linux-rt-users.vger.kernel.org archive mirror
* [ANNOUNCE] 4.19.132-rt59
@ 2020-07-14 16:58 Tom Zanussi
From: Tom Zanussi @ 2020-07-14 16:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: LKML, linux-rt-users, Steven Rostedt, Thomas Gleixner,
	Carsten Emde, John Kacur, Sebastian Andrzej Siewior,
	Daniel Wagner, Clark Williams, Pavel Machek, Tom Zanussi

Hello RT Folks!

I'm pleased to announce the 4.19.132-rt59 stable release.

This release is just an update to the new stable 4.19.132
version and no RT specific changes have been made.

You can get this release via the git tree at:

  git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/rt/linux-stable-rt.git

  branch: v4.19-rt
  Head SHA1: 1eebf4069aa37e54330cce9a42608517ea6996fe

Or to build 4.19.132-rt59 directly, the following patches should be applied:

  https://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/v4.x/linux-4.19.tar.xz

  https://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/v4.x/patch-4.19.132.xz

  https://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/projects/rt/4.19/patch-4.19.132-rt59.patch.xz

Enjoy!

   Tom

* Re: [ANNOUNCE] 4.19.132-rt59
@ 2020-07-14 18:35 ` Pavel Machek
From: Pavel Machek @ 2020-07-14 18:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tom Zanussi
  Cc: LKML, linux-rt-users, Steven Rostedt, Thomas Gleixner,
	Carsten Emde, John Kacur, Sebastian Andrzej Siewior,
	Daniel Wagner, Clark Williams, Pavel Machek

Hi!

> I'm pleased to announce the 4.19.132-rt59 stable release.
>
> This release is just an update to the new stable 4.19.132
> version and no RT specific changes have been made.
>
> You can get this release via the git tree at:
>
>   git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/rt/linux-stable-rt.git
>
>   branch: v4.19-rt
>   Head SHA1: 1eebf4069aa37e54330cce9a42608517ea6996fe
>
> Or to build 4.19.132-rt59 directly, the following patches should be
> applied:

Thanks a lot.

But now I am confused, I completely missed announcements for
v4.19.127-rt55 to v4.19.131-rt58.

And for example -rt56 is not listed in

https://mirrors.edge.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/projects/rt/4.19/older/sha256sums.asc

...aha, and the versions do not have signed tags, either:

pavel@amd:~/cip/k$ git show v4.19.131-rt58
fatal: ambiguous argument 'v4.19.131-rt58': unknown revision or path not in the working tree.

Is that because they were created just as quick steps towards -rt59?

Best regards,
							Pavel

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: [ANNOUNCE] 4.19.132-rt59
@ 2020-07-14 19:31   ` Tom Zanussi
From: Tom Zanussi @ 2020-07-14 19:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Pavel Machek
  Cc: LKML, linux-rt-users, Steven Rostedt, Thomas Gleixner,
	Carsten Emde, John Kacur, Sebastian Andrzej Siewior,
	Daniel Wagner, Clark Williams

Hi Pavel,

On Tue, 2020-07-14 at 20:35 +0200, Pavel Machek wrote:
> Hi!
>

> > I'm pleased to announce the 4.19.132-rt59 stable release.
> >
> > This release is just an update to the new stable 4.19.132
> > version and no RT specific changes have been made.
> >
> > You can get this release via the git tree at:
> >
> >   git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/rt/linux-stable-
> > rt.git
> >
> >   branch: v4.19-rt
> >   Head SHA1: 1eebf4069aa37e54330cce9a42608517ea6996fe
> >
> > Or to build 4.19.132-rt59 directly, the following patches should be
> > applied:
>
> Thanks a lot.
>
> But now I am confused, I completely missed announcements for
> v4.19.127-rt55 to v4.19.131-rt58.
>
> And for example -rt56 is not listed in

https://mirrors.edge.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/projects/rt/4.19/older/sha256sums.asc

Right, this is because we up the rt version every time we merge a
stable version and have conflicts, and in this release there were a
lot, so it jumped from -rt55 to -rt59.  We only announce the releases
and not the intervening version bumps, which is why you couldn't find
any announcements for them.

There are more details about exactly how the version numbers change
here:

  https://wiki.linuxfoundation.org/realtime/documentation/start

> ...aha, and the versions do not have signed tags, either:
>
> pavel@amd:~/cip/k$ git show v4.19.131-rt58
> fatal: ambiguous argument 'v4.19.131-rt58': unknown revision or path
> not in the working tree.

Yeah, thanks for pointing that out.  Looks like my script doesn't push
the intervening tags correctly, but I've pushed them out now.

> Is that because they were created just as quick steps towards -rt59?

Yeah, pretty much.

