linux-iio.vger.kernel.org archive mirror
* RFC: Present Screen rotation as counter
@ 2020-04-08  7:22 Gwendal Grignou
From: Gwendal Grignou @ 2020-04-08  7:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: vilhelm.gray, Jonathan Cameron
  Cc: linux-iio, Enric Balletbo i Serra, Benson Leung

Today, on chromebook, to detect screen orientation (portrait,
landscape, inverted portrait, inverted landscape), chrome is polling
lid accelerometer data and calculating the orientation.
To save power, I want the embedded controller (EC) to forward an event
when the lid acceleration detects an orientation change.
To convey that information, I would like to define a rotary encoder
with 4 regions, the counter increases when the screen is rotated
clockwise, (decreases when rotated counter-clockwise) and would
increment by 4 on a full rotation.
The EC knows the accelerometer placement relative to the screen, so we
can define landscape as count % 4 equals to 0.
Would such a counter fit into the counter subsystem?

Regards,
Gwendal.