Linux-RDMA Archive on lore.kernel.org
* Which print functions to use during early device create?
@ 2020-02-14 22:23 Andrew Boyer
From: Andrew Boyer @ 2020-02-14 22:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-rdma; +Cc: Allen Hubbe, Leon Romanovsky, Doug Ledford, Jason Gunthorpe

When we get a NETDEV_REGISTER event, we get a pointer to the existing struct netdev. If all goes well, we end up creating an associated struct ib_device.

How should we log an error that happens in-between, preventing us from creating the ib_device?

netdev_err() on the ndev?
dev_err() on the underlying struct device?
pr_err()?

Thanks,
Andrew

* Re: Which print functions to use during early device create?
@ 2020-02-15  0:11 ` Jason Gunthorpe
From: Jason Gunthorpe @ 2020-02-15  0:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andrew Boyer, Jeff Kirsher
  Cc: linux-rdma, Allen Hubbe, Leon Romanovsky, Doug Ledford

On Fri, Feb 14, 2020 at 05:23:29PM -0500, Andrew Boyer wrote:

> When we get a NETDEV_REGISTER event, we get a pointer to the
> existing struct netdev. If all goes well, we end up creating an
> associated struct ib_device.

New rdma drivers cannot use the hacky NETDEV_REGISTER to bind to
netdevs.

Jeff & co are working on 'virtual bus' to provide the right kind of
binding for multi-function PCI devices:

https://patchwork.kernel.org/project/linux-rdma/list/?series=240585

You should probably strike a deal to review their driver if they
review yours :)

Jason