linux-kernel-mentees.lists.linuxfoundation.org archive mirror
* [Linux-kernel-mentees] checkpatch.pl improvement: NO_AUTHOR_SIGN_OFF warnings for users with multiple emails
@ 2020-09-21 12:11 Dwaipayan Ray
From: Dwaipayan Ray @ 2020-09-21 12:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lukas Bulwahn, Joe Perches; +Cc: linux-kernel-mentees

Hi Joe and Lukas and others,
I would like to elaborate a bit on the issue and the solution I
have thought of for fixing Missing Author Signed-off-by
warning for regular committers who use multiple email
addresses.

The problem:
While running checkpatch on previous commits to the kernel,
there were multiple such instances where the author had
signed off using a different email address rather than the one
which he used to mail the patch.

From Lukas's data:

$ grep "NO_AUTHOR_SIGN_OFF" v5.4..v5.8.tsv  | cut -f 7 | sort  | uniq -c |
sort -nr | head -n 8
    175 Missing Signed-off-by: line by nominal patch author 'Daniel
Vetter <daniel.vetter@ffwll.ch>'
     68 Missing Signed-off-by: line by nominal patch author 'Trond
Myklebust <trondmy@gmail.com>'
     43 Missing Signed-off-by: line by nominal patch author 'Thinh
Nguyen <Thinh.Nguyen@synopsys.com>'
     40 Missing Signed-off-by: line by nominal patch author 'Pascal
van Leeuwen <pascalvanl@gmail.com>'
     36 Missing Signed-off-by: line by nominal patch author 'Alex
Maftei <amaftei@solarflare.com>'
     31 Missing Signed-off-by: line by nominal patch author 'Valdis
Kletnieks <valdis.kletnieks@vt.edu>'
     24 Missing Signed-off-by: line by nominal patch author 'Luke
Nelson <lukenels@cs.washington.edu>'

So most of them belong to the case where they have signed off
using a different mail address. I believe these can be handled
better.

Proposed Solution:
The .mailmap file contains mappings of the following types:
  name1 <mail1>
  <mail1> <mail2>
  name1 <mail1> <mail2>
  name1 <mail1> name2 <mail2>

Thus loading .mailmap data and matching email addresses for
the same author would resolve many of these warnings.

Now the remaining problem at hand is to have a data structure
by which this query can be handled easily without much extra
overhead.

One possible solution is while parsing the author, also load mailmap
and load associated email addresses to the author and load it
into a hash. Next when a signed-off-by line is encountered and
the email is found in our hash ( or maybe some other ds ), then
the signed-off-by match should be positive.

Is this feasible? I would be looking at other possibilities too. But it
would be great to have your view on it!

Thanks,
Dwaipayan.

* Re: [Linux-kernel-mentees] checkpatch.pl improvement: NO_AUTHOR_SIGN_OFF warnings for users with multiple emails
@ 2020-09-21 12:24 ` Joe Perches
From: Joe Perches @ 2020-09-21 12:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dwaipayan Ray, Lukas Bulwahn; +Cc: linux-kernel-mentees

On Mon, 2020-09-21 at 17:41 +0530, Dwaipayan Ray wrote:
> One possible solution is while parsing the author, also load mailmap
> and load associated email addresses to the author and load it
> into a hash. Next when a signed-off-by line is encountered and
> the email is found in our hash ( or maybe some other ds ), then
> the signed-off-by match should be positive.
>
> Is this feasible? I would be looking at other possibilities too. But it
> would be great to have your view on it!

Either copy the mailmap handling out of get_maintainer
or strip it from get_maintainer and put it into a
separate perl module/file.

* Re: [Linux-kernel-mentees] checkpatch.pl improvement: NO_AUTHOR_SIGN_OFF warnings for users with multiple emails
@ 2020-09-21 13:23 ` Lukas Bulwahn
From: Lukas Bulwahn @ 2020-09-21 13:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dwaipayan Ray; +Cc: Joe Perches, linux-kernel-mentees

On Mon, 21 Sep 2020, Dwaipayan Ray wrote:

