linux-leds.vger.kernel.org archive mirror
* Multicolor leds-gpio
@ 2020-08-05 21:56 Luca Weiss
From: Luca Weiss @ 2020-08-05 21:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-leds

Hi,
would it be possible to make the leds-gpio driver compatible with the new
multicolor framework for a light that's composed of 3 leds (red, green, blue)
and where each led is controlled via a gpio (so it can produce 8 different
colors)? As far as I can tell leds-gpio is too generic to support that but
please correct me if I'm wrong. What's the way forward here for this use case?
The same probably also applies to leds-pwm.
Regards
Luca

* Re: Multicolor leds-gpio
@ 2020-08-05 22:05 ` Pavel Machek
From: Pavel Machek @ 2020-08-05 22:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Luca Weiss; +Cc: linux-leds

Hi!

> would it be possible to make the leds-gpio driver compatible with the new
> multicolor framework for a light that's composed of 3 leds (red, green, blue)
> and where each led is controlled via a gpio (so it can produce 8 different
> colors)? As far as I can tell leds-gpio is too generic to support that but
> please correct me if I'm wrong. What's the way forward here for this use case?
> The same probably also applies to leds-pwm.

For pwm it definitely makes sense.

For gpio... well, I'm not sure you'll get useful colors that way. You
can probably still do multicolor, yes.

Best regards,
									Pavel

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: Multicolor leds-gpio
@ 2020-08-06 10:52   ` Alexander Dahl
From: Alexander Dahl @ 2020-08-06 10:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-leds; +Cc: Pavel Machek, Luca Weiss

Hei hei,

Am Donnerstag, 6. August 2020, 00:05:47 CEST schrieb Pavel Machek:
> > would it be possible to make the leds-gpio driver compatible with the new
> > multicolor framework for a light that's composed of 3 leds (red, green,
> > blue) and where each led is controlled via a gpio (so it can produce 8
> > different colors)? As far as I can tell leds-gpio is too generic to
> > support that but please correct me if I'm wrong. What's the way forward
> > here for this use case? The same probably also applies to leds-pwm.
>
> For pwm it definitely makes sense.

I think it also makes sense for plain GPIO, I asked the same thing last year
IIRC.

> For gpio... well, I'm not sure you'll get useful colors that way. You
> can probably still do multicolor, yes.

Let's assume a typical RGB LED, like the one on the SAMA5D27-SOM1-EK board,
you would roughly get those colors:

- R: red
- G: green
- B: blue
- R + G: yellow
- R + B: magenta
- G + B: cyan
- R + G + B: white

I count more than twice the colors as with the simple leds-gpio approach only.
;-)

SCNR
Alex

* Re: Multicolor leds-gpio