linux-integrity.vger.kernel.org archive mirror
* IMA: Data included in the key measurement
@ 2019-11-21 16:17 Lakshmi Ramasubramanian
From: Lakshmi Ramasubramanian @ 2019-11-21 16:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mimi Zohar, linux-integrity; +Cc: James Morris

Hi Mimi,

 >>> everything needed for verifying a signature is included in
 >>> the key measurement.

Regarding the requirement you had stated above, I would like some
clarification.

When I started this change to measure keys through IMA, the use case we
had in mind was enabling an attestation service, for instance, to verify
if the client has only known good (trusted) keys - for example, in
keyrings such as ".builtin_trusted_keys", ".ima", etc.

On the client IMA verifies the signature of system binaries using keys
in the IMA keyring. And, if the config namely
CONFIG_IMA_KEYRINGS_PERMIT_SIGNED_BY_BUILTIN_OR_SECONDARY is enabled,
only keys signed by a built-in trusted key can be added to the IMA keyring.

An attestation service can keep a list of public keys of "known good
(trusted)" keys for various keyrings, and verify against the measurement
data provided by the client.

To achieve the above we decided to include only the public key in the
key measurement buffer.

I would like to know what benefit we'd get by including "everything
needed for verifying a signature in the key measurement"?

 From testing point of view, if we have the certificate (like the .DER
file), we can validate the key measurement data in the IMA log.

Do you see a need to include more data or the entire cert for the
product code?

thanks,
  -lakshmi