linux-man.vger.kernel.org archive mirror
* open_tree() manpage submission fell through the cracks?
@ 2020-05-04 11:17 Jann Horn
From: Jann Horn @ 2020-05-04 11:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michael Kerrisk-manpages; +Cc: linux-man, pvorel

Hi!

I noticed that open_tree() doesn't have a manpage yet; and while
looking for a WIP manpage on the lists, I found this mail, which is
from February, submits manpages for open_tree() and other related
syscalls, and doesn't seem to have a response from you:

https://lore.kernel.org/linux-fsdevel/20200207174236.18882-1-pvorel@suse.cz/

I wonder whether maybe you haven't seen that mail in the first place.
It was addressed to linux-man@vger.kernel.org as "To" and
mtk.manpages@gmail.com as "Cc", which is the reverse of what's
suggested at <https://www.kernel.org/doc/man-pages/patches.html>...
maybe that runs into some filter on your side? Or maybe it just landed
in a spam filter somewhere or something like that?

* Re: open_tree() manpage submission fell through the cracks?
@ 2020-05-04 12:43 ` Petr Vorel
From: Petr Vorel @ 2020-05-04 12:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jann Horn, Michael Kerrisk-manpages; +Cc: linux-man

Hi Jann,

> I noticed that open_tree() doesn't have a manpage yet; and while
> looking for a WIP manpage on the lists, I found this mail, which is
> from February, submits manpages for open_tree() and other related
> syscalls, and doesn't seem to have a response from you:

> https://lore.kernel.org/linux-fsdevel/20200207174236.18882-1-pvorel@suse.cz/

> I wonder whether maybe you haven't seen that mail in the first place.
> It was addressed to linux-man@vger.kernel.org as "To" and
> mtk.manpages@gmail.com as "Cc", which is the reverse of what's
> suggested at <https://www.kernel.org/doc/man-pages/patches.html>...
> maybe that runs into some filter on your side? Or maybe it just landed
> in a spam filter somewhere or something like that?

Thanks for pointing out this patchset and also preferred way to send patches.

I'd also appreciate these new syscalls were documented, thus
I've pinged Michael some time ago and got his reply:
https://lore.kernel.org/linux-man/9655825c-be5d-3941-60da-ccb8e5e433cb@gmail.com/

He's probably just too busy.

Kind regards,
Petr

* Re: open_tree() manpage submission fell through the cracks?
@ 2020-05-11 15:13 ` Michael Kerrisk (man-pages)
From: Michael Kerrisk (man-pages) @ 2020-05-11 15:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jann Horn; +Cc: linux-man, Petr Vorel

Hi Jann,

On Mon, 4 May 2020 at 13:18, Jann Horn <jannh@google.com> wrote:

> Hi!
>
> I noticed that open_tree() doesn't have a manpage yet; and while
> looking for a WIP manpage on the lists, I found this mail, which is
> from February, submits manpages for open_tree() and other related
> syscalls, and doesn't seem to have a response from you:
>
> https://lore.kernel.org/linux-fsdevel/20200207174236.18882-1-pvorel@suse.cz/
>
> I wonder whether maybe you haven't seen that mail in the first place.
> It was addressed to linux-man@vger.kernel.org as "To" and
> mtk.manpages@gmail.com as "Cc", which is the reverse of what's
> suggested at <https://www.kernel.org/doc/man-pages/patches.html>...
> maybe that runs into some filter on your side? Or maybe it just landed
> in a spam filter somewhere or something like that?

I saw it, but I've been catching up with a lot of other stuff, and
aware that dealing with these pages is likely to be a big block of
work.

It didn't help that the water was already muddy before Petr's mail.
Last year, David Woodhouse sent out seven different mails on the same
day to different lists, with different pages combined differently in
the patches (with most, but not all of the pages appearing twice in
different mails), with no explaining cover letter on the patches. I
asked David about this at the time, and he said he'd resend in a more
orderly fashion after seeing if he would get some feedback from what
he'd sent out. There was a little feedeback, but no response to that
feedback from David, and no follow-up patches :-(.

I've got some more time now, so can probably make some progress on
this. But I think we do need David to be actively involved, because
even after a quick glance at the pages I can see that I'll have a lot
of questions.

Thanks,

Michael

--