linux-mm.kvack.org archive mirror
From: David Hildenbrand <david@redhat.com>
To: Mike Rapoport <rppt@kernel.org>
Cc: Nadav Amit <nadav.amit@gmail.com>,
	Mike Rapoport <rppt@linux.vnet.ibm.com>,
	Andrea Arcangeli <aarcange@redhat.com>,
	Peter Xu <peterx@redhat.com>, Linux-MM <linux-mm@kvack.org>
Subject: Re: userfaultfd: usability issue due to lack of UFFD events ordering
Date: Mon, 31 Jan 2022 15:41:05 +0100	[thread overview]

On 31.01.22 15:28, Mike Rapoport wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 31, 2022 at 03:12:36PM +0100, David Hildenbrand wrote:

>>> The userspace can live with these, at least for uffd missing page faults.
>>> If the monitor will try to resolve a page fault for a removed area, the
>>> errno from UFFDIO_COPY/ZERO can be used to detect such races.
>>
>> I was wondering if the monitor could get confused if he just resolved a
>> page fault via UFFDIO_COPY/ZERO and then receives a REMOVE event.
>
> And why would it be confused?

My thinking was that the monitor might use REMOVE events to track which
pages are actually populated. If you receive REMOVE after
UFFDIO_COPY/ZERO the monitor would conclude that the page is not
populated, just like if we'd get the MADV_DONTNEED/MADV_REMOVE
immediately after placing a page.

Of course, it heavily depends on the target use case in the monitor or I
might just be wrong.

David / dhildenb