linux-rdma.vger.kernel.org archive mirror
* 5.3-rc8 tests all pass with RDMA/SRP testing
@ 2019-09-12 19:48 Laurence Oberman
From: Laurence Oberman @ 2019-09-12 19:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Van Assche, Bart, linux-rdma, Dutile, Don; +Cc: Rupesh Girase

Bart

My usual 3 month SRP test results show all is still well with SRP
client drivers and multipath.
I am still using 4.16 for the ib_srpt on the target server.

5.3-rc8 ib_srp CX4 100Gbit EDR tests
direct and unbuffered, large and small I/O sizes
port recovery with fault injection

One small observation was that after fault injection it seemed to take
longer to log back in, in that I needed to extend my sleep in the
injection script to avoid some multipaths lose all paths.

I was sleeping 30s between resets prior to this and I would log back in
quick enough to not lose all paths.
My sleep is now 60s

#on ibclient server in /sys/class/srp_remote_ports, using echo 1 >
delete for the particular port will simulate a port reset.

#/sys/class/srp_remote_ports
#[root@ibclient srp_remote_ports]# ls
#port-1:1  port-2:1
for d in /sys/class/srp_remote_ports/*
do
	echo 1 > $d/delete
sleep 60
done

Anyway, seem fine

Regards
Laurence Oberman

* Re: 5.3-rc8 tests all pass with RDMA/SRP testing
@ 2019-09-17 17:59 ` Bart Van Assche
From: Bart Van Assche @ 2019-09-17 17:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Laurence Oberman, linux-rdma, Dutile, Don; +Cc: Rupesh Girase

On 9/12/19 12:48 PM, Laurence Oberman wrote:
> My usual 3 month SRP test results show all is still well with SRP
> client drivers and multipath.
> I am still using 4.16 for the ib_srpt on the target server.
>
> 5.3-rc8 ib_srp CX4 100Gbit EDR tests
> direct and unbuffered, large and small I/O sizes
> port recovery with fault injection
>
> One small observation was that after fault injection it seemed to take
> longer to log back in, in that I needed to extend my sleep in the
> injection script to avoid some multipaths lose all paths.
>
> I was sleeping 30s between resets prior to this and I would log back in
> quick enough to not lose all paths.
> My sleep is now 60s
>
> #on ibclient server in /sys/class/srp_remote_ports, using echo 1 >
> delete for the particular port will simulate a port reset.
>
> #/sys/class/srp_remote_ports
> #[root@ibclient srp_remote_ports]# ls
> #port-1:1  port-2:1
> for d in /sys/class/srp_remote_ports/*
> do
> 	echo 1 > $d/delete
> sleep 60
> done

Hi Laurence,

This is weird. Has this behavior change been observed once or has it
been observed multiple times? I'm asking because in my tests I noticed
that there can be variation between tests depending on how much time the
SCSI error handler spends in its error recovery strategy.

Thanks,

Bart.

* Re: 5.3-rc8 tests all pass with RDMA/SRP testing
@ 2019-09-18 16:17   ` Laurence Oberman
From: Laurence Oberman @ 2019-09-18 16:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bart Van Assche, linux-rdma, Dutile, Don; +Cc: Rupesh Girase

On Tue, 2019-09-17 at 10:59 -0700, Bart Van Assche wrote:
> On 9/12/19 12:48 PM, Laurence Oberman wrote:
> > My usual 3 month SRP test results show all is still well with SRP
> > client drivers and multipath.
> > I am still using 4.16 for the ib_srpt on the target server.
> >
> > 5.3-rc8 ib_srp CX4 100Gbit EDR tests
> > direct and unbuffered, large and small I/O sizes
> > port recovery with fault injection
> >
> > One small observation was that after fault injection it seemed to
> > take
> > longer to log back in, in that I needed to extend my sleep in the
> > injection script to avoid some multipaths lose all paths.
> >
> > I was sleeping 30s between resets prior to this and I would log
> > back in
> > quick enough to not lose all paths.
> > My sleep is now 60s
> >
> > #on ibclient server in /sys/class/srp_remote_ports, using echo 1 >
> > delete for the particular port will simulate a port reset.
> >
> > #/sys/class/srp_remote_ports
> > #[root@ibclient srp_remote_ports]# ls
> > #port-1:1  port-2:1
> > for d in /sys/class/srp_remote_ports/*
> > do
> > 	echo 1 > $d/delete
> > sleep 60
> > done
>
> Hi Laurence,
>
> This is weird. Has this behavior change been observed once or has it
> been observed multiple times? I'm asking because in my tests I
> noticed
> that there can be variation between tests depending on how much time
> the
> SCSI error handler spends in its error recovery strategy.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Bart.

Hi Bart,
Well the tests have been at 30s for quite a while.
The 30s used to be long enough to get by in my tests.
I would have to go back a bit to see when it started seeing these
longer delays but I fully expect it to be related to EH changes to be
honest.

When I started getting hard errors I realized I was taking the second
port out before the first had recovered now.

Just let you know in case you have to change your blktests etc.

Thanks
Laurence