Linux-Watchdog Archive on lore.kernel.org
* Forcing non-ACPI watchdog driver
@ 2020-02-05 15:05 Jean Delvare
From: Jean Delvare @ 2020-02-05 15:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rafael J. Wysocki
  Cc: Len Brown, linux-acpi, Wim Van Sebroeck, Guenter Roeck,
	linux-watchdog, Mika Westerberg, Tom Abraham

Hi all,

Is there a way to prevent the ACPI WDAT watchdog interface from being
used and force the use of a native watchdog driver instead?

I have a customer who reports a regression on kernel upgrade. Old
kernel (v4.4) uses iTCO_wdt and watchdog works, new kernel (v4.12) uses
wdat_wdt and watchdog doesn't work (instant reboot when opening the
device). While I'm going to look for fixes to backport, I think it
would be pretty convenient to have a way to just revert to the working
driver until the new driver is fixed somehow. But I can't see any way
to do that at the moment, short of disabling ACPI completely, which is
definitely too extreme to be considered.

Am I missing something?

Jean Delvare
SUSE L3 Support