Thanks,

Tom

> Best regards,
> 							Pavel

* Re: [ANNOUNCE] 4.19.132-rt59
@ 2020-07-14 19:43   ` Steven Rostedt
From: Steven Rostedt @ 2020-07-14 19:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Pavel Machek
  Cc: Tom Zanussi, LKML, linux-rt-users, Thomas Gleixner, Carsten Emde,
	John Kacur, Sebastian Andrzej Siewior, Daniel Wagner,
	Clark Williams, Kate Stewart

On Tue, 14 Jul 2020 20:35:12 +0200
Pavel Machek <pavel@denx.de> wrote:

> Hi!
>

> > I'm pleased to announce the 4.19.132-rt59 stable release.
> >
> > This release is just an update to the new stable 4.19.132
> > version and no RT specific changes have been made.
> >
> > You can get this release via the git tree at:
> >
> >   git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/rt/linux-stable-rt.git
> >
> >   branch: v4.19-rt
> >   Head SHA1: 1eebf4069aa37e54330cce9a42608517ea6996fe
> >
> > Or to build 4.19.132-rt59 directly, the following patches should be
> > applied:
>
> Thanks a lot.
>
> But now I am confused, I completely missed announcements for
> v4.19.127-rt55 to v4.19.131-rt58.
>
> And for example -rt56 is not listed in
>
> https://mirrors.edge.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/projects/rt/4.19/older/sha256sums.asc
>
> ...aha, and the versions do not have signed tags, either:
>
> pavel@amd:~/cip/k$ git show v4.19.131-rt58
> fatal: ambiguous argument 'v4.19.131-rt58': unknown revision or path not in the working tree.
>
> Is that because they were created just as quick steps towards -rt59?

Ah, I was about to say this is something that Kate keeps reminding me
to add to the wiki, but looking, I already did!

https://wiki.linuxfoundation.org/realtime/documentation/start

"Tagging policy of the PREEMPT_RT stable releases. Each PREEMPT_RT
stable release is tagged with the version number of the upstream Linux
stable kernel as well as its own “-rt” counter that is appended. The
-rt counter will increment for the following:

 - When forward ported to the latest upstream Linux stable version.
 - When any merge with a upstream Linux stable causes a conflict.
 - When a backport of the PREEMPT_RT development branch is done.

A backport will not be done with a forward port of a stable version.
They will be done separately, and tagged separately."

Tom, I sign all tags, we probably should be consistent with that too.

-- Steve

* Re: [ANNOUNCE] 4.19.132-rt59
@ 2020-07-14 19:48     ` Tom Zanussi
From: Tom Zanussi @ 2020-07-14 19:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Steven Rostedt, Pavel Machek
  Cc: LKML, linux-rt-users, Thomas Gleixner, Carsten Emde, John Kacur,
	Sebastian Andrzej Siewior, Daniel Wagner, Clark Williams,
	Kate Stewart

Hi Steve,

On Tue, 2020-07-14 at 15:43 -0400, Steven Rostedt wrote:
> On Tue, 14 Jul 2020 20:35:12 +0200
> Pavel Machek <pavel@denx.de> wrote:
>
> > Hi!
> >

> > > I'm pleased to announce the 4.19.132-rt59 stable release.
> > >
> > > This release is just an update to the new stable 4.19.132
> > > version and no RT specific changes have been made.
> > >
> > > You can get this release via the git tree at:
> > >
> > >   git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/rt/linux-stable-
> > > rt.git
> > >
> > >   branch: v4.19-rt
> > >   Head SHA1: 1eebf4069aa37e54330cce9a42608517ea6996fe
> > >
> > > Or to build 4.19.132-rt59 directly, the following patches should
> > > be
> > > applied:
> >
> > Thanks a lot.
> >
> > But now I am confused, I completely missed announcements for
> > v4.19.127-rt55 to v4.19.131-rt58.
> >
> > And for example -rt56 is not listed in

https://mirrors.edge.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/projects/rt/4.19/older/sha256sums.asc

> > ...aha, and the versions do not have signed tags, either:
> >
> > pavel@amd:~/cip/k$ git show v4.19.131-rt58
> > fatal: ambiguous argument 'v4.19.131-rt58': unknown revision or
> > path not in the working tree.
> >
> > Is that because they were created just as quick steps towards
> > -rt59?
> >

> Ah, I was about to say this is something that Kate keeps reminding me
> to add to the wiki, but looking, I already did!
>
> https://wiki.linuxfoundation.org/realtime/documentation/start
>
> "Tagging policy of the PREEMPT_RT stable releases. Each PREEMPT_RT
> stable release is tagged with the version number of the upstream
> Linux
> stable kernel as well as its own “-rt” counter that is appended. The
> -rt counter will increment for the following:
>
>  - When forward ported to the latest upstream Linux stable version.
>  - When any merge with a upstream Linux stable causes a conflict.
>  - When a backport of the PREEMPT_RT development branch is done.
>
> A backport will not be done with a forward port of a stable version.
> They will be done separately, and tagged separately."
>
> Tom, I sign all tags, we probably should be consistent with that too.

Yeah, so do I, it's just that the srt script doesn't push the
intervening tags (but does push the release tags).

Tom

> -- Steve

* Re: [ANNOUNCE] 4.19.132-rt59
@ 2020-07-15  6:29       ` Daniel Wagner
From: Daniel Wagner @ 2020-07-15  6:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tom Zanussi
  Cc: Steven Rostedt, Pavel Machek, LKML, linux-rt-users,
	Thomas Gleixner, Carsten Emde, John Kacur,
	Sebastian Andrzej Siewior, Clark Williams, Kate Stewart

On Tue, Jul 14, 2020 at 02:48:09PM -0500, Tom Zanussi wrote:
> Yeah, so do I, it's just that the srt script doesn't push the
> intervening tags (but does push the release tags).

It's on the TOOD list to add this feature to srt for ages... sorry haven't
found the time yet