linux-lvm.redhat.com archive mirror
* [linux-lvm] Need inputs: Performance issues with LVM snapshots
@ 2022-03-07 11:09 Gaikwad, Hemant
From: Gaikwad, Hemant @ 2022-03-07 11:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-lvm

We have been looking at LVM as an option for long term backup using the LVM snapshots. After looking at the various forums and also looking at a few LVM defects, realized that LVM could be a very good option for short term backup, but might result in performance issues if the snapshots are retained for a long time. Also read we should restrict the number of snapshots. We are thinking of keeping it to 3, but do you think that could also be a performance bottleneck. A few forum posts also suggest memory issues with using LVM snapshots. Can you please help with some data on that too. Thanks in advance for making our decision easier. Thanks

Regards,
Hemant Gaikwad

Internal Use - Confidential

* Re: [linux-lvm] Need inputs: Performance issues with LVM snapshots
@ 2022-03-07 14:44 ` Gionatan Danti
From: Gionatan Danti @ 2022-03-07 14:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: LVM general discussion and development; +Cc: Gaikwad, Hemant

Il 2022-03-07 12:09 Gaikwad, Hemant ha scritto:
> Hi,
>
> We have been looking at LVM as an option for long term backup using
> the LVM snapshots. After looking at the various forums and also
> looking at a few LVM defects, realized that LVM could be a very good
> option for short term backup, but might result in performance issues
> if the snapshots are retained for a long time. Also read we should
> restrict the number of snapshots. We are thinking of keeping it to 3,
> but do you think that could also be a performance bottleneck. A few
> forum posts also suggest memory issues with using LVM snapshots. Can
> you please help with some data on that too. Thanks in advance for
> making our decision easier. Thanks
>
> Regards,

Classical, non-thin LVM snapshots are only meant to be short-lived (just
enough to take a backup), and the performance penalty you talk about
does apply.
Thin LVM snapshots, on the other side, command a much lower performance
penalty and can be long-lived (ie: think about a rolling snapshot
system).
So if you need multiple, long-lived snapshots, I strongly suggest you to
check lvmthin.
Regards.

--
Danti Gionatan
Supporto Tecnico

* Re: [linux-lvm] Need inputs: Performance issues with LVM snapshots
@ 2022-03-07 14:49   ` Demi Marie Obenour
From: Demi Marie Obenour @ 2022-03-07 14:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-lvm