> Hi Joe and Lukas and others,
> I would like to elaborate a bit on the issue and the solution I
> have thought of for fixing Missing Author Signed-off-by
> warning for regular committers who use multiple email
> addresses.
>
> The problem:
> While running checkpatch on previous commits to the kernel,
> there were multiple such instances where the author had
> signed off using a different email address rather than the one
> which he used to mail the patch.
>
> From Lukas's data:
>
> $ grep "NO_AUTHOR_SIGN_OFF" v5.4..v5.8.tsv  | cut -f 7 | sort  | uniq -c |
> sort -nr | head -n 8
>     175 Missing Signed-off-by: line by nominal patch author 'Daniel
> Vetter <daniel.vetter@ffwll.ch>'
>      68 Missing Signed-off-by: line by nominal patch author 'Trond
> Myklebust <trondmy@gmail.com>'
>      43 Missing Signed-off-by: line by nominal patch author 'Thinh
> Nguyen <Thinh.Nguyen@synopsys.com>'
>      40 Missing Signed-off-by: line by nominal patch author 'Pascal
> van Leeuwen <pascalvanl@gmail.com>'
>      36 Missing Signed-off-by: line by nominal patch author 'Alex
> Maftei <amaftei@solarflare.com>'
>      31 Missing Signed-off-by: line by nominal patch author 'Valdis
> Kletnieks <valdis.kletnieks@vt.edu>'
>      24 Missing Signed-off-by: line by nominal patch author 'Luke
> Nelson <lukenels@cs.washington.edu>'
>
> So most of them belong to the case where they have signed off
> using a different mail address. I believe these can be handled
> better.
>
> Proposed Solution:
> The .mailmap file contains mappings of the following types:
>   name1 <mail1>
>   <mail1> <mail2>
>   name1 <mail1> <mail2>
>   name1 <mail1> name2 <mail2>
>
> Thus loading .mailmap data and matching email addresses for
> the same author would resolve many of these warnings.
>
> Now the remaining problem at hand is to have a data structure
> by which this query can be handled easily without much extra
> overhead.
>
> One possible solution is while parsing the author, also load mailmap
> and load associated email addresses to the author and load it
> into a hash. Next when a signed-off-by line is encountered and
> the email is found in our hash ( or maybe some other ds ), then
> the signed-off-by match should be positive.
>
> Is this feasible? I would be looking at other possibilities too. But it
> would be great to have your view on it!

This sounds like a plan.

I expect that this task would roughly take you 40 hours of work to get
a first patch ready to the state for review at lkml.

Please use the linux-kernel-mentees mailing list for early versions of
your work before that.

Then, I expect another 40 hours of work to get all reviewers/maintainers
happy and get it towards final acceptance.

I suggest that for the first mentorship milestone, we also add to have
some basic documentation and some patches directed to the developers
we can already see with special setups, e.g., Daniel Vetter, with suitable
entries in .mailmap for them. They can then ack those .mailmap patches and
integrate them.

Let us aim to have 10 patches for those most regular developers sent out
and at least one being accepted.

Would you agree to that for the first milestone?

If so, please state here and provide all needed information in the
community bridge system. Then, we will proceed in the system, such that
you get an official go and you can start fleshing out these patches.

Lukas

* Re: [Linux-kernel-mentees] checkpatch.pl improvement: NO_AUTHOR_SIGN_OFF warnings for users with multiple emails
@ 2020-09-21 13:27   ` Lukas Bulwahn
From: Lukas Bulwahn @ 2020-09-21 13:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dwaipayan Ray; +Cc: Joe Perches, linux-kernel-mentees

On Mon, 21 Sep 2020, Joe Perches wrote:

> On Mon, 2020-09-21 at 17:41 +0530, Dwaipayan Ray wrote:
> > One possible solution is while parsing the author, also load mailmap
> > and load associated email addresses to the author and load it
> > into a hash. Next when a signed-off-by line is encountered and
> > the email is found in our hash ( or maybe some other ds ), then
> > the signed-off-by match should be positive.
> >
> > Is this feasible? I would be looking at other possibilities too. But it
> > would be great to have your view on it!
>
> Either copy the mailmap handling out of get_maintainer
> or strip it from get_maintainer and put it into a
> separate perl module/file.

Agree. Dwaipayan, I pointed you to read_mailmap here already:

https://lore.kernel.org/linux-kernel-mentees/alpine.DEB.2.21.2009181238230.14717@felia/

Lukas

* Re: [Linux-kernel-mentees] checkpatch.pl improvement: NO_AUTHOR_SIGN_OFF warnings for users with multiple emails
@ 2020-09-21 14:00   ` Dwaipayan Ray
From: Dwaipayan Ray @ 2020-09-21 14:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lukas Bulwahn; +Cc: Joe Perches, linux-kernel-mentees

> This sounds like a plan.
>
> I expect that this task would roughly take you 40 hours of work to get
> a first patch ready to the state for review at lkml.
>
> Please use the linux-kernel-mentees mailing list for early versions of
> your work before that.
>
> Then, I expect another 40 hours of work to get all reviewers/maintainers
> happy and get it towards final acceptance.
>
> I suggest that for the first mentorship milestone, we also add to have
> some basic documentation and some patches directed to the developers
> we can already see with special setups, e.g., Daniel Vetter, with suitable
> entries in .mailmap for them. They can then ack those .mailmap patches and
> integrate them.
>
> Let us aim to have 10 patches for those most regular developers sent out
> and at least one being accepted.
>
> Would you agree to that for the first milestone?
>
> If so, please state here and provide all needed information in the
> community bridge system. Then, we will proceed in the system, such that
> you get an official go and you can start fleshing out these patches.
>

> Lukas

Definitely, I agree with the first milestone.

I will fill up the details on Community bridge and let you know once
done.

Thanks,
Dwaipayan.