linux-spdx.vger.kernel.org archive mirror
* Workflow
@ 2019-05-09 14:11 Thomas Gleixner
From: Thomas Gleixner @ 2019-05-09 14:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-spdx

Folks,

we should ASAP agree on a workflow for going through those 504
patches. Here is my proposal:

  1) Use the one patch per identified pattern approach as demonstrated
     with the first 4.

  2) Focus the review on the 'pattern -> SPDX id' conclusion

  3) Trust the automated patcher to do the right thing.

From my experience with this, it's the most sensible way, as it makes it
scalable.

Versus trusting the patcher: I'm surely spending time on looking at the
actual changes, but that's also massively based on automated analysis which
exposes only unexpected changes and does not force me to stare at 20k+
patched instances.

If we can agree on the above, then I'd like to send out batches of N
patches, where N would be something in the range of 10-25. These patches
are basically changelog only because quite some of the patches are too long
for posting on the list. They surely will contain a git URL so you can look
at the actual file changes as well (if you are masochistic enough).

Ideally we get a quick feedback (OK/NOK) for each patch in a batch. The OK
should be preferrably in the form of a 'Reviewed-by: Your Name <your@mail>'
tag. We'll mention in the changelog that the Review is limited to the
pattern -> SPDX id conclusion and does not cover the actual file level
changes. I'll take the blame when then patcher gets it wrong :)

If a patch is deemed NOK we don't have to sort it out immediately. We can
post pone it and handle it on the side so the queue is not held up.

Once a patch has collected Reviewed-by tags we would apply it to a
repository and send it in batches to Linus.

If a batch is consumed (except for the NOK parts) the next batch would be
posted. Assumed we can handle 10 'pattern -> SPDX id' reviews per day, that
would take ~10 weeks. Which is quite some time when we want to be halfways
SPDX clean for the next LTS kernel. So I rather see larger batches
processed faster :)

Any opinions on the size of the batches and how long it will take to get
the reviews done or any other suggestions for a workable solution?

Thanks,

	tglx