linux-sctp.vger.kernel.org archive mirror
* SCTP testing
@ 2022-02-03 17:48 Petr Vorel
From: Petr Vorel @ 2022-02-03 17:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: automated-testing
  Cc: ltp, linux-sctp, Richard Purdie, Marcelo Ricardo Leitner,
	Neil Horman, Vlad Yasevich, Xin Long, Anders Roxell, Philip Li,
	Tim Bird, Cyril Hrubis, Li Wang, Jan Stancek, Baruch Siach,
	Erico Nunes, Kory Maincent, Thomas Petazzoni, Veronika Kabatova,
	Joerg Vehlow

Hi all,

we've been just discussing, which repository should be hosting SCTP tests [1].

Do you use these SCTP tests? If yes, do you use it from LTP [2] or the official
SCTP kernel developers repository [3] ? If you use integrated to some testing
framework, would it be a problem if repository changes?

Also, do you use LTP network tests at all?

Kind regards,
Petr

[1] https://lore.kernel.org/linux-sctp/YfpnVfrto4Elshy5@pevik/
[2] https://github.com/linux-test-project/ltp/tree/master/utils/sctp
[3] https://github.com/sctp/lksctp-tools

* Re: [Automated-testing] SCTP testing
@ 2022-02-04 13:29 ` Veronika Kabatova
From: Veronika Kabatova @ 2022-02-04 13:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Petr Vorel; +Cc: automated-testing, ltp, linux-sctp

On Thu, Feb 3, 2022 at 6:51 PM Petr Vorel <pvorel@suse.cz> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> we've been just discussing, which repository should be hosting SCTP tests [1].
>
> Do you use these SCTP tests? If yes, do you use it from LTP [2] or the official
> SCTP kernel developers repository [3] ? If you use integrated to some testing
> framework, would it be a problem if repository changes?
>
> Also, do you use LTP network tests at all?

Hi,

we're currently not running these, but if I may offer a suggestion from my
experience: It's easier for people to pick up testing when it's already a
part of a test suite, rather than a separate test that they have to figure
out a) even exists b) how to run it

There are large test suites like LTP, kselftests and xfstests that most
people are aware of, but then you get a lot of smaller tests or random
scripts that, unless you're already familiar with the subsystem or get
them linked directly, people won't find easily. And if a CI system wants
to start running those tests, they most likely need to create a wrapper
to handle test specifics, while the enablement via a larger test suite
is way easier (as they can already handle it and all that's needed is
to enable that specific test subset).

Consolidating smaller tests into LTP or kselftests, where applicable,
would make the testing process more streamlined and easier to follow
for new folks too, as the expected testing could be unified across
subsystems and there would be no surprises.

Veronika

@ 2022-02-08 18:50   ` Petr Vorel
From: Petr Vorel @ 2022-02-08 18:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Veronika Kabatova
  Cc: automated-testing, ltp, linux-sctp, Marcelo Ricardo Leitner,
	Xin Long, Thomas Petazzoni, Neil Horman, Vlad Yasevich,
	Baruch Siach, Philip Li, Joerg Vehlow, Erico Nunes

Hi Veronika, all,

> On Thu, Feb 3, 2022 at 6:51 PM Petr Vorel <pvorel@suse.cz> wrote:

> > Hi all,

> > we've been just discussing, which repository should be hosting SCTP tests [1].

> > Do you use these SCTP tests? If yes, do you use it from LTP [2] or the official
> > SCTP kernel developers repository [3] ? If you use integrated to some testing
> > framework, would it be a problem if repository changes?

> > Also, do you use LTP network tests at all?

> Hi,

> we're currently not running these, but if I may offer a suggestion from my
> experience: It's easier for people to pick up testing when it's already a
> part of a test suite, rather than a separate test that they have to figure
> out a) even exists b) how to run it

> There are large test suites like LTP, kselftests and xfstests that most
> people are aware of, but then you get a lot of smaller tests or random
> scripts that, unless you're already familiar with the subsystem or get
> them linked directly, people won't find easily. And if a CI system wants
> to start running those tests, they most likely need to create a wrapper
> to handle test specifics, while the enablement via a larger test suite
> is way easier (as they can already handle it and all that's needed is
> to enable that specific test subset).

> Consolidating smaller tests into LTP or kselftests, where applicable,
> would make the testing process more streamlined and easier to follow
> for new folks too, as the expected testing could be unified across
> subsystems and there would be no surprises.

Thanks a lot for your input.

Agree, thus from this point it'd make more sense to keep it in LTP.
Given only 2 people responded and none of you actually run these tests.
That suggests little interest in SCTP testing.

@SCTP kernel maintainers: We LTP maintainers don't care which repo will be
chosen it's up to you to decide.

Kind regards,
Petr