linux-serial.vger.kernel.org archive mirror
* (no subject)
@ 2020-09-03 17:36 Barnett, Andy
From: Barnett, Andy @ 2020-09-03 17:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-serial

Title - Edgport/4 compatibility question

Hello there - I am trying to get some legacy EdgePort/4 and 8 devices to work on Linux using Raspberry Pi OS.

I notice in the kernel. org notes, compatibility with Edgeport seems to be a good possibility.
In dmesg I get "usbserial: USB Serial support registered for Edgeport TI 1 port adapter" but no corresponding ttyUSB0-3 being set up.

I also tried adding a folder into lib/firmware called "edgeport" with some firmware I found online but I get multiple "Cannot send clear loopback command" messages in dmesg.  This did seem to create ttyUSBs 0-3 but I could not use these devices.

I do not have any problems connecting with a few Keyspan USA-49W devices (which are also referenced in the Compatibility section in the notes) so I think my machine is good.

Apologies in advance - I am not in anyway a Linux expert.

Any guidance or tips would be appreciated!

Thanks
Andy

Disclaimer: This email and any attachments are sent in strictest confidence for the sole use of the addressee and may contain legally privileged, confidential, and proprietary data. If you are not the intended recipient, please advise the sender by replying promptly to this email and then delete and destroy this email and any attachments without any further use, copying or forwarding.

* Re: your mail
@ 2020-09-18  7:56 ` Johan Hovold
       [not found]   ` <CA+H6KCm1YJ_-X6D61ujqWZDJzTyMBGKCR7W07QpWz9J6CSEwVA@mail.gmail.com>
From: Johan Hovold @ 2020-09-18  7:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Barnett, Andy; +Cc: linux-serial

On Thu, Sep 03, 2020 at 05:36:34PM +0000, Barnett, Andy wrote:
> Title - Edgport/4 compatibility question

> Disclaimer: This email and any attachments are sent in strictest confidence for the sole use of the addressee and may contain legally privileged, confidential, and proprietary data. If you are not the intended recipient, please advise the sender by replying promptly to this email and then delete and destroy this email and any attachments without any further use, copying or forwarding.

Please resend with a proper Subject line and without the above
disclaimer.

And remember to CC the USB list (linux-usb@vger.kernel.org).

Johan

* Re: Edgeport/4 Compatibility Re: your mail
       [not found]   ` <CA+H6KCm1YJ_-X6D61ujqWZDJzTyMBGKCR7W07QpWz9J6CSEwVA@mail.gmail.com>
@ 2020-09-18 14:36     ` Johan Hovold
From: Johan Hovold @ 2020-09-18 14:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andy KN4UCL; +Cc: Johan Hovold, linux-serial

On Fri, Sep 18, 2020 at 06:54:17AM -0400, Andy KN4UCL wrote:
> Hello Johan - resending without disclaimer :-)

Thanks. Also try sending without HTML so that your messages reach the
mailing lists (e.g. gmail's plaintext option).

> I emailed Greg and via automated email indicated I should post my
> question here.

I've added linux-usb on CC as well.

> I am trying to get some legacy EdgePort/4 and 8 devices to work on
> Linux using Raspberry Pi OS.
>
> I notice in the kernel.org notes, compatibility with Edgeport seems to
> be a good possibility.
>
> Can you advise?  I get "cannot send clear loopback command" messages
> in dmesg and these seem to be directly from the driver code I found
> while googling. I assume these errors prevent the serial connection
> from starting up.  Devices seem to behave fine under Windows 10 (if
> that's any kind of validation.)

First, what are the VID and PIDs for these devices?

Perhaps you can include the full output of "lsusb -v" for both types as
well for completeness.

> I do not have any problems with several Keyspan USA-49W devices which
> are also referenced in the Compatibility section in the notes, so I
> think my Linux machine is good.
>
> Apologies - I am not a Linux expert, just an end user.
>
> Any guidance or tips would be appreciated!
>
> Thanks in advance

Johan