoundation.org> wrote:

> > > Better, but I see this now:
> > >
> > > drivers/iio/imu/adis.c: In function ‘__adis_check_status’:
> > > drivers/iio/imu/adis.c:295:9: warning: ‘status’ may be used uninitialized in this function [-Wmaybe-uninitialized]
> > >   295 |  status &= adis->data->status_error_mask;
> > >       |         ^~
> > >

> > > I'll take this, can you just send a follow-on patch for this?
> >
> > Also I see:
> >
> > drivers/iio/imu/adis16480.c: In function ‘adis16480_enable_irq’:
> > drivers/iio/imu/adis16480.c:950:6: warning: ‘val’ may be used uninitialized in this function [-Wmaybe-uninitialized]
> >   950 |  val &= ~ADIS16480_DRDY_EN_MSK;
> >       |      ^~
> >   CC [M]  drivers/iio/magnetometer/hmc5843_i2c.o
> > drivers/iio/imu/adis16480.c: In function ‘adis16480_write_raw’:
> > drivers/iio/imu/adis16480.c:571:7: warning: ‘val’ may be used uninitialized in this function [-Wmaybe-uninitialized]
> >   571 |   val &= ~enable_mask;
> >       |       ^~
> > drivers/iio/imu/adis16480.c:557:11: note: ‘val’ was declared here
> >   557 |  uint16_t val;
> >       |           ^~~
> >

> > So did you really fix anything here?
> >
> > I'll drop this pull again.
> >
> > What version of gcc are you using?  Might I suggest a newer one (i.e. a
> > modern one?)
>
> Ah. This is my mistake.  I did see all of these, but still thought we were
> in the category of tidying up some compiler version caused issues.
>
> The adis16400 came up in my local tests, so I previously pinged Alex on
> basis it was something to do in a follow up. The other two showed up, but
> again I still thought these were compiler version issues, particularly
> as 0-day didn't highlight them (there were several other issues it
> did highlight this week). Hence again I requested a follow up to tidy
> it up.
>
> Anyhow, did some digging.  The issue here was a 'fix' I put in to an initial
> 0-day issue in the inline functions that Alex added.  Note that one
> appears to be compiler version dependent as it didn't turn up in my
> local builds. There are now inline functions that check if (ret)
> and don't set the value if ret is non 0.
>
> Out in the drivers, the check is the more specific (unnecessarily)
> if (ret < 0) and hence the compiler is concluded that there might be a path to
> val not being set.  Previously it was giving up figuring this out.
> So reality is they are a false positive (sort of as in reality ret
> is never positive) but the compiler has made a reasonable point
> that it can't see that.
>
> Never mind, I'll do a new pull request once fixes are in place.
> Given there are two obvious ways of suppressing this and it's Alex's
> driver I'll wait until he has time to take a look.
>
> Sorry for wasting your time.

If it helps, let's drop the ADIS patches for this round, and I can
take a closer look as well.
The cleanup does seem to have revealed a few gaps in our CI in
relation to upstreaming things.

We use Travis-CI for our stuff and stuff is public:
https://travis-ci.org/analogdevicesinc/linux

So, if anyone sees anything we should do better, I'm open to
improvements/suggestions.
I am in the process of adding sparse-builds, maybe some build
hardening is next (stronger compile/build flags), adding our patches
on top of a newer kernel (that's partially done).
That should help us catch things a bit earlier.

Sorry for the noise from my side as-well.
Alex