linux-integrity.vger.kernel.org archive mirror
* device tree "compatible" string value for Nuvoton TPM 75xxx
@ 2019-01-18 15:34 Nayna
From: Nayna @ 2019-01-18 15:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dan.morav; +Cc: linux-integrity, gcwilson

Hi,

Currently, the kernel supports "nuvoton,npct601" for Nuvoton TPM 2.

I was wondering what will be the compatible string value for Nuvoton TPM
75xx models.

Thanks & Regards,

      - Nayna

* RE: device tree "compatible" string value for Nuvoton TPM 75xxx
@ 2019-01-20 15:53 ` Dan.Morav
From: Dan.Morav @ 2019-01-20 15:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: nayna, oshri.alkoby, dana.cohen; +Cc: linux-integrity, gcwilson

Hi,

I've added Oshri who has been working on the driver, and Dana who is the TPM applications for follow up.
I'd suggest "npct75x" to continue with the same line.

Regards,
Dan.

Currently, the kernel supports "nuvoton,npct601" for Nuvoton TPM 2.

I was wondering what will be the compatible string value for Nuvoton TPM 75xx models.

Thanks & Regards,

      - Nayna

The privileged confidential information contained in this email is intended for use only by the addressees as indicated by the original sender of this email. If you are not the addressee indicated in this email or are not responsible for delivery of the email to such a person, please kindly reply to the sender indicating this fact and delete all copies of it from your computer and network server immediately. Your cooperation is highly appreciated. It is advised that any unauthorized use of confidential information of Nuvoton is strictly prohibited; and any information in this email irrelevant to the official business of Nuvoton shall be deemed as neither given nor endorsed by Nuvoton.

* Re: device tree "compatible" string value for Nuvoton TPM 75xxx
@ 2019-01-21  2:26   ` Jason Gunthorpe
From: Jason Gunthorpe @ 2019-01-21  2:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dan.Morav; +Cc: nayna, oshri.alkoby, dana.cohen, linux-integrity, gcwilson

On Sun, Jan 20, 2019 at 03:53:46PM +0000, Dan.Morav@nuvoton.com wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've added Oshri who has been working on the driver, and Dana who is the TPM applications for follow up.
> I'd suggest "npct75x" to continue with the same line.

There are rules for the compatible strings.. Generaly they shouldn't
include x's if I recall.

If future chips are compatible with a first release then it should be
something like

'nuvoton,npct751','nuvoton,npct750'

Be sure to check with the device tree people

Jason

* RE: device tree "compatible" string value for Nuvoton TPM 75xxx
@ 2019-01-21 13:51     ` Dan.Morav
From: Dan.Morav @ 2019-01-21 13:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: jgg; +Cc: nayna, oshri.alkoby, dana.cohen, linux-integrity, gcwilson

Jason,

Thank you for the feedback. We will follow.

Regards,
Dan.

@ 2019-01-21 16:55       ` oshri.alkoby
From: oshri.alkoby @ 2019-01-21 16:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dan.Morav, jgg; +Cc: nayna, dana.cohen, linux-integrity, gcwilson

Hi Jason,

Since the driver implements the I2C interface defined by the TCG PTP, wouldn't it be better to set the string to be something like 'tcg,tpm-i2c-ptp' (as 'tcg,tpm-tis-mmio' for tpm-tis)?
Any TPM that implements this protocol can use this driver.

Oshri

@ 2019-01-21 16:58         ` Jason Gunthorpe
From: Jason Gunthorpe @ 2019-01-21 16:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: oshri.alkoby; +Cc: Dan.Morav, nayna, dana.cohen, linux-integrity, gcwilson

On Mon, Jan 21, 2019 at 04:55:23PM +0000, oshri.alkoby@nuvoton.com wrote:
> Hi Jason,
>
> Since the driver implements the I2C interface defined by the TCG
> PTP, wouldn't it be better to set the string to be something like
> 'tcg,tpm-i2c-ptp' (as 'tcg,tpm-tis-mmio' for tpm-tis)?  Any TPM that
> implements this protocol can use this driver.

Yes, probably, we've done that for LPC ..

But the device compatabile string should still be something like:

 'nuvoton,npct751','tcg,tpm-i2c-ptp'

In that case

Jason

* Re: device tree "compatible" string value for Nuvoton TPM 75xxx
@ 2019-01-21 19:16           ` Peter Huewe
From: Peter Huewe @ 2019-01-21 19:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jason Gunthorpe, oshri.alkoby
  Cc: Dan.Morav, nayna, dana.cohen, linux-integrity, gcwilson

Am 21. Januar 2019 17:58:48 MEZ schrieb Jason Gunthorpe <jgg@ziepe.ca>:
>On Mon, Jan 21, 2019 at 04:55:23PM +0000, oshri.alkoby@nuvoton.com
>wrote:
>> Hi Jason,
>>
>> Since the driver implements the I2C interface defined by the TCG
>> PTP, wouldn't it be better to set the string to be something like
>> 'tcg,tpm-i2c-ptp' (as 'tcg,tpm-tis-mmio' for tpm-tis)?
I think this is a good idea.

>> Any TPM that
>> implements this protocol can use this driver.

If it implements the tcg i2c protocol without too many deviations I would propose renaming the driver im the same step.

>Yes, probably, we've done that for LPC ..
>
>But the device compatabile string should still be something like:
>
> 'nuvoton,npct751','tcg,tpm-i2c-ptp'
Since there are no quirks and no existing bindings, I would advise for tcg,tpm-i2c-ptp only.

Peter
--
Sent from my mobile

* Re: device tree "compatible" string value for Nuvoton TPM 75xxx
@ 2019-01-21 19:51             ` Jason Gunthorpe
From: Jason Gunthorpe @ 2019-01-21 19:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Peter Huewe
  Cc: oshri.alkoby, Dan.Morav, nayna, dana.cohen, linux-integrity, gcwilson

On Mon, Jan 21, 2019 at 08:16:04PM +0100, Peter Huewe wrote:
> Am 21. Januar 2019 17:58:48 MEZ schrieb Jason Gunthorpe <jgg@ziepe.ca>:

> >But the device compatabile string should still be something like:
> >
> > 'nuvoton,npct751','tcg,tpm-i2c-ptp'

> Since there are no quirks and no existing bindings, I would advise
> for tcg,tpm-i2c-ptp only.

At least at one point the advise was to always add a very specific
compatible string to the binding - this way if we find a problem with
that chip in the future the driver can match that string.

Jason

* Re: device tree "compatible" string value for Nuvoton TPM 75xxx
@ 2019-01-23 20:22         ` Nayna
From: Nayna @ 2019-01-23 20:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: oshri.alkoby, Dan.Morav, jgg; +Cc: dana.cohen, linux-integrity, gcwilson

On 01/21/2019 11:55 AM, oshri.alkoby@nuvoton.com wrote:
> Hi Jason,
>
> Since the driver implements the I2C interface defined by the TCG PTP, wouldn't it be better to set the string to be something like 'tcg,tpm-i2c-ptp' (as 'tcg,tpm-tis-mmio' for tpm-tis)?
> Any TPM that implements this protocol can use this driver.

It might be nice to have a generic name if it is also compliant with the
device tree specification.
However, I was wondering if it will not require driver code changes as
well before this generic name can be used by any TPM implementing i2c
protocol ?

@ 2019-01-31 21:46           ` Nayna
From: Nayna @ 2019-01-31 21:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: oshri.alkoby, Dan.Morav, jgg; +Cc: dana.cohen, linux-integrity, gcwilson

On 01/23/2019 03:22 PM, Nayna wrote:

> On 01/21/2019 11:55 AM, oshri.alkoby@nuvoton.com wrote:
>> Hi Jason,
>>
>> Since the driver implements the I2C interface defined by the TCG PTP,
>> wouldn't it be better to set the string to be something like
>> 'tcg,tpm-i2c-ptp' (as 'tcg,tpm-tis-mmio' for tpm-tis)?
>> Any TPM that implements this protocol can use this driver.
>
> It might be nice to have a generic name if it is also compliant with
> the device tree specification.
> However, I was wondering if it will not require driver code changes as
> well before this generic name can be used by any TPM implementing i2c
> protocol ?

I am wondering if anything got decided on this ?

@ 2019-02-04 16:39             ` oshri.alkoby
From: oshri.alkoby @ 2019-02-04 16:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: nayna, Dan.Morav, jgg; +Cc: dana.cohen, linux-integrity, gcwilson

From our end we are fine with what Jason suggested, we can add a specific